Post-Game Talk: Too Much Turkey

iCanada

Feb 6, 2010
Edmonton
Kind of depressing in here.

Overall wasn't an awful game, I was quite ok with the outing aside from the second period where we fell asleep for about 10 minutes in the middle there. When we stuck to our gameplan and played the body we had a pretty solid road game, all things considered.

Chicago was clearly motivated to run their first game of the year much like the devil's were. There is a certain urgency you get from that position that you can't match when you're not in that position. Chicago was also line matching quite hard with home ice and clearly had a specific gameplan in mind for us.

Being our 4th straight road game after two weeks of travel as well, we had no time to game plan for them like they had for us; they have been at home since the 5th of October. Instead of a day of travel the Hawks had two days at home of practice since their last loss. That's a big advantage.

All that in context; this was a one goal game on the road where McDrai didn't register a point. We got pulled away from our gameplan, but all things considered it wasn't a terrible outing. A few bounces go sightly differently and this is a much different game. Indeed, as far as high danger scoring chances go we were nearly dead even. McDrai can't score every game, not even Gretz and Moose did; keeping in mind the circumstances and our best guys having an off night, it wasn't an awful outing.

The powerplay was good. PK was good. Smith was good. We had some physical pushback and had a chance to tie the game and force points we didn't deserve. Some real good signs.

Persson got bullied a little, hopefully he bounces back. Khaira has been rightfully ousted here a bit, need more from him.

I think Jurco has escaped criticism, but I think he hasn't shown anything for a few games. He's not winning pick battles, the play is dying on his stick. He's largely been a floater on that second line, and as the third wheel there you need him to be adding more. I'd like to see him ousted from that line, I think Nygard has shown last few games that he can do the board work and support the play a little better. I also think that line as a whole could use some more speed; if Nuge isn't carrying the puck in with numbers they don't have the size or the speed to retrieve pucks off the dump in. I think if Nygard can do that on that line life he's been on lower lines it'd be a big big deal. Get a second 5on5 scoring threat. Which would be huge; the bottom six has gotten a lot of heat in this thread but I think that's undeserved, if we had some zone time threat from Nuges line that's a different game. We're never going to win games because our bottom 6 outplays the other teams bottom 6... Chia pissed away too much talent for that. If they can tie up 30 minutes of ice with low event hockey they are doing their job as the team is built; and they've done that 6 times in a row. But some point you need some scoring threat from your second line, and they havn't done that at 5 on 5 more times than they have.

McDrai will be the best two players on the ice more times than not. They had an off game, which is acceptable considering they are tied for #1 in scoring. This was a game where we needed our second line to pick up some slack and they had nothing going. We need more from them.

I'm also excited to see how this group rebounds from their first real adversity this year.

Zguy370

Dec 25, 2007
If Khaira had taken his man, Kane never would’ve got the shot off for the first goal. Seriously, ever seen a LW back up for no reason on a defensive zone draw? What was he doing? If anything he should have either tied up Kane in the slot or raced to cover the point man, he did neither and that first goal is all on him.
Honestly, I don't know why Kharia was resigned or what he brings to the team, that $$ could of been used wiser

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Thought both Leon and Connor were pretty nonchalant with the puck all night, fair chunk of turnovers although the official stats don't seem to reflect that. Perhaps I am off base.

Chicago played a very good puck pressure game and theres still lots of skill on that club in topsix and they can skate and defend. Keith, and the Hawks D corps had a strong night. Separation and time and space was hard to come by in this one. They weren't letting the Oilers gain the line with control, weren't allowing us to get setup. They just weren't getting the space to make plays. It happens, credit opponents. The Oilers weren't sharp, not completely on top of their games but Drai made plenty of plays that didn't cash, played 27mins and played several pk's (shouldn't be happening)

The problem on this team, everybody knows. We still have a few doofuses that don't belong anywhere near the NHL.

Khaira with one of the worst games you'll ever see a bottomsix player play. Deflected a puck in his own net for the crucial first goal that changed the whole outcome of the game. Took two stupid penalties and was on the wrong side of the puck, and losing puck battles all night. He was a complete passenger.

Archibald? Anybody care to mention one play he's made since being here? Is it in his contract that he shoot every top scoring chance wide or high? Seems to do very little else and not involved in the play.

Chiasson was completely useless and theres no way that's the same urgency from him as last season.

On some nights the top guys need some help from the lineup. Drai played 27mins, was exhausted after the 2nd period but was a horse in this game. Kass had a particularly bad game, was not good on the puck and was not holding onto it.

I thought Neal and Nuge played reasonably well but Jurco had a bad outing. I'm a bit concerned as he's falling off. Needs to be better to stay in topsix.

Reactions: Nunymare

PinSeeker

Really narrowed his eyyyyyyyyyesssssss
Aug 22, 2005
YLW
Forgot, Nuge hit the bar too. He is still looking for his first of the year.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
u should have watched Packers-Lions game. I’m a Packers fan and I thought officiating was terrible on Lions

Goes both ways. I thought the Lions were guilty of PI or holding recievers on a lot of the plays.

The Packers were much better on the day and without self destructing on some drives and really bad dropped balls they get two more TD's on the day. Seemed to me like the Lions were only in the game due to the Packers not being sharp and having some key injuries.

I mean the main reason I was watching at all was Aaron Rodgers and he's great. he was dropping filthy passes into tight coverage all day and being a god out there willing his club to victory. With better receivers and without fumbles and drops by other players its not even close.

I was cheering Packers all day. Why not?

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Forgot, Nuge hit the bar too. He is still looking for his first of the year.

Nuge had a quiet, but strong outing. He did his part. That was a fantastic screen shot from a smart player. Was unlucky not to go in. The downlow pass to Neal for the goal was sheer brilliance. Nuge takes the time to back up and change the passing angle and slides it across perfectly. Easy goal for somebody as good as Neal.

But defensively Nuge was engaged, playing on the right side of the puck, and was tireless forchecking. The topsix last night got zero help. You can't win all the games with two lines.

Hopelesslucicfan

Larsson fanclub 2016
Mar 14, 2009
Edmonton
The worst part for me is we passed on more expensive help in the top 6 this offseason so we could create competition and really help the bottom 6 out, only for them to have nearly no production over 6 games. These guys should be on such a short leash that a single bad game should give someone else a shot.

Nygard haas and Sheahan are the only 3 players who’s played well enough to not have been sitting so far imo, but for some reason haas has been sitting in favour of junk.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Random comment but loser add of the year goes to "Popeyes Chicken" Screenflash "here we go Oilers"

They put that on bottom screen during the break in play, its still on when Hawks score first goal. Disrupts view of play, takes up 20% of screen and frankly f*** off with on screen advertising. Do not want to see again.

That add would make me not to want to eat the garbage, not that I would anyway.

People should complain about adds like that as if as fans we let that stuff go we're going to be seeing a lot more of it impeding the onscreen view.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
The worst part for me is we passed on more expensive help in the top 6 this offseason so we could create competition and really help the bottom 6 out, only for them to have nearly no production over 6 games. These guys should be on such a short leash that a single bad game should give someone else a shot.

Nygard haas and Sheahan are the only 3 players who’s played well enough to not have been sitting so far imo, but for some reason haas has been sitting in favour of junk.

P Russel is a hard worker giving it every game and he's sitting in the press box. Haas has played well and he wasn't in either.

Looks like Khaira and Archibald really need to come out.

I haven't been a big fan of Granlund and he's got no finish right now but his play was solid and he did his part. Khaira was caving the line he was on all by himself and not even Sheahan could hold him up. Nobody can in bottomsix. Khaira experiment is done. This player is completely flatlined.

Khaira is -3, worst on the team, on a team with nice goal differential, that had won every game prior to last night. He of course has zero box cars, exactly what you'd expect from this no talent scrub, and the last time he even scored a goal was Jan 16. He has one goal in 2019. He's not even getting scoring chances.

Reactions: Darkwinter

Skolman

Feb 16, 2018
Meh, still 5-1. Can't complain about that start.

I'm predicting we win at least 3 of our next 4 games.

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
The Packers were much better? Yeah ok.
The Lions got jobbed by the refs, the entire football world (including Packers faithful) thinks that but there will always be somebody who takes a contrarian view.

gordonhught

Feb 18, 2009
No production from the bottom six.

Bring up Benson, Marody and waive 2 of Haas, Russell, Chiasson, and Archibald.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Win 5 games and people are talking about how the bottom 6 has speed, playing strong defensively......

Lose 1 game and they are all trash!

I get the concern but we are going to have deal with a bottom 6 that struggles to score all season.

I am not throwing away Jujar as he has had some great possession play before tonight. Still have hope on Nygard, Jurco etc

Again, can’t wait to see how they respond at home.

Yes, but pay attention to the game to game lineup changes. Haas, P Russell who have given honest efforts every game and have helped out with impeccable smart play, and almost always getting the puck forward were both out. Khaira and Archibald who haven't been good yet, were both in. Small changes like that impacted adversely. Both those players were line killers tonight. They were just awful.

Still some weeding to do. The positive news is new players like Jurco, Nygard, Haas, Sheahan, and P Russell have all looked good in bottomxix. We just don't have a lot of useful depth. Some of what we thing is depth, they aren't playing a solid game when given a chance. Shame on Archibald. Should be much better than this.

Really its probably time to take another look at Gagner or get the best workers in the lineup and keep them there. I haven't seen a bad shift from Russell and Haas yet but they're getting HS multiple times.

Anarchism

John Henry
May 23, 2019
northern alberta
P Russel is a hard worker giving it every game and he's sitting in the press box. Haas has played well and he wasn't in either.

Looks like Khaira and Archibald really need to come out.

I haven't been a big fan of Granlund and he's got no finish right now but his play was solid and he did his part. Khaira was caving the line he was on all by himself and not even Sheahan could hold him up. Nobody can in bottomsix. Khaira experiment is done. This player is completely flatlined.

Khaira is -3, worst on the team, on a team with nice goal differential, that had won every game prior to last night. He of course has zero box cars, exactly what you'd expect from this no talent scrub, and the last time he even scored a goal was Jan 16. He has one goal in 2019. He's not even getting scoring chances.
Archibald likely getting close to the end of his rope....Khaira likely given another 20/25 games to try to find some consistency and fix his game--
Jurco certainly not ready now for top six ...maybe try Jurco --Sheahan --Prussel and Khaira--Granlund--Kassian

Oct 15, 2008
If Khaira had taken his man, Kane never would’ve got the shot off for the first goal. Seriously, ever seen a LW back up for no reason on a defensive zone draw? What was he doing? If anything he should have either tied up Kane in the slot or raced to cover the point man, he did neither and that first goal is all on him.
He had an absolutely horrid game.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
The Packers were much better? Yeah ok.
The Lions got jobbed by the refs, the entire football world (including Packers faithful) thinks that but there will always be somebody who takes a contrarian view.

Packers had 453yds offense to the Lions 322.

I tuned in to the game with the score 13-0 Lions and saw the Packers be better the rest of the way. At no point did I think the Packers were not pulling it out. Like I said the only reason it was close was a really bad fumble on a gauranteed scoring drive and an absolutely abysmal drop on a TD ball that was perfectly thrown to a player that was wide open.

The Packers had 131 more yds offense despite those abysmal miscues.

Aaron Rodgers was Fantastic. Packers won, despite him getting little help.

Lets be clear too. The Lions D wasn't all that great and gave up lol 170yds rushing, in the NFL. lolol

The only entertainment in this game that I saw was provided by the Packers.

Zaddy

Feb 8, 2013
Didn't watch the game but a lot of posts in this thread makes it sound like Khaira killed their puppy. Seems a bit reactionary considering he's been good to great in the last 4 games at least and his line has put more pressure on the opposition than any of the other lines that doesn't feature McDrai. Looking at the numbers it's quite impressive too considering Khaira has exactly 1 offensive zone start at ES (2 in total) so far this season, Sheahan has 0. Him and Sheahan are doing what a 4th line should be doing. They're not the problem. The other line, the supposed 3rd line doesn't really bring anything to the table. They're getting the easier minutes and they're doing jack squat with it.

Also find it funny how the knives are out for Khaira, but McDavid played 26 minutes, had no points and was responsible for the turnover that led to the game-winning goal, but you don't see much talk in this thread about that or how horrible he is and needs to sit. He's been having some real bad giveaways all season. Big double-standard when it comes to certain players.

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
Packers had 453yds offense to the Lions 322.

I tuned in to the game with the score 13-0 Lions and saw the Packers be better the rest of the way. At no point did I think the Packers were not pulling it out. Like I said the only reason it was close was a really bad fumble on a gauranteed scoring drive and an absolutely abysmal drop on a TD ball that was perfectly thrown to a player that was wide open.

The Packers had 131 more yds offense despite those abysmal miscues.

Aaron Rodgers was Fantastic. Packers won, despite him getting little help.

Lets be clear too. The Lions D wasn't all that great and gave up lol 170yds rushing, in the NFL. lolol

The only entertainment in this game that I saw was provided by the Packers.

The yardage is deceiving because the Packers were playing from behind the entire game. It's like a hockey team outshooting their opponent by double digits after being down multiple goals most of the game.

The Packers made some mistakes but so did the Lions (dropped TD pass and dropped 1st down late in the game).

The fact of the matter is that they had a 22-13 lead with about 9 minutes left, sacked Rodgers on the 3rd down then the first phantom flag was thrown out AFTER he was sacked. That right there would have effectively ended the game. Not to mention the second phantom flag as well on a critical 3rd down.

The Lions should have put the game away earlier and let the Packers off the hook but the refs cost them this one. It makes you wonder about conspiracy theories after a game like that with the league favoring their sweetheart teams. The Packers/Patriots/Cowboys trio is the NFL version of California reffing with the Lions being the Oilers.

oXo Cube

Power Play Merchant
Nov 4, 2008
In your closet
Also find it funny how the knives are out for Khaira, but McDavid played 26 minutes, had no points and was responsible for the turnover that led to the game-winning goal, but you don't see much talk in this thread about that or how horrible he is and needs to sit. He's been having some real bad giveaways all season. Big double-standard when it comes to certain players.

Yeah I mean it's almost like the literal best player in the world has a longer leash than a replacement level winger.

Pretty crazy you're right.

ThePhoenixx

Aug 7, 2005
Didn't watch the game but a lot of posts in this thread makes it sound like Khaira killed their puppy. Seems a bit reactionary considering he's been good to great in the last 4 games at least and his line has put more pressure on the opposition than any of the other lines that doesn't feature McDrai. Looking at the numbers it's quite impressive too considering Khaira has exactly 1 offensive zone start at ES (2 in total) so far this season, Sheahan has 0. Him and Sheahan are doing what a 4th line should be doing. They're not the problem. The other line, the supposed 3rd line doesn't really bring anything to the table. They're getting the easier minutes and they're doing jack squat with it.

You just compared McDavid to Khaira.

Reactions: TB12

Messrules11

6 Cups, elbows up.
Nov 23, 2018

Lmao, you’re going to compare Khaira to McD? That’s rich. Khaira good to great? Wow! Easily the worst take I’ve seen on this board.

Reactions: Darkwinter

Zaddy

Feb 8, 2013
Yeah I mean it's almost like the literal best player in the world has a longer leash than a replacement level winger.

Pretty crazy you're right.

My point is that Khaira has been good this season, the level of hate he is getting for one bad game is disproportionate. If Khaira or any other player (even Drai) had that turnover everyone would be roasting that player. I get that McDavid gets a longer leash, he should, but it seems like it's going a little far here.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad