Player Discussion Tony DeAngelo: Part V

Status
Not open for further replies.

ColonialsHockey10

Jul 22, 2007
After listening to TDA's podcasts I am very impressed with his intelligence, sports knowledge, respect for all the players in the league (even Tom Wilson!) and honesty. I appreciate his signing a team friendly contract and his willingness to move to LHD. Glad he is a Ranger and I look forward to his accomplishments in the coming seasons. He is a very gifted hockey player and a particularly entertaining one.

I don't share his political views but I respect his right to them, and I'm glad he doesn't bring them up on his pod. I just ignore his twitter feed anyway.

I’m with you on the second paragraph. I strongly disagree with his views but I don’t go on his Twitter and care more about how his teammates view him (and how he plays, of course).

I haven’t seen a whole lot to suggest he’s a particularly intelligent guy though. On the contrary, actually. Being knowledgeable about sports is hardly an indicator.

His partner in crime, Lemieux, seems like a bit of an airhead as well, and his play on the ice reflects that most nights. Again though, if his teammates love him that’s most important. They seem to!

Reactions: Baby Duck Homme

OrlandK

Oct 18, 2017
Westchester NY
His partner in crime, Lemieux, seems like a bit of an airhead as well, and his play on the ice reflects that most nights. Again though, if his teammates love him that’s most important. They seem to!
Good point about popularity with this teammates that I should have made. Another attribute I should have attached to TDA, and an important one I think.

Also regarding Lemiuex being an airhead - don't necessarily judge a book by its cover. I suggest you listen to the WYT podcast with Lemiuex. I came away with a totally different impression of him than my preconceived notion. Give it a try - you might be surprised.

egelband

Sep 6, 2008
Can someone remind me why we care at all what athletes have to say about anything other than why they won or lost the game? These guys are of course entitled to their opinion, but why would anyone choose to invest themselves in the ramblings of a barely high school educated 25 year old when it comes to topics of actual consequence?
This is a really good point.

Reactions: Cag29 and Synergy27

Gardner McKay

RIP, Jimmy.
Jun 27, 2007
SoutheastOfDisorder
This thread is staying closed until training camp starts (whenever that may be). Don't start a new one. Don't take this discussion elsewhere on the Rangers board. If you do, expect a lengthy forum ban. There will be zero tolerance.

Reactions: Cmox, RGY and Kupo

patnyrnyg

Sep 16, 2004
Seems like he is back in tonight. Maybe I am crazy, but if the year is rocky with him, wondering if they would leave him exposed for the Seattle draft?

patnyrnyg

Sep 16, 2004
If they decide they do not want him and can't move him in a trade? Not sure it is as ridiculous as some of you think. I personally think he is on his last contract with the Rangers and do not think he will finish it here, but we shall see.

IDvsEGO

Oct 11, 2016
Seems like he is back in tonight. Maybe I am crazy, but if the year is rocky with him, wondering if they would leave him exposed for the Seattle draft?
That’s an incredibly bad case of asset management. No matter how bad his political stances are perceived he was a 50 pt defenseman in a shortened season and he plays on the right side That’s valuable.

patnyrnyg

Sep 16, 2004
That’s an incredibly bad case of asset management. No matter how bad his political stances are perceived he was a 50 pt defenseman in a shortened season and he plays on the right side That’s valuable.
They have depth on the right side, and he was not already benched once because of his politics. I agree with you as I do not care about his politics or any other 25 year old without an education's politics, conservative or liberal. However, the way he goes about it is the issue. I would lying if I said I do not worry that he will say something that crosses the line of no return and the organization feels they just have to cut bait with him. Obviously, I would hope they try to trade him first, and hope they can get true value for him, expansion draft just popped into my head when I was reading something about the expansion draft in general.

IDvsEGO

Oct 11, 2016
They have depth on the right side, and he was not already benched once because of his politics. I agree with you as I do not care about his politics or any other 25 year old without an education's politics, conservative or liberal. However, the way he goes about it is the issue. I would lying if I said I do not worry that he will say something that crosses the line of no return and the organization feels they just have to cut bait with him. Obviously, I would hope they try to trade him first, and hope they can get true value for him, expansion draft just popped into my head when I was reading something about the expansion draft in general.
The rangers are looking at losing lemieux, Howden or Hajek for the expansion draft. There’s several tiers before you get to someone like deangelo.

Smart Alek

Jul 13, 2002
No matter how bad his political stances are perceived he was a 50 pt defenseman in a shortened season and he plays on the right side That’s valuable.

This meme of him having 'political stances' is comical. Are you going to tell me that Tony DeAngelo has deeply held opinions on the earned income tax credit, charter schools, and the role of regulation in industry?

IDvsEGO

Oct 11, 2016
This meme of him having 'political stances' is comical. Are you going to tell me that Tony DeAngelo has deeply held opinions on the earned income tax credit, charter schools, and the role of regulation in industry?
I was being vague on purpose. As I’m trying to avoid having any discussion on his actual politics.

True Blue

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Not only that, but because he is a Trump supporter, he is the devil on Earth. Lebron James, however is a saint for supporting Biden.

patnyrnyg

Sep 16, 2004
The rangers are looking at losing lemieux, Howden or Hajek for the expansion draft. There’s several tiers before you get to someone like deangelo.
True. My point though is if it gets to the point during the season that they just do not want him. My buddy coaches HS basketball and often has to tell a player, "you are good, but you are not good enough to be an a*********e".

IDvsEGO

Oct 11, 2016
True. My point though is if it gets to the point during the season that they just do not want him. My buddy coaches HS basketball and often has to tell a player, "you are good, but you are not good enough to be an a*********e".
That will likely never happen, I imagine Tony's agent is earning his money to ensure that he never crosses that line.

duhmetreE

Blessed Bigly
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2012
Dont forget his worth. When the Rangers were at their best last year, ADA was in the center of it.

He's a dynamic game changer.. there's no denying that aspect. he does have his warts... hopefully with time they can be resolved from his game. The issue is the whole team is heavily weighted on 'offense'.

TBH I think playing for a coach like Torts would be the best thing for ADA.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad