Tomas Tatar: no more AHL

cupforwings09

Mar 30, 2010
Michigan
I 100% agree Tatar should be playing. Especially for Daniel Cleary. But at the same, it is a business, and the depth of the team has kept us afloat this year. Tatar was provided a lot when he got the chance. But even he admits in this article the reasoning and business side of the decision.

I think it is known that he will be playing next year. If he doesn't, especially for Sammy or Cleary, I may be jumping on the Fire Ken HOlland Bandwagon. But this summer is the real test IMO.

RedWingsNow*

I 100% agree Tatar should be playing. Especially for Daniel Cleary. But at the same, it is a business, and the depth of the team has kept us afloat this year. Tatar was provided a lot when he got the chance. But even he admits in this article the reasoning and business side of the decision.

I think it is known that he will be playing next year. If he doesn't, especially for Sammy or Cleary, I may be jumping on the Fire Ken HOlland Bandwagon. But this summer is the real test IMO.

Holland's first test was 2009. He chose Franzen + depth over Hossa.

First mistake, especially when the depth (Hudler and Sammy) left anyway.

He's had tests during the offseason and trade deadline every year since, and failed.

The more tests he failed, the harder they became.

And by summer 2012, the test was impossible.

Through is inaction, he'd put himself in a position where
A) he needed to replace Lidstrom with a #1D
B) he needed to replace Stuart with a defensive, hardnosed D
C) He needed to develop Kindl and Smith in the same year, without the benefit of Lidstrom and Stuart's babysitting
D) He needed a winger for Datsyuk (they signed Brunner, but inexplicably never use him with Datsyuk)
E) He needed give Tatar and Nyquist the jobs they deserve

It was an impossible task, made harder by terrible signings (Sammy, Tootoo [who coach doesn't use], Colaiacovo) and the idiotic trade for Quincey. And this was on top of a roster that was already overstuffed with mediocrity.

The summer needed to be a HOUSE CLEANING, PLUS a MAJOR UFA SCORE, PLUS a REBUILD.

It's like any problem. THe more you ignore it, the more difficult it becomes.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
Would be a HUGE mistake.
At the moment, he's our best offensive prospect outside of Jarnkrok - and only because Jarnkrok is a center

Tatar is not better than Nyquist right now. I don't want him to be traded, I just think that he will be. An interesting part of this is I have to believe that Tatar hinted that Bobby Mac, Pierre were off on who was being included for JayBo. He talks about a trade that didn't happen that he was offered in at least when it translated for me, found that interesting.

Listen you guys can't say you hate how non-aggressive Holland is and hate him moving some of these guys. I would prefer it not be Tatar, but he is our most expendable wing player that will bring a decent return. His upside isn't better than Nyquist or Jurco.

I know his cameo sold a lot of people and I like him a great deal, always have. But if you have to choose between Tatar and Nyquist, Gus is still the choice for me, but more importantly he appears to be the choice of Red Wings management.

Brun0

Jul 24, 2009
Tatar is way better than jarnkrok. Its amazing how much bs swedes put in their hyping. Jarnkrok would not be a top prospect in any other team.

Datstromberg

Nov 12, 2007
Tatar is not better than Nyquist right now. I don't want him to be traded, I just think that he will be. An interesting part of this is I have to believe that Tatar hinted that Bobby Mac, Pierre were off on who was being included for JayBo. He talks about a trade that didn't happen that he was offered in at least when it translated for me, found that interesting.

Listen you guys can't say you hate how non-aggressive Holland is and hate him moving some of these guys. I would prefer it not be Tatar, but he is our most expendable wing player that will bring a decent return. His upside isn't better than Nyquist or Jurco.

I know his cameo sold a lot of people and I like him a great deal, always have. But if you have to choose between Tatar and Nyquist, Gus is still the choice for me, but more importantly he appears to be the choice of Red Wings management.

until samuelsson returns.

Retire91

Stevey Y you our Guy
May 31, 2010
Back in the day the Detroit's handling of these prospects was justified becuase it was a legitimately hard lineup to crack. Now I really don't understand why they essentially burry these players in the AHL.

Detroit went from being a sweedish and Russian destination of choice and has turned it into "if you get drafted by them forget it unless you want to play in the American bush leauge for 4 years"

The way they manage prospects now makes no sense. Anyone with talent is not going to handle being burried in the AHL and being sent up and down constantly especially when you can be a star overseas right now. Not when you can look down the bench and see 3 or 4 players you are play

DatsyukToZetterberg

Alligator!
Apr 3, 2011
Island of Tortuga
Tatar is way better than jarnkrok. Its amazing how much bs swedes put in their hyping. Jarnkrok would not be a top prospect in any other team.

Yeah you're right... Win a championship while going a point per game in the playoffs, check, finish in the top 15 for scoring, then in the next year finish in the top 10 in scoring on a bad team, check. Play in the WC at 21 years old, check.

You're right he wouldn't be a top prospect in any other organization, he might be able to make the top 20 in Colorado, SJ, NYR or Vancouver, but not with any other teams. :sarcasm:

cupforwings09

Mar 30, 2010
Michigan

Whoa, I don't know how you came to that conclusion. Jarnkrok is our number one prospect for a reason. Plenty of hockey scouts would disagree with that. I like Tatar and think he will be a good player, but he gets hyped as the saviour way too much.

HTT3*

I think Tatar is traded at the draft, just my opinion.

I think Tatar was on the table before trade deadline, but according to Holland, other GMs didn't see much value in him in terms of return.

Something seems off with Tatar... not sure what it is. Babcock and Holland don't seem to want to give him ice time other than to showcase him for a trade, and other GMs just don't see trade value in him.

RedWingsNow*

Without a doubt, Tatar is better than Nyquist -- in my opinion.

Tatar will be a 30 goal man in the league. Jurco may have higher upside. We'll see.

RedWingsNow*

I think Tatar was on the table before trade deadline, but according to Holland, other GMs didn't see much value in him in terms of return.

Something seems off with Tatar... not sure what it is. Babcock and Holland don't seem to want to give him ice time other than to showcase him for a trade, and other GMs just don't see trade value in him.

LOL

What seems off is your made-up-out-of-nowhere posts

RedWingsNow*

Whoa, I don't know how you came to that conclusion. Jarnkrok is our number one prospect for a reason. Plenty of hockey scouts would disagree with that. I like Tatar and think he will be a good player, but he gets hyped as the saviour way too much.

Because he's a center.

InjuredChoker

Dec 25, 2011
LTIR or golf course

Tatar will be a 30 goal man in the league. Jurco may have higher upside. We'll see.

Yeah, Nyquist may be better in AHL but Tatar has been better in NHL imo.

I think it would be mistake to trade Tatar now.. why not keep him up then? Or make room for him? He's value is not going to increase anymore in AHL. That would be bad asset management again, imo.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL

Too each their own, I don't think he is. Plus Tatar will need to improve his shooting accuracy to be the kind of goal scorer you are touting in a lot of your posts. Good to see you change that number from 40 to 30. I think in his best years he will hit the 30 mark a couple times. What I do like is he creates his own shot a lot, just needs to do more with it once open.

Once again I wouldn't trade him, just have a feeling he is the odd man out if shipped.

RedWingsNow*

I don't know, it seems a lot like they were showcasing him and then sent him down when they couldn't move him.

Speculate all you want. Just don't post it like HTT3 did

" but according to Holland, other GMs didn't see much value in him in terms of return."

HTT3 is attempting to say that HOLLAND SAID other GMs didn't see value in Tatar.

Utter ********.

cupforwings09

Mar 30, 2010
Michigan

Seriously? Nyquist is already significantly better then Tatar. Nyquist has been one of our best players as of late. Every time he is on the ice he controls the game. Again, I like Tatar, and I think he will be a good player, but there is 0 chance he is better then Nyquist.

RedWingsNow*

Seriously? Nyquist is already significantly better then Tatar. Nyquist has been one of our best players as of late. Every time he is on the ice he controls the game. Again, I like Tatar, and I think he will be a good player, but there is 0 chance he is better then Nyquist.

He's better than Nyquist now.
And he's younger.

When Tatar was up, there were several games where he was our most dangerous player.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad