Player Discussion Tomas Tatar (Part Two-na)

Seb

All we are is Dustin Byfuglien
Jul 15, 2006
If people were crying over not bringing back Radu, I don't see how you would not want to resign Tatar.

The team was sort of/trying to be competitive at the time, different context.

He'll be over 35 when the Habs finally get competitive, I don't mind extending him cause I'm a fan boy and I don't think there's urgency in trading everyone over 30, but he probably will have to be moved at some point.

Also, WTF he's already 29???

scrubadam

Apr 10, 2016
LeBrun said last night that he knows for sure that some teams have circled Tatar as a possible deadline target. And he also talked about Petry's value. Compared the return to Muzzin and said the return should be what the Kings got but more! Big mobile D who puts up 40+ points and on a value contact. I've been saying that same thing for a while now.

I'm not desperate to move them but man, I'd love to know what we get offered for them... even if we don't move them this year.

I made a thread, but we should extend Tatar.

Habs are NOT going to sign a UFA that will play on the "2nd" line and score 20G.

Everyone that cried about Radu, or Dzingle, or Duchene, or MoJ or any other forward MB didn't sign can't say trade this guy. The only way we replace him is either by trading assets or hoping a draft pick turns out as good as Tatar.

He seems to love it here and produces. At 30 years old we can get a good 3 or 4 years out of him. Sign him to a 5 year contract.

If the flyers can deal with Hayes at 7 Mill at 34 and 35 habs can do the same with Tatar.

Reactions: TooLegitToQuit

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
Ya it won't be popular on here, but MB should extend Tatar.

I know its popular opinion to trade him for MUH DRAFT PICKS, but I think we should offer Tatar 5x6 for 30 Million.

He will be 30 with the new contract, and we can be honest there is probably a less than 10% chance that the habs sign a UFA that can play on the 2nd line and score 20 G a season. The minute we lose Tatar we will be spending the next seasons lamanting that the team can't sign any UFA's to bolster the scoring.

If people were crying over not bringing back Radu, I don't see how you would not want to resign Tatar.

The 1st round pick that we get for him will take years and probably never get as many 20 G seasons as Tatar has. The guy has been one of the teams best offensive weapons since trading for him and you don't just replace that.

If he can sign for about 6 Million thats a great deal in todays NHL. When guys are getting 7 Million for 20 goal seasons, and top end guys getting 11 - 13 million, 50+ point Tatar at 6 Million is worth it.

Team has sat on cap space for years, UFA's aren't coming here, there is nothing to horde the cap space for. Resign Tatar.

We definitely have to gauge how much Tatar will want.

On tsn690 they were saying if he keeps playing like this next year, no doubt some team will offer him 7 million AAV. Do we want to pay that?

Reactions: jaffy27

scrubadam

Apr 10, 2016
The team was sort of/trying to be competitive at the time, different context.

He'll be over 35 when the Habs finally get competitive, I don't mind extending him cause I'm a fan boy and I don't think there's urgency in trading everyone over 30, but he probably will have to be moved at some point.

Also, WTF he's already 29???

He will only be over 35 in 6 years, plenty of time. And can you really say we will be competitive in 5 years ? Go back 5 years ago and do you think the team would be where it is today. 5 years from now NHL could be playing on the moon with 2 goalies in the net for all we know (LOL).

In the NHL you can turn your team around fast if you are smart about things. The minute this team makes the playoffs which we all hope will happen before 2025, we will want a guy who can score 20G and play on the 2nd line. Well that guy aint coming from UFA. So why not just keep the guy we already have.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
I made a thread, but we should extend Tatar.

Habs are NOT going to sign a UFA that will play on the "2nd" line and score 20G.

Everyone that cried about Radu, or Dzingle, or Duchene, or MoJ or any other forward MB didn't sign can't say trade this guy. The only way we replace him is either by trading assets or hoping a draft pick turns out as good as Tatar.

He seems to love it here and produces. At 30 years old we can get a good 3 or 4 years out of him. Sign him to a 5 year contract.

If the flyers can deal with Hayes at 7 Mill at 34 and 35 habs can do the same with Tatar.

I'm open to extending him but it's a calculation of several outcomes and situations. AAV/Term vs what we are offered in trade value. My favorite package is to the Pens... Steep price to pay but that's what it will take to pry him away at the deadline.

- Tatar
- Hillis
for
- Pens 2021 1st
- Poulin

We could entertain the idea of adding Kovalchuk to the mix

Reactions: scrubadam

scrubadam

Apr 10, 2016

On tsn690 they were saying if he keeps playing like this next year, no doubt some team will offer him 7 million AAV. Do we want to pay that?

7 Mill might be high, but thats why we try to get him now. But I think at this point the team has to consider it. 7 mill in 2023 will probably be equal to 5 million in todays NHL. Look at what players are getting paid. Wayne Simmonds got 5 Mill on one year. Hayes will be 35 making 7.1 Million on the flyers. Dzingle is making 6.75 on a 2 year contract.

All I know is that there is almost no chance that the habs land a UFA for 6-7 Mill that will match Tatar's output for the team.

I would have to think hard about it but I think the saying the devil you know or 2 in the hand applies here.

Reactions: Walrus26 and 26Mats

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
7 Mill might be high, but thats why we try to get him now. But I think at this point the team has to consider it. 7 mill in 2023 will probably be equal to 5 million in todays NHL. Look at what players are getting paid. Wayne Simmonds got 5 Mill on one year. Hayes will be 35 making 7.1 Million on the flyers. Dzingle is making 6.75 on a 2 year contract.

All I know is that there is almost no chance that the habs land a UFA for 6-7 Mill that will match Tatar's output for the team.

I would have to think hard about it but I think the saying the devil you know or 2 in the hand applies here.

That's definitely the saying I use for Kovalchuk - we know him, he's good, re-sign him. Same goes for Tatar.

Many hate this team and want to go all young. I would like to keep this team together - the same team we had to start the year, except adding Kovalchuk + one more skilled winger/Caufield + Scandella.

BUT, we may not even be able to keep even this group together, because so many of them will need raises on July 1, 2022 (i.e. after next year).

Tatar Danault Gallagher
Kovalchuk Domi Caufield
Drouin Suzuki Armia
Poehling Kotkaniemi Lehkonen

Chiarot Weber
Scandella Petry
Mete Romanov
Kulak Fleury

Price
Lindgren/Primeau

That could be an expensive group in 2022!

Burke the Legend

Feb 22, 2012
They know how valuable he is to the team. Two factors are:

1) what kind of offers he gets between now and february 2021. If there's a real juicy one it gets more tempting.

2) What the cap situation starts to look like towards summer 2022 when Tatar, Gallagher, Danault, Armia & Petry are all UFA, plus KK, Poehling and Fleury are RFA. Some of them could be due big raises.

sandviper

No Ragrets
Jan 26, 2016
Toronto
Ya it won't be popular on here, but MB should extend Tatar.

I know its popular opinion to trade him for MUH DRAFT PICKS, but I think we should offer Tatar 5x6 for 30 Million.

He will be 30 with the new contract, and we can be honest there is probably a less than 10% chance that the habs sign a UFA that can play on the 2nd line and score 20 G a season. The minute we lose Tatar we will be spending the next seasons lamanting that the team can't sign any UFA's to bolster the scoring.

The 1st round pick that we get for him will take years and probably never get as many 20 G seasons as Tatar has. The guy has been one of the teams best offensive weapons since trading for him and you don't just replace that.

If he can sign for about 6 Million thats a great deal in todays NHL. When guys are getting 7 Million for 20 goal seasons, and top end guys getting 11 - 13 million, 50+ point Tatar at 6 Million is worth it.

Team has sat on cap space for years, UFA's aren't coming here, there is nothing to horde the cap space for. Resign Tatar.

While I am in favour of trading him for MOAR picks, $6m x 5 seems reasonable given his production. We can't run with a team of 20-year olds so a vet who seems to be of good character like Tatar would be needed.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast

I'd give him $6M - $7M range depending on term. I think term will be the biggest issue with every single team. Yeah, he looks good with Montreal but there will be some thoughts about how he looked with Vegas. Team fit is a gamble for both Tatar and any other team that wants to give him term.

3 years takes him from 29/30 - 31/32. 3 years at $7M and front loaded? I might do that. $7M for 2nd tier top 6 talent like Tatar is not a bad AAV rate.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
While I am in favour of trading him for MOAR picks, $6m x 5 seems reasonable given his production. We can't run with a team of 20-year olds so a vet who seems to be of good character like Tatar would be needed.

I said 3x $7M and you say 5x $6M. Something like that is fair. Front load both contracts of course

Reactions: sandviper

Archijerej

Jan 17, 2005
Poland
No. We should not adopt a scorched earth policy towards veteran players, but we should definitely add to our future core and this can be done only by gradually phasing out the veterans. Tatar is the most logical choice to be next in line after Patioretty and Shaw. LW is our deepest position and wingers are the easiest to aquire via free agency.

Reactions: dralaf

ECWHSWI

TOUGHEN UP.
Oct 27, 2006

more than a few...

already making 5.3 AAV, add in cap increase...
and he got consecutive career years...
and he's never injured...
amd he's still young...

EXPOS123

Jun 29, 2010
Good God...this is why we are in the position we are in.

We can't keep stockpiling these nice complimentary players without having an engine to use them to build around.

At a certain point, you have to sacrifice for the greater good and that greater good is getting the game breaking young center.

Why not package, Tatar, Lehks and a 2021 st rounder to a team desparate to win now for a young impact center like Barret Hayton or Dylan Cozens?

Reactions: Edgy

scrubadam

Apr 10, 2016
No. We should not adopt a scorched earth policy towards veteran players, but we should definitely add to our future core and this can be done only by gradually phasing out the veterans. Tatar is the most logical choice to be next in line after Patioretty and Shaw. LW is our deepest position and wingers are the easiest to aquire via free agency.

LOL, thats why cap space has been our 2nd highest paid player for 3 years in a row and UFA are running here.

Ya sure the team will sign a UFA that will score 20G and 50-60 Points. Just like last season we signed a great UFA winger, and the same the year before. I got a bridge to sell you.

Archijerej

Jan 17, 2005
Poland
LOL, thats why cap space has been our 2nd highest paid player for 3 years in a row and UFA are running here.

Ya sure the team will sign a UFA that will score 20G and 50-60 Points. Just like last season we signed a great UFA winger, and the same the year before. I got a bridge to sell you.
I didn't say we'll sign one. I've said we have a relatively best chance to plug this position through free agency, even if it's not going to be a player of Tatar's calibre. You have Kovalchuk playing right in front of your eyes and you're gonna argue this point?

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
Good God...this is why we are in the position we are in.

We can't keep stockpiling these nice complimentary players without having an engine to use them to build around.

At a certain point, you have to sacrifice for the greater good and that greater good is getting the game breaking young center.

Why not package, Tatar, Lehks and a 2021 st rounder to a team desparate to win now for a young impact center like Barret Hayton or Dylan Cozens?

If you can get a deal like to get elite talent you do it. The hard part is finding a team willing to do that.

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
I'd give him $6M - $7M range depending on term. I think term will be the biggest issue with every single team. Yeah, he looks good with Montreal but there will be some thoughts about how he looked with Vegas. Team fit is a gamble for both Tatar and any other team that wants to give him term.

3 years takes him from 29/30 - 31/32. 3 years at $7M and front loaded? I might do that. $7M for 2nd tier top 6 talent like Tatar is not a bad AAV rate.

The problem is Gallagher, Danault, Domi, Armia, Lehkonen, Poehling, Kotkaniemi and others will all be free agents by july 2021 and may all need raises.

scrubadam

Apr 10, 2016
I didn't say we'll sign one. I've said we have a relatively best chance to plug this position through free agency, even if it's not going to be a player of Tatar's calibre. You have Kovalchuk playing right in front of your eyes and you're gonna argue this point?

But the truth is that we probably won't sign one. Look aroudn the league every UFA time teams sign guys in that age range to contracts to bolster their team. Heck MB was getting crap for not signing anyone in UFA.

Once Tatar is gone the search will begin for a player of his caliber, and then we will have to trade assets to get one.

As far as Kovalchuck, while he shunned the habs the first time around showing that Montreal doesn't get UFA and we only got him because he was kicked out of LA and basically on his last chance. Lets also remember how he played the last year and half before coming here and there was a reason he was bought out. But Kovalcheck reminds me of Semin and Brier.

thats the level of UFA we have generally been dealing with the Semins and Briers. Would rather keep Tatar who we know can be solid and contribute to this team. We lost Radu and didn't sign anyone to replace him via UFA. Lucky enough we got Tatar from the Max trade. In the end that means to get back a Tatar we have to trade a Domi or Drouin LOL.

Rosso Scuderia

Jun 30, 2012
I remember back then when Pacioretty was still with us, I wanted to trade him because i didn't want to give him 7M$ millions long term.. yet now we are considering to give the guy that we traded for him 6.5-7M$.

Tatar won't have the same value as Pacioretty but I'd prefer that MB pulls another similar type of trade.

Reactions: Edgy

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad