Speculation: Too many wingers

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
I've got 13 forwards ideally. I've toyed with the 14 forwards concept, but that means someone under 22 is in the press box, certainly not something that benefits a prospect in any manner other then financially.

1) Ehlers / Scheifele / Wheeler
2) Laine / Little / Stafford
3) Burmistrov / Perrault / Dano (or some combination of)
4) Matthis/ Lowry / Armia

with Thorburn as the 13th. This leaves the Moose set up as:

1) Connor / Petan / Kosmachuk
2) Lemieux / Copp / Lipon
3) Howden / De Leo / Lodge
4) Blomquist / Olsen / Tanev

with Peluso as the 13th.

If Connor makes the the Jets, then Dano gets pushed down.

There seems to be just enough NHL & AHL roster spots to go around, before considering AHL contracts like Darren Kramer (LW), Brandon Denham (RW), Jiri Fronk (RW)

The numbers work out except that we need a choice between Thor & Peluso for 13th man. I would keep Thor with the Jets. The whole 'minder' role doesn't make any sense at all so it doesn't matter who wins the fights. The only real need is to have somebody show up once in a while. Thor does that. Let Peluso perform a similar role with the Moose.

Remember before we won the lottery? Connor was a lock to make the Jets in TC and to be in the top 6 before Xmas. Now with the arrival of Laine and the signing of Matthias plus the non-trade of Stafford there is no room for him. What the heck kind meshuganah youth movement is this? :laugh: I think he should be 3LW instead of Burmi but Burmi doesn't clear waivers. Or does he?

antiqueslivers

Apr 16, 2015
3) Dano/Perreault/connor
4) Matthis/ Lowry(or Copp) / Armia

trade Stafford at the Trade deadline and then shift the rw up one and replace armia on the 4th with either Burmi or lowry/copp.

I would love to see that

jetsfaneh

Feb 15, 2015
3) Dano/Perreault/connor
4) Matthis/ Lowry(or Copp) / Armia

trade Stafford at the Trade deadline and then shift the rw up one and replace armia on the 4th with either Burmi or lowry/copp.

I would love to see that

This. This guy gets it!

Jetfaninflorida

Southernmost Jet Fan
Dec 13, 2013
Florida
Stafford was a moderate overpay at the time, but it helped with the near term optics of the trade with the Sabres. Medium term (now) that trade is looking very much in our favor.

But the overpay has consequences if you want to move Stafford now - probably have to retain some salary. Not such a bad thing because it would probably be less than $1M to retain if we could find a LHD but easier said than done.

But I like Stafford to start the season. I would like us to go into a year with an abundance of forwards. See how we do compared to all the years where it was an abundance of AHLers and our coach was afraid to play our fourth line.

Jetsetter

Mar 2, 2015
Winnerpeg
I'd love to try Armia as the R winger with Little and Laine. Size, speed, great in the corners (seems to always come up with the puck), motivated.

puck stoppa

Jul 5, 2011
Winnipeg
Stafford was a moderate overpay at the time, but it helped with the near term optics of the trade with the Sabres. Medium term (now) that trade is looking very much in our favor.

But the overpay has consequences if you want to move Stafford now - probably have to retain some salary. Not such a bad thing because it would probably be less than $1M to retain if we could find a LHD but easier said than done.

But I like Stafford to start the season. I would like us to go into a year with an abundance of forwards. See how we do compared to all the years where it was an abundance of AHLers and our coach was afraid to play our fourth line.

Agreed, but I have this feeling Pmo won't play his fourth line more than 7-8 min. I like Pmo but he likes to ride top guys, I'd love 10-11 minutes from fourth line guys, as it pays off at end of season, we finally have the guns to do it so here's hopin.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
Should have picked Forsberg in 2012.

Don't think so. The Jets are stacked on the wings for the foreseeable future, with some elite young talent...

Wheeler, Laine, Ehlers, Connor, Perreault, Dano, Armia, Petan, Roslovic, Lemieux...

Trouba will be a cornerstone on D, which is exactly what the organization needs.

YWGinYYZ

Jul 3, 2011
Toronto
Should have picked Forsberg in 2012.

Forsberg is an extremely good forward, but I'm still happy we have Trouba (and will be even happier when we lock him up), as defense is so incredibly important. Stack up Wheeler, Laine, Connor, (sometimes) Perreault, Ehlers, Dano, etc, and there's not much need for another top flight forward.

ecolad

Nov 17, 2015
I too believe that we would benefit greatly by placing Armia on the second line with Little and Liaine.

Firstly, such an arrangement increases probability that Armia reaches his highest potential- whatever that may be. He has been forged/shaped into the player he is currently, but it is not too hard to see that he has much more to offer if he can play with skilled players and regain confidence in an offensive game abandoned many years ago.

More importantly though, IMO Armia (even with low confidence levels) has the best overall style of play to COMPLEMENT Little and Liaine. He has learned to position himself well in all zones and will help stabilize things as Liaine adjusts to the pro game. In the neutral/ offensive zones he will be content letting his linemates drive the play (never his strength) but has the hockey sense and skills to support/ pressure/retrieve loose pucks and find the open linemate. And of course he has the size and speed to play this role effectively.

Really hope we see this at least given a fair trial by Maurice this coming season,

Weezeric

Jan 27, 2015
Can we take a moment to think about a Connor-scheifele-ehlers-buff-Laine power play next year or the year after....??

DeepFrickinValue

Formally Ruffus
May 14, 2015
Agreed, but I have this feeling Pmo won't play his fourth line more than 7-8 min. I like Pmo but he likes to ride top guys, I'd love 10-11 minutes from fourth line guys, as it pays off at end of season, we finally have the guns to do it so here's hopin.

4th line needs to play more and maybe get 10 gosls each

Last edited:

Sperss1997

Oct 29, 2015
Aarhus
Can we take a moment to think about a Connor-scheifele-ehlers-buff-Laine power play next year or the year after....??

I think that Wheeler, Scheifele, Byfuglien and Laine should be mandatory in the first pp unit.

The last spot im not so sure of. Ehlers is a possibility, but so is Perrault and maybe Little.

I think Ehlers will get the job to begin with, but I wouldn't be surprised if Perrault is the first choice. Connor, I dont know too much about what he can do, but the other guys are so skilled that I believe Connor as a rookie will be in the 2nd pp unit at best. He will get his chances later in the season.

But yes, as you wrote, in time this pp line-up could be deadly and fun to watch :)

puck stoppa

Jul 5, 2011
Winnipeg

I'd mix it up, if we run umbrella style I'd go
Laine, buff, Ehlers, scheif, wheeler

Then second unit
Staff, little, Connor, perreault, trouba

Whileee

May 29, 2010
I'd mix it up, if we run umbrella style I'd go
Laine, buff, Ehlers, scheif, wheeler

Then second unit
Staff, little, Connor, perreault, trouba

I like this, as long as Connor gets the right half wall instead of Perreault. Perreault struggled there a lot last season. Staff needs to be a net front presence on the second unit.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
I think that Wheeler, Scheifele, Byfuglien and Laine should be mandatory in the first pp unit.

The last spot im not so sure of. Ehlers is a possibility, but so is Perrault and maybe Little.

I think Ehlers will get the job to begin with, but I wouldn't be surprised if Perrault is the first choice. Connor, I dont know too much about what he can do, but the other guys are so skilled that I believe Connor as a rookie will be in the 2nd pp unit at best. He will get his chances later in the season.

But yes, as you wrote, in time this pp line-up could be deadly and fun to watch :)

Ehlers on the first pp, please. He's a genius and Perreault struggled there last year (on the half wall).

ecolad

Nov 17, 2015
I like this, as long as Connor gets the right half wall instead of Perreault. Perreault struggled there a lot last season. Staff needs to be a net front presence on the second unit.

Maybe we really need a "true net front presence" guy to make the second pp unit work? Maybe no Staff but instead Lemieux ?

Whileee

May 29, 2010
He also did amazing the year prior, on the half wall.

I kept waiting for Perreault to click last season. I kept watching him make poor decisions with the puck, and he kept shooting at the goalie's crest while the goalie was completely set. I think Ehlers is a much better offensive player, with better and quicker reads. Connor might not be ready for that role, so I'd be fine with Perreault on the half wall on the 2nd PP. Still a lot of things we probably don't understand about power plays and what makes them work. Probably luck at play, at least over relatively small samples. How did TB have about the worst PP last year, with that personnel?

Last edited:

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Long-term I see ehlers rw

For this season I hope they keeo him on the left because the alternative is putting one dano/Stafford on the left or on the fourth line andStafford is terrible on LW and I don't trust them to put him on line four

Old post I know but I don't get your thinking here.

RW's - Wheeler - Ehlers - Stafford - Armia
LW's - Perreault - Laine - Connor - Matthias
with these wingers centres would be:
C's - Scheif - Little - Burmi - Lowry

I don't normally see Perreault as a 1LW but as a placeholder until 1 of Laine/Connor is ready for the 1st line he is more than adequate. He brings some of the same elements that made ESW so successful; speed, shiftiness, smarts and the threat to score from just about anywhere. If opponents try to key on Scheif/Wheeler Perreault will make them pay.

That isn't necessarily the best possible lineup. I only put it out there to illustrate why I am puzzled by your statement.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad