Post-Game Talk: Too Much Turkey

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
If Smith ever stayed in his damn net that would be nice .His show boating going to cause us a few games this year and get kassian off of first line .to many plays are falling apart cause of him .

I'd rather have to work on that than have to work on actually stopping the puck, because his save percentage is something crazy like .930 outside of the LA flubs. If he's bring that kind of goaltending to the table, it's a game changer for this team as Talbot was in 16-17.

The one in Chicago I think you live with, it happens now and again.

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
Not even that upset about the loss. We were in it right until the very end.

We weren’t going 82-0. Move on to the next one.

We won 3 of 4 on this road trip, can’t ask for much more than that.

SupremeTeam16

5-14-6-1
May 31, 2013
Baker’s Bay
Have to lose some time and I liked that despite being down by 2 it felt that we always still had a chance. Hung in in there with a team that was desperate for their first win, despite some miscues and mistakes and Mcdavid really seemed to be fighting it a bit. To me, this was a game that in the past the team wouldn't of even showed up for. Last game on a road trip against a hungry team, it would of been two or three nothing after one period and we would of lost going away and looking uninspired the whole time.

Slats432

Jun 2, 2002
hockeypedia.com
Man I will jump in here with "Ok it is only one loss, and still optimistic based on how we are playing."

That said Jujhar has been poor this season and this is supposed to be a turnaround for him. I don't get his game right now...and if we lose a guy like him on waivers, so be it, he isn't going to help anyone other than Calgary if they insert him for Lucic...hahaha. :naughty:

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
I'd rather have to work on that than have to work on actually stopping the puck, because his save percentage is something crazy like .930 outside of the LA flubs. If he's bring that kind of goaltending to the table, it's a game changer for this team as Talbot was in 16-17.

The one in Chicago I think you live with, it happens now and again.
It also never happens if McDavid doesn't make that shit turn over and then glides back into the zone and Persson doesn't panick.

Reactions: RegDunlop

Dazed and Confused

Ludicrous speed, GO!
Aug 10, 2007
Berlin, Germany
Seems like the game where some of the early season puck luck balanced out.

Watching the highlights, I think swapping out Haas for Granlund has resulted the bottom 6 having the same issue as last year: they're too slow, one great skater in Nygård doesn't make enough of a difference.

Even though I like Khaira normally, I think he earned this trip to the PB for a game or two.

I know neither of them have earned a promotion into the top 6, but I wouldn't be opposed to move Granlund or Chiasson up and Jurco down in order to add a little more creativity to the bottom 6.

What I'm thinking for next game...

Draisaitl-McDavid-Kassian
Chiasson-RNH-Neal
Nygård-Haas-Jurco
Granlund-Sheahan-Archibald

Maybe also give Russell a shot over Archibald.

Last edited:

gordonhught

Feb 18, 2009
Chiasson-RNH-Neal
Nygård-Haas-Jurco

Nope.

Drai / McDavid / Kassian
RNH / Neal / Nygaard
Gagner/Marody/Benson
Granlund/Sheahan/Chiasson

Khaira / Russell / Haas / Jurco (waive or trade two)

Waive Archibald.

Reactions: TheRebuild

Zguy370

Dec 25, 2007
What I'm thinking for next game...

Chiasson-RNH-Neal
Nygård-Haas-Jurco

Best lineup I can also think of. Defintely for a couple of games, see how it pans out.
I would swap Archibald for Russell. But Kassian on that first line could be a head scratcher very soon

Dazed and Confused

Ludicrous speed, GO!
Aug 10, 2007
Berlin, Germany
Nope.

Drai / McDavid / Kassian
RNH / Neal / Nygaard
Gagner/Marody/Benson
Granlund/Sheahan/Chiasson

Khaira / Russell / Haas / Jurco (waive or trade two)

Waive Archibald.

I wouldn't be completely opposed if the team is looking something like that come January*, though I don't think it's the right approach for now.

The kids should get at least 20 games in Bakersfield; only at that point do you look at bringing up the cream of the crop. (Be it Gagner, Marody, Benson, Yamamoto, or even someone out of left field like McLeod or Makismov)

*Only big issue I have is I don't want Nygård in the top 6. He's a nice fit on the 3rd or 4th lines, but I don't see the talent to play in the top 6; much like Haglin or Rieder. If you want a speedy option with Nuge and Neal, then hope Yamamoto does enough to earn a look.

gordonhught

Feb 18, 2009
I wouldn't be completely opposed if the team is looking something like that come January*, though I don't think it's the right approach for now.

The kids should get at least 20 games in Bakersfield; only at that point do you look at bringing up the cream of the crop. (Be it Gagner, Marody, Benson, Yamamoto, or even someone out of left field like McLeod or Makismov)

*Only big issue I have is I don't want Nygård in the top 6. He's a nice fit on the 3rd or 4th lines, but I don't see the talent to play in the top 6; much like Haglin or Rieder. If you want a speedy option with Nuge and Neal, then hope Yamamoto does enough to earn a look.

Yeah. I don't really care about Nygaard either. I would consider Nygaard /Benson / Marody on the third line. Nygaard would give that line some speed.

McOvechking

Apr 28, 2009
Edmonton, Alberta
Best lineup I can also think of. Defintely for a couple of games, see how it pans out.
I would swap Archibald for Russell. But Kassian on that first line could be a head scratcher very soon
Some games Kassian looks like the perfect compliment to the top line. Other games he looks like a boat anchor that brings McDavid and Draisaitl down to his level of skating, puck handling, and decision making.

Last night was an example of the latter.

Reactions: Mez

Senor Catface

Jul 25, 2006
I think it's clear how the coaching staff views Benson as well, since we're on the topic of calling up players. In his closing remarks on Benson, Tippett said that the player would not be in the minors long and was "very very close" so I wouldn't be surprised to see him up this year for a 20-30 game look.

Gagner would be my first option as I want to see Benson play 10-15 games to get into the flow of the season.

gordonhught

Feb 18, 2009
Some games Kassian looks like the perfect compliment to the top line. Other games he looks like a boat anchor that brings McDavid and Draisaitl down to his level of skating, puck handling, and decision making.

Last night was an example of the latter.

Kassian needs to remember what got him on that line. Skate fast, give the puck to McDrai, get pucks out of corners, act as a deterrent for someone running a linemate.

That is about it. Once he gets overconfident and starts making plays, he falters. Not that he can't make a play, but he is not nearly as good at it as the other two are and he needs to focus on getting them the puck.

gordonhught

Feb 18, 2009
I think it's clear how the coaching staff views Benson as well, since we're on the topic of calling up players. In his closing remarks on Benson, Tippett said that the player would not be in the minors long and was "very very close" so I wouldn't be surprised to see him up this year for a 20-30 game look.

Gagner would be my first option as I want to see Benson play 10-15 games to get into the flow of the season.

Gagner Benson need a quick skater with them, but I would put them on a third/fourth line. I bet they would get points. Can't PK though.

iCanada

Feb 6, 2010
Edmonton
Kassian needs to remember what got him on that line. Skate fast, give the puck to McDrai, get pucks out of corners, act as a deterrent for someone running a linemate.

That is about it. Once he gets overconfident and starts making plays, he falters. Not that he can't make a play, but he is not nearly as good at it as the other two are and he needs to focus on getting them the puck.

That we had literally no one else to put there?

Not sure that we need Kass to remember that. Lol.

gordonhught

Feb 18, 2009
That we had literally no one else to put there?

Not sure that we need Kass to remember that. Lol.

Not sure I agree. They tried lots of players there and no one was a fit.

Kassian demanded a trade last year. I can't remember what happened, but he got himself on the first line and looked decent.

He may not have been the first choice, but he is the best winger to play with McDrai since those two became a pair.

Reactions: RegDunlop
Oct 15, 2008
I love Khaira but the man has got to sit and decide if he wants to be a hockey player. If he can’t crack this line up it’s over.

What may help this is if Tippet spreads a few more minutes to the bottom end of the lineup. May save the dynamic duos legs for when the games really matter ;)
If they don’t win now they will be saving their legs for the golf course.

SupremeTeam16

5-14-6-1
May 31, 2013
Baker’s Bay
I'd like to see Haas back in and on a line with Nygard. I thought they were working well together.

Our bottom 6 this season is definitely improved in the defensive and compete departments. Defensive zone starts come with territory and they've done alright getting the play moving in the right direction, getting sustained zone time and generation chances occasionally but at the end of the day you need to be contributing. 1 goal between 5-6 guys over a 5 game stretch isn't going to cut it and as the season goes on if they can't pump up those numbers a bit then bring up guys like Benson, Marody and Yamamoto up, give them some games and see if they can provide a spark.

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
Khaira has had 2 very bad games this season and he's had the rest where he's done enough to stay in the lineup. Not great by any means but just grinding and cyclign with some good players.

But look at what he's supposed to be vs what he is. This is a guy with size and weight who isn't hitting enough, and isn't hitting hard enough, and isn't making anybody out there take numbers.

He isn't being an antagonizer, he isn't getting in grills, he's not drawing retaliation players. Good to great roleplayers do that, wherever their zone starts are. On the play I mention last night Shaw, a runt of a player finishes a better check than Khaira has made all season and Khaira gets the retaliation penalty for mildly going at Shaw who was laughing at him after. Shaw smoked an Oiler, AND the Hawks got a PP as added benefit. When is Khaira delivering the team that kind of intangible benefit? Khaira is in the show because he's a strong lad capable of some mayhem. He's very clearly not doing that. He got schooled on the sequence by Shaw, and would 9 times out of 10.

I said last year and this year so far, that Khaira is not engaged nearly enough. Far too passive, and for a guy that is supposedly on the bubble, he seems far too comfortable. Totally agree with you and others, we need way more from him.

ToeMcDrag83

5-14-6-1
Aug 25, 2010
Oil Country
I think Kassian's minutes just need to be a bit more controlled. He's pushing 19 minutes the last few games.
He's fine with McDrai, but it wouldn't hurt to give a rep to Neal there every so often in game. After a PK or something.
Closer Kassian is to 15 minutes a night, the more effective he'll be in my opinion.

dssource

5-14-6-1=97
Jun 29, 2012
Team looked tired. Last game of a successful road trip. Was still close but we def need to be better in the next game. Go home. Get some rest. Play better on Wednesday.

harpoon

Dec 23, 2005
His speed looks the same, he's bobbling some pucks and forcing some passes and not missing some shots ... that looks to me more like a summer of not being able to scrimmage or practice at game speed
Exactly what I’m seeing as well. The bold was particularly evident last night. And it wasn’t just McDavid. That entire line was trying to thread impossible passes through a maze of sticks and legs all night long. It happened at least seven or eight times. Even Kassian somehow thinks he’s a finesse player now.

Thing is, McDavid and Draisaitl have the skill to make those passes click. We’ve seen it. If even one or two of those passes last night make it through it would have created the kind of chance that those guys don’t miss on, and maybe we are talking about a different result in the game. I think they have to go for it, and fans have to realize that McDavid didn’t get proper prep this offseason and both those guys will definitely get sharper as they get more games under their belts.

I also kind of wonder if they weren’t trying to showboat a bit. Oneupsmanship. Seems like something that often happens to the Oilers when they face Kane and Toews. I’m probably off on that, but I can’t help but feel like there were more high risk plays attempted last night than usual.

Reactions: Oilhawks

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
The Oilers had McD and Drai both with breakaways with time before Chicago even got on the board. Generally that's a 50/50 proposition and we got neither. Didn't Nuge hit the post too before Hawks scored? Happens sometimes and Hawks were getting some stellar goaltending.

If anything goes for us at all in the first two periods, any goal, and its a different game. Its not too many times this club is going to be shut out for 58mins.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad