Confirmed with Link: Tomorrow’s game (12/21 vs. Devils) is postponed

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shockmaster

Sep 11, 2012
Is anyone else just over it? It will never be eradicated so we just have to live w it. All the protocols and hysteria just seem pointless and redundant to me.

Oh, you didn't hear? It's been determined that any team currently not dealing with an outbreak will have all their players drop dead on the ice if they play games on December 23rd. However, it has also been determined that every single NHL player will be immune to COVID starting December 27th and it'll never happen again after that. :sarcasm:

It all seriousness, they should have played the games they were able to play on Thursday. A couple extra days isn't going to change anything.

KareemTrustfund

Domiking Simon
Jun 19, 2012
They are just buying themselves time to set better protocols.

First order of business, for all sports league, should be mandatory vaccination for ALL players, ALL personnel and ALL fans attending games. Here in Quebec, 50% of the cases are unvaccinated people, 66% of the hospitalizations are unvaccinated people... they are less than 15% of the population (so the number of cases/hospitalizations they represent is VERY VERY VERY disproportional to their percentage of the population... which proves the vaccine freaking works ie it does with it is supposed to do SLOW DOWN THE DAMN THING!).

Unvaccinated people have a longer incubation period, so they spread it longer. If everyone is vaccinated, I think you can afford to have asymptomatic players continue to play. Sure, there would still be a risk of some getting long COVID, but zero risk does not exist and getting vaccinated + the booster reduces the risk of serious illness by over 80%. So throw the Tyler Bertuzzis, Kyrie Irvings and Aaron Rodgerses out and get back to playing. Government should not force you to get vaccinated, but a private employer totally can. They won't because it would alienate a portion of their fanbase, but they could and should.

Slightly off topic but I feel it’s somewhat relevant regarding long covid.

Three years ago I contracted a virus ( Doctor suspected EBV). I was and still am severely debilitated by this acute viral infection. I’m losing my ability to walk, I can hardly hold my phone above my head due to muscles weakness , I can’t turn my head without eventually losing consciousness , walk more than 10 minutes or even be upright long before I collapse. I played hockey three times a week to this.

All from a virus.

Turns out , the inflammation and mast cell degranulation triggered by the virus severely weakened the connective tissue in the craniocervical junction. My skull is sinking into my spine , for simplicity sake. And on top of that my spinal cord became tethered due to mcas and inflammation - which I’m receiving surgery for in the states in the coming months. I’ll need a fusion to support the skull for hopefully a full recovery.

Long covid sufferers develop POTS, MCAS major fatigue, things I’m living ever day. (Not saying all who develop long covid have my issue , many do , not close to enough research on post viral ME exists)

The vaccines aren’t protecting people from Long Covid. There’s no good answer how to deal with long covid. The medical community as a large doesn’t care about it, the media ignores it.

I don’t even remember what my point is, maybe just a general sadness that it’s not considered typically when major decisions are being made. The NHL sure isn’t. I don’t know what they should do, there’s no escaping it

Last edited:

Pancakes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2011
This is why I felt it was unfair that the Pens had to figure shit out to play but these other teams had postponed games. If they can't figure it out now then yeah the playoffs will be a mess. But we all know the Tampa Bay Lightning will somehow find a way to put half their big contracts on LTIR for covid lingering issues and then add a bunch of players and be at like 40m over the cap.

They just need to decide one way or the other what they will do. Continuing the measures they have now is not going to make the playoffs possible unless they extend the playoffs out so long that you might as well cancel next season. And there'd be no flow to the games as well. Imagine the Pens wrap up their first round series in 5 games but then the series they play the winner of is stuck in covid limbo and has their games delayed for several weeks until both teams are healthy. So the Pens end up waiting like a month to play their next series in the end. Hows that work?

Or worse the NHL just says deal with it and they don't delay playoff series and we get teams that have half AHL lineups playing for the cup.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad