Player Discussion Tony DeAngelo: Part V

Status
Not open for further replies.

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
They are going with size. Clearing the crease is one aspect. Playing with size is another. With size on both sides, you can cover a lot of areas. When one looks at the picks (Miller, Robertson, Schneider) you can see that there is a theme.

I am not by any chance rushing out to trade Lundqvist. Just feel that having both him and DeAngelo would go counter to what I see playing out in front of us right now.

all of that is moot, b'c we are not paying Deangelo going forward

Off Sides

Sep 8, 2008
I don't foresee any premium return for DeAngelo. I'm guessing something like rental value, maybe a late 1st and some mediocre prospect, and that will probably not even be offered while he still has a year left on his deal.

Some team out there looking towards the playoffs where they know they could walk away from him in that off-season, sure. Them putting themselves in a position where they too are scratching him and dealing with whatever else off ice for a whole season past those playoffs, I would not expect much of any trade return there.

Reactions: Filthy Dangles

KirkAlbuquerque

#WeNeverGetAGoodCoach
Mar 12, 2014
New York
He needs to be back on PP1. Fox has been fine there but Tony is still better , he moves around a lot more laterally, and thats something our PP is sorely lacking. Of course it won't matter until the rest of the unit starts moving too but still, we're only destroying his value even more by keeping him off the PP.

BTW this team has the almost perfect personnel to be running an umbrella PP wtf is wrong with these coaches

McRanger

Sponsor
Jul 20, 2005
I think who ends up playing long term on the right side will have something to do with who is playing on the left side of the defense too. It's easier to imagine having two "small" RD if there is size on the left side.

The quality of the "small" RD player will matter too. The Rangers might be willing to, with an eye towards the playoffs, trade some skill for more size. But if a player like Lundkvist or Jones or whoever turns out to be the next Adam Fox, the Rangers are going to find a lot of ice time for him and not be even remotely concerned about whether or not he meets some arbitrary height threshold.

Reactions: bernmeister

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Oct 23, 2014
Honestly, the emergence of Fox Lindgren and Miller have made this dude completely expendable to me. I like some of his skillset but he's an offensive dman with baggage who's good to get dangled and/or make a big mistake once a game. He's not a cornerstone piece like a Fox/Miller look to be right now.

I'm sick of reading hockey twitter dunking on him and the Rangers after every game he plays. I'm kinda over him being a Ranger and representing the org/team.

Though I don't see him having much trade value at all at this time. I really don't even know if any other NHL teams would want him. I think a significant amount of time will have to pass on with him playing better for his value to rebound.

NoQuitInNewMexico

Jan 7, 2011
new mexico lol
I don't even think I was pushing for it but man, they should have traded the guy in the offseason. If he's going to be on the third pairing with a weak player, and if the coach doesn't want to put him on the first power play, he's not going to have a good year.

Reactions: bernmeister

Smart Alek

Jul 13, 2002
He needs to be back on PP1. Fox has been fine there but Tony is still better , he moves around a lot more laterally, and thats something our PP is sorely lacking. Of course it won't matter until the rest of the unit starts moving too but still, we're only destroying his value even more by keeping him off the PP.

I admire your perseverance, but this is never going to work. Just trade him from your fantasy team while he still holds a modicum of speculative value and move on.

leetch99

Leetch66 Joined 2007
Oct 5, 2017
PEI Canada
I liken Tony as a Paul Coffeylike type of player under the right coach and of course having some elite talent up front won't hurt in inflating the numbers either . Coffey ended up moving around like the last Gypsy ...9 teams ! Tony has great wheels and a great stick but his D is bad....a lot like Coffey . Many claim Coffey frequently had run ins with coaching at some of his stops. At least the Oilers hung onto him long enough to win a Cup or so...3 to be exact ! I would not want to trade him too soon......

True Blue

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
I'm sick of reading hockey twitter dunking on him and the Rangers after every game he plays. I'm kinda over him being a Ranger and representing the org/team.
Can we PLEASE drop this BS already? NO ONE, aside from some fans like you, cares about what the frig' happens on Twitter when it comes to him. NO ONE. Not a soul in the locker room. Not a soul in management. He represents the team just fine. YOU may not like it, but there are MANY people who think differently than you.

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Oct 23, 2014
Can we PLEASE drop this BS already? NO ONE, aside from some fans like you, cares about what the frig' happens on Twitter when it comes to him. NO ONE. Not a soul in the locker room. Not a soul in management. He represents the team just fine. YOU may not like it, but there are MANY people who think differently than you.

I wouldn't expect them to, nor do I care what they think. I expressed how I feel....

True Blue

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
I wouldn't expect them to, nor do I care what they think. I expressed how I feel....
I get it. But while I believe that this is a free country and everyone has the right to say whatever they want, it is a bit tiring to keep reading about Twitter as some sort of evidence of your beliefs.

ThirdEye

Nov 28, 2006
New York

You're saying you've never had a friendship ruined or unnecessary awkwardness/hostility introduced as a result of an outspoken, politically polarized individual in your life? I certainly have and with the amount of time these guys spend together you'd be crazy to think it has no impact on the culture in the locker-room.

I still like him as a player and hope he breaks out of this slump (for his and the Rangers sake), but each passing day I care less and less that he's a part of this team (with our depth at D not helping his cause).

Sayba

Dark Schneider
Jul 7, 2009
You're saying you've never had a friendship ruined or unnecessary awkwardness/hostility introduced as a result of an outspoken, politically polarized individual in your life? I certainly have and with the amount of time these guys spend together you'd be crazy to think it has no impact on the culture in the locker-room.

I still like him as a player and hope he breaks out of this slump (for his and the Rangers sake), but each passing day I care less and less that he's a part of this team (with our depth at D not helping his cause).

No I never have and can be friends and civil with ppl I disagree with politically or otherwise.

Mandar

The Real Maven
Sep 27, 2013
The Tarheel State
I liken Tony as a Paul Coffeylike type of player under the right coach and of course having some elite talent up front won't hurt in inflating the numbers either . Coffey ended up moving around like the last Gypsy ...9 teams ! Tony has great wheels and a great stick but his D is bad....a lot like Coffey . Many claim Coffey frequently had run ins with coaching at some of his stops. At least the Oilers hung onto him long enough to win a Cup or so...3 to be exact ! I would not want to trade him too soon......
Nothing...nothing....nothing remotely like Coffey. Not “Coffey-like” at all.

ADA has adequate wheels....not in the same stratosphere as Coffey had. ADA has a muffin of a shot....Coffey had a blast. While neither will be known for their defensive abilities, there’s a reason that Coffey won multiple Norris trophies. I’ll even say it’s quite unfair to compare the two. He’s more like Bruce Driver than Paul Coffey

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
I don't foresee any premium return for DeAngelo. I'm guessing something like rental value, maybe a late 1st and some mediocre prospect, and that will probably not even be offered while he still has a year left on his deal.

Some team out there looking towards the playoffs where they know they could walk away from him in that off-season, sure. Them putting themselves in a position where they too are scratching him and dealing with whatever else off ice for a whole season past those playoffs, I would not expect much of any trade return there.
At this pt I don't even wanna wait for a 2nd.
Take a 3rd + cap relief or add to Dea for a 2nd.
Just get it the ef done yesterday.

The quality of the "small" RD player will matter too. The Rangers might be willing to, with an eye towards the playoffs, trade some skill for more size. But if a player like Lundkvist or Jones or whoever turns out to be the next Adam Fox, the Rangers are going to find a lot of ice time for him and not be even remotely concerned about whether or not he meets some arbitrary height threshold.
Mostly this and while some level of size is legit concern, like I said they can add bigger guys on the partners for Fox and Nils.

Nothing...nothing....nothing remotely like Coffey. Not “Coffey-like” at all.

ADA has adequate wheels....not in the same stratosphere as Coffey had. ADA has a muffin of a shot....Coffey had a blast. While neither will be known for their defensive abilities, there’s a reason that Coffey won multiple Norris trophies. I’ll even say it’s quite unfair to compare the two. He’s more like Bruce Driver than Paul Coffey
111% verbatim every word of this, except I'd be a tad more generous on ADA shot, tho it is still nowhere near a blast. Adequately effective but that's it.

As to a "muffin of a shot" --- I go back and remember Rod Seiling.
That was a guy who shot soft and his live ones looked like slo mo.

mas0764

Jul 16, 2005

I think it’s the opposite: you are crazy to think it is having a locker room impact. There is zero evidence for it. You are making wild assumptions.

Reactions: Barnaby

Shesterkybomb

Dec 30, 2016

BTW this team has the almost perfect personnel to be running an umbrella PP wtf is wrong with these coaches

We are running an umbrella, and fox is silky smooth at the top of it.

Rempe73

RIP King of Pop
Mar 26, 2018
New Jersey

Can you explain why? I know what an umbrella power play is, but what about our personnel? I just don’t know a whole lot about PP/PK formations.

Off Sides

Sep 8, 2008

There is a difference between not agreeing with those who are looking at actual facts and coming to different opinions and conclusions based on those facts, versus not understanding or even wanting to be around those who are conspiracy theory zealots. The first I would assume has always been part of any locker room, the second is a somewhat new phenomenon. For me at least a set of differing opinions based on facts has never ended a friendship, yet once that goes all conspiracy theory crazy that about does it for me. Not saying I know anything about any pro hockey locker room or about any of their players, yet if one follows other sources of social media where the players are active it seems to lead to at least some speculation the second thing may be going on in some locker rooms in the NHL just as it going on around in the country.

True Blue

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site

I have had no friendship of mine ruined as a result of someone's political views. Now if you show up and are brandishing a swastika, we would have words.

I think that it is insanity to think that this has any impact whatsoever in the locker room. There is NOTHING to suggest that. The only things that suggest this are fans on a message board who probably have ended friendships because of opposing views.

Shesterkybomb

Dec 30, 2016
I have no idea what his locker room feels are but from all accounts i think generally the team likes him. Unless he learns position in his own end he's hard to play big minutes though. Maybe Martin can help there i dunno but for me he may as well play right wing because i do think he could help there, hes fast, physical, makes crisp passes and can shoot, he just can't defend. Im surprised they havent tried it in practice at least.

CupSeeker

Jan 28, 2021
Tony needs to be running PP1. Make that change; he earned it last year and see how that affects his overall game. He is not performing well in any phase right now. Fox on PP2 will create more balance as he is playing very well.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad