Player Discussion Tony DeAngelo: Part III

Status
Not open for further replies.

Off Sides

Sep 8, 2008
He does not have arbitration rights, it's probably going to get messy, at least on the boards.

leetch99

Leetch66 Joined 2007
Oct 5, 2017
PEI Canada
Call his agent and get it done...not sure how much more of a window people need . Will he be a great defensive player....I doubt a great one but does he have to be ? Solid stay at home guys likely are in our system....how many Tony DeAngelo's do we have in the stable ????

Irishguy42

Mr. Preachy
Sep 11, 2015
NJ
MRW I hear the idea of a bridge deal being better than a long term for Tony
CqV21Js.png

bobbop

Henrik & Pop
Sponsor
May 27, 2004
Now, Suburban Phoenix. Then, Long Island
Why would he sign up for that?
Let me amplify...

5 years gives up 1 UFA year. If you have confidence in your ability and you are in the NHL at that age, that’s a $5MM year (at a minimum)

4 years and he comes out of the contract headed straight to UFA.

And why would he lock himself in at $3.5 MM?

He hasn’t done nearly enough in my eyes to get this type of contract. Do you give it to Pionk (who the Ranger menegement clearly likes) too?

Bridges work perfectly fine with players who haven’t earned a long term commitment. Buchnevich probably gets the same thing. Let them earn the big contract.

Hi ImHFNYR

Jan 10, 2013
Wherever I'm standing atm
My bias? I have been one of the biggest defends of Tony D on this board all season. I absolutely love his game and think he should be playing huge minutes in every one.

And he was basically running around like a dumb fratboy. It's not a big deal or anything....and I'm not blowing it out of proportion, but he was behaving like an annoying fool and I can see how that would wear thin on guys and especially coaches over the course of a season.

I also find it really strange that other people thought it to be 'hilarious.' I mean, we all know guys who behave like that at parties and they're always the ones you're annoyed by. Another poster put it perfectly earlier in the thread when he said - it's the kind of behavior that makes you wish you were blackout drunk. Unless, of course, you are that guy.

Like I said, you weren't completely off base but you went a bit overboard bc you associated him w/ "fratboys". I think your bias was towards the behavior not the guy specifically

Mandar

The Real Maven
Sep 27, 2013
The Tarheel State
Let me amplify...

5 years gives up 1 UFA year. If you have confidence in your ability and you are in the NHL at that age, that’s a $5MM year (at a minimum)

4 years and he comes out of the contract headed straight to UFA.

And why would he lock himself in at $3.5 MM?

He hasn’t done nearly enough in my eyes to get this type of contract. Do you give it to Pionk (who the Ranger menegement clearly likes) too?

Bridges work perfectly fine with players who haven’t earned a long term commitment. Buchnevich probably gets the same thing. Let them earn the big contract.
Too much common sense here.

His over the top supporters want 8 years....doesn't matter the cost....cause he's got the next 8 Norris trophies locked up (unless there is a mad conspiracy from the Norris voters).

Reactions: bobbop

Off Sides

Sep 8, 2008
Tough thing no matter what, ADA is not arbitration eligible,

Rangers can qualify him, which I assume they will, from there I have no idea what type of bridge or longer term either side accepts.

Had they played ADA all year without sticking McQuaid in front, rightly or wrongly, why does ADA feel as if he is part of the longer term plan?

If he does not feel as much, why not just sign the qualifier, go to next year, become arbitration eligible and see where that goes unless the Rangers offer well above that qualifier on a longer term bridge or even longer deal.

In my opinion Rangers taking a hard line with him may or may not have helped him develop, yet there is no getting around that same hard line is going to leave resentment on his part.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad