Player Discussion Tony DeAngelo: Part V

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fitzy

Very Stable Genius
Jan 29, 2009
If he didn't, why is that relevant?

I'd argue it's relevant (If we assume he didn't) because such a large proportion of people would believe it is probably indicative of the kind of damage he's done to his reputation on social media previously.

It's still negative attention on the franchise, and that counts for something. I get that it's not completely fair, if that's the case, but let's not pretend that ADA doesn't have some level of accountability for hosting a social media presence for so long as to make this believable.

Again, no one is accusing the other noted NYR players with non media darling views of this kind of behavior. Literally no one thinks it's Brendan Lemiuex

Fitzy

Very Stable Genius
Jan 29, 2009
idk, if he was starting fights in the name of stalin it'd be pretty based IMO

It would be slightly less relevant and topical but still asinine and lacking in human empathy.

We need to bring back pillory.

Trxjw

Retired.
May 8, 2007
Land of no calls..
It wouldn’t alleviate all the problems but his politics definitely alter the narrative.

An immature, thin-skinned jerk is the same on either side of the fence. People include the politics to paint him poorly or to make him look like he's persecuted. If he was a bleeding-heart liberal it'd be the same thing just with the roles reversed.

Rempe73

RIP King of Pop
Mar 26, 2018
New Jersey
An immature, thin-skinned jerk is the same on either side of the fence. People include the politics to paint him poorly or to make him look like he's persecuted. If he was a bleeding-heart liberal it'd be the same thing just with the roles reversed.
Disagree strongly

Reactions: mas0764

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY

I'm not sure you've been awake the last 4 years. There's definitely one side that is more acceptable to be in cities that have the resources to host hockey teams. I'm not making an argument about whether that's justified but the idea that if he were posting "bleeding heart liberal" tweets he'd get the same blowback in major metropolises in the US and Canada is fantasy.

TheBPA

Jul 1, 2004
I'm not sure you've been awake the last 4 years. There's definitely one side that is more acceptable to be in cities that have the resources to host hockey teams. I'm not making an argument about whether that's justified but the idea that if he were posting "bleeding heart liberal" tweets he'd get the same blowback in major metropolises in the US and Canada is fantasy.

yeah that population doesn’t make up hockey Twitter or hockey fans. It’s much closer to 50/50 than you are portraying it to be.

patnyrnyg

Sep 16, 2004
Yes, he would as I would argue the majority of fans lean conservative. It would just be the other side saying, "Stick to hockey, nobody cares about your opinion on politics." The difference is 99% of the players, regardless of political affiliation realize going back and forth with people on twitter is not going to lead to anywhere good. They simply post what they have to say, and don't get worked up about the comments. At least if they do, they do not respond to it.

Reactions: OverTheCap

mas0764

Jul 16, 2005

Yes thin skinned jerks are the same on both sides but I do not agree that the reaction to him in the twitterverse would be the same if he were liberal and outspoken.

mas0764

Jul 16, 2005

Fantasy is a good description.

Reactions: SnowblindNYR

OverTheCap

Jan 3, 2009
I find it hard to believe that a large portion of the Rangers fanbase would be so accepting if DeAngelo was an outspoken Bernie Bro.

Like Trxjw said, it's more about his inflammatory behavior on social media. There are plenty of hockey players who share the same views as Deangelo and aren't challenging fans to fights or throwing tantrums on Twitter.

Trxjw

Retired.
May 8, 2007
Land of no calls..

I wish I'd been asleep for the last 4 years. Players of other sports receive death threats in those same cities you're talking about when they take a knee during the national anthem. Hockey is hardly some left-leaning strong hold either.

Hate to break it to ya, but if Henrik Lundqvist was offering to fight people in front of MSG last year I'd think he was a tool as well. Tony is just a jerk, plain and simple. People are just rushing to his defense and trying to make him look like a victim of the mob or cancel culture. In reality he's a victim of his own stupidity and arrogance.

Fitzy

Very Stable Genius
Jan 29, 2009
I wish I'd been asleep for the last 4 years. Players of other sports receive death threats in those same cities you're talking about when they take a knee during the national anthem. Hockey is hardly some left-leaning strong hold either.

Hate to break it to ya, but if Henrik Lundqvist was offering to fight people in front of MSG last year I'd think he was a tool as well. Tony is just a jerk, plain and simple. People are just rushing to his defense and trying to make him look like a victim of the mob or cancel culture. In reality he's a victim of his own stupidity and arrogance.

There's also a solid literature in psychology addressing how antagonistic personality types will sometimes just use politics (regardless of where they stand on it) as an excuse to get into heated arguments and put others down. People who like to ruffle feathers picking a topic of interest that has a tendency to do so.

Sports, it may surprise no one, is another one of said outlets for aggression.

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY

Eh, that's a big one but probably the one example of outrage of the other side. And posting unpopular opinions on twitter is not the same as taking a knee. One is a very public and controversial protest (that I agree with, btw) and one is posting unpopular shit. It's not surprising you'd get some feather ruffled over the protest.

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
I find it hard to believe that a large portion of the Rangers fanbase would be so accepting if DeAngelo was an outspoken Bernie Bro.

Like Trxjw said, it's more about his inflammatory behavior on social media. There are plenty of hockey players who share the same views as Deangelo and aren't challenging fans to fights or throwing tantrums on Twitter.

The second bolded sentence is fair. The first bolded sentence I disagree with, if he were all "millionaihs and billionaihs" on twitter some people would be annoyed but it wouldn't receive nearly the blowback.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad