Player Discussion Tony DeAngelo: Part IV

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Crypto Guy

Jun 26, 2017
Tony D coming up huge again. All i can think is f*** you Gorton for f***ing him over in August and not realizing what a gem you had because Quinn was all pissy last season and benched him so you just assumed he wasnt worth the contract.

Well you f***ed up and now you deal with it by trading away players to make sure you dont f*** up again and lose a top 5 offensive dman in the league.

Easily Gortons biggest mess up of his career, which at least half of us here knew he did back in Aug. (and a bunch of posters also eating crow if they are man enough to admit)

Last edited:

Leetch3

Jul 14, 2009
Tony D coming up huge again. All i can think is **** you Gorton for ****ing him over in August and not realizing what a gem you had because Quinn was all pissy last season and benched him.

Well you ****ed up and now you deal with it by trading away players to make sure you dont **** up again and lose a top 5 offensive dman in the league.

Easily Gortons biggest mess up of his career, which at least half of us here knew he did back in Aug. (and a bunch of posters also eating crow if they are man enough to admit)

quinn being 'all pissy last year' is a big reason why he has busted out...deangelo took the message to heart, learned from it became better. he deserves huge credit for that but this didn't just happen by magic.

despite popular beliefs, there is more to player development than just giving them a lot of ice time.

and with what cap space were we supposed to give him a big extension with? they tried all summer to clear space and finally had to buy out shattenkirk. and don't say crap like buy out staal and smith, how much dead space can you have for next year

bbny

Unregistered User
Apr 12, 2019
Tony D coming up huge again. All i can think is **** you Gorton for ****ing him over in August and not realizing what a gem you had because Quinn was all pissy last season and benched him so you just assumed he wasnt worth the contract.

Well you ****ed up and now you deal with it by trading away players to make sure you dont **** up again and lose a top 5 offensive dman in the league.

Didn't Gorton trade for DeAngelo in the first place? Probably before you even knew his name? Lol.

EdJovanovski

#RempeForCalder
Apr 26, 2016
The Rempire State

I saw a few people running with the usual BS you hear from the whiny crowd, figured I'd post this here to nip it in the butt

The usual suspects saying he was yelling at the coach :laugh: he was yelling back & forth with the REF, the coach was trying to calm him down. Several people who were there and saw it verify this as well
Anyway, great f***ing game for Tony. I swear him & Lemieux are going to be savages when we’re in the playoffs. I just know ADA will feed off that level of intensity

Blue Blooded

Most people rejected his message
Oct 25, 2010
Stockholm
upload_2020-1-17_13-31-17.png

5v5

Extrapolated for Carlson's 5v5 and 5v4 TOI, DeAngelo's point rates would give him 4 additional 5v5 points and 6 additional 5v4 points for 47 points in 48 games (Carlson's current GP). I don't think Tony could keep up his current 5v5 rate with more TOI/GP as I don't think the additional TOI would be in beneficial situations, but it's quite incredible how much he has been scoring considrering his TOI.

Carlson, DeAngelo and Karlsson are the only three defencemen with a 5v5 IPP* of 60 or over, nobody else is at or above 55 and only seven in total are at or above 50.

*IPP = Individual Points Percentage. Percentage of goals scored with the player on the ice that the player has a point on.

Last edited:

Inferno

Nov 27, 2005
Atlanta, GA
I said it 2 years ago.... I said it last year and I'm gonna say it again now. Give DeAngelo an 8 year deal and lock him up before he becomes even more expensive.

He's basically the anti lias Andersson... Quinn gave him tough love, and he's ran with it and responded.

I wAs hoping to get him in at 8x4mil 2 years ago and 8x5 last year... Now I'm hoping we could get him in at 8x6.

Reactions: ponzu4u and Leetch3

Inferno

Nov 27, 2005
Atlanta, GA
The usual suspects saying he was yelling at the coach :laugh: he was yelling back & forth with the REF, the coach was trying to calm him down. Several people who were there and saw it verify this as well
Anyway, great ****ing game for Tony. I swear him & Lemieux are going to be savages when we’re in the playoffs. I just know ADA will feed off that level of intensity
His head was turned back behind him towards the coaches. He was definitely yelling in their direction. What you couldn't tell was if it was yelling at the coach, or yelling to the coach. You've played hockey, you know sometimes you need to vent to teammates or coaches when you're pissed off about something. From and outside perspective it's not always easy to tell if it's yelling at, or yelling to. Particularly with someone like DeAngelo.

Reactions: EdJovanovski

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
I can't fault Gorton for wanting to wait one more year before giving ADA a long-term deal. It made sense to avoid a possible albatross if he couldn't replicate. Obviously give him a long term deal this summer. He's a big part of the future of this team.

Oh and he is on pace to score 65 points this year. Which is higher than Stepan EVER scored in his entire career over 82 games. As a defenseman.

Leetch3

Jul 14, 2009
View attachment 309075
5v5

Extrapolated for Carlson's 5v5 and 5v4 TOI, DeAngelo's point rates would give him 4 additional 5v5 points and 6 additional 5v4 points for 47 points in 48 games (Carlson's current GP). I don't think Tony could keep up his current 5v5 rate with more TOI/GP as I don't think the additional TOI would be in beneficial situations, but it's quite incredible how much he has been scoring considrering his TOI.

Carlson, DeAngelo and Karlsson are the only three defencemen with a 5v5 IPP* of 60 or over, nobody else is at or above 55 and only seven in total are at or above 50.

*IPP = Individual Points Percentage. Percentage of goals scored with the player on the ice that the player has a point on.

Brady Skjei @ #14? I was told he was terrible at hockey and needs to be traded?

True Blue

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Tony D coming up huge again. All i can think is **** you Gorton for ****ing him over in August and not realizing what a gem you had because Quinn was all pissy last season and benched him so you just assumed he wasnt worth the contract.
Seems to me that whatever Quinn did with him, he got him to play his best hockey of his career and take steps to fulfiling his potential. As for Gorton, pray tell, how do you propose that he signed him in August to anything more than what he signed for?
What does this even mean?
Again, how would you have signed him? And there was also nothing wrong with seeing another year to ensure that Tony kept producing and kept his other issues behind him.

Frankly, I do not understand the vitriol of this post.

Leetch3

Jul 14, 2009
I know we haven’t really mentioned it with regularity, but I can see ADA wearing a letter at some point.

the way several people including quinn have raved about how he has been in the locker room that idea might not be as crazy as it would have sounded a year ago.

Reactions: EdJovanovski

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise

Eh, I don’t know if that’s entirely contextually accurate.

ADA’s road to this point has included a healthy dose of tough love, patience, and quite a few challenges to go out and prove himself on the ice.

And despite pushback from sections of this board, he’s responded to all of it. If anything, I’d probably argue that the team’s approach has helped ADA get to this point and now he’s going to be adequately compensated.

Moves are/were coming no matter what. When you go out and commit $20 million to two players, there’s going to be some shuffling for a while. We were right against the cap, and explored a number of moves. Had we signed ADA, we’d still be juggling contracts to some extent.

I don’t really have a problem paying ADA now. He’s earned it and he did what we want all our young talents to do, he showed us what he’s made of.

Last edited:

NYSPORTS

back afta dis. . .
Jun 17, 2019
I know we haven’t really mentioned it with regularity, but I can see ADA wearing a letter at some point.

I really like him but I’m not sure he has the temperament for a letter. He’s got to mature for a long while IMO. Would certainly resign him or trade him only for a fortune.

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
the way several people including quinn have raved about how he has been in the locker room that idea might not be as crazy as it would have sounded a year ago.

Well, I think it speaks to what we mean when we talk about channeling someone’s abilities properly. ADA is a passionate player, and if you can channel that passion, have him pick his spots, and put all the pieces together, you get rewarded.

The Rangers have made a big investment in ADAs development and they deserve to reap the rewards.

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
I really like him but I’m not sure he has the temperament for a letter. He’s got to mature for a long while IMO. Would certainly resign him or trade him only for a fortune.

I think with time, it’s a possibility. In some ways, I see a lot of Chris Chelios in him. I don’t think you’re ever going to turn ADA into a Zen master, but I think he can be the type of in your face personality that we’ve talked about having in our leadership core for quite some time.

True Blue

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
It has been mentioned before. Let’s be honest, Tony and a Fox are better than he is. Look at what’s on deck for defensemen and the cap. It’s not crazy
Just because internet posters mention it, that does not make it a lucid statement.

First of all, it is NOT happening. DeAngelo and Fox are NOT Trouba. Could they have more offensive talent? Sure. But neither one is capable of defending on the level that an anchor defenseman should. If either was playing Trouba's minutes and against the players that he lines up against, your outlook for either of them would not be so sunny.

NYSPORTS

back afta dis. . .
Jun 17, 2019
I think with time, it’s a possibility. In some ways, I see a lot of Chris Chelios in him. I don’t think you’re ever going to turn ADA into a Zen master, but I think he can be the type of in your face personality that we’ve talked about having in our leadership core for quite some time.

I love his in the face temperament. Last year when he dropped the gloves, I loved it. Maybe he does have some Chelios in him.

Tony D, Fox, Trouba, Brady, Lindgren (love Lindgren) and likely Lindquvist(spell) and the monster Miller. Not even counting the others like Rykov, Hajek (I think he’s odd man out), Keane and later Robertson, etc.

My gosh

meanwhile, we still have Staal wandering around

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad