Tomas Tatar: no more AHL

Birko19

Aug 13, 2002
Hamilton, Ont
Visit site
Good for Tatar, I would be annoyed if I was him too. It would be one thing if he came up and did not look ready, but completely a different story when you're up and making a difference, yet still get sent down.

I get it, we might have a certain jam in our line-up, but it would be wise to keep young players like that up if they're playing well. Sending them back down only hurts their development and confidence.

RedWingsNow*

Good for Tatar, I would be annoyed if I was him too. It would be one thing if he came up and did not look ready, but completely a different story when you're up and making a difference, yet still get sent down.

I get it, we might have a certain jam in our line-up, but it would be wise to keep young players like that up if they're playing well. Sending them back down only hurts their development and confidence.

Dude, Patrick Eaves has dogs to feed. He needs his NHL salary.

Flowah

Nov 30, 2009
Tatar may be good enough to play for the Wings, but there is a problem. He does not take direction well. This was learned after he was drafted and the Wings gave in to some of his demands and signed him to a contract. Maybe they hoped that things would change once he became accustomed to North American hockey and witnessed the level of play. Not so much. Tatar thinks too highly of himself. He seems to have the skill set to be on the roster, but his attitude and "me" mentality just say not now and maybe never as a Wing. I would not be surprised if he was traded to accommodate his rather large ego. That is a shame. Skill set-yes. Attitude/ego-no. I saw him play at Grand Rapids and he was almost invisible. For the Wings to make a commitment of a roster spot for him, there has to be a change. That rests square on his shoulders.

Never heard any of this. And considering what I've heard him say, quite patiently I might add, for the past 2-3 years while he played in GR, I'm going to need some kind of evidence or support..

RedWingsNow*

What's interesting is that the Dallas Stars were "sellers" at the deadline and it hasn't hurt them at all.

We could have traded White... How would that have effected us?
We could have traded Cleary and replaced him with Tatar. Would be worse off?

We could have been like the Sharks, and been buyers and sellers at the same time, clearing out the excess while getting a need filled.

But that requires a GM with a pulse

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
Tatar may be good enough to play for the Wings, but there is a problem. He does not take direction well. This was learned after he was drafted and the Wings gave in to some of his demands and signed him to a contract. Maybe they hoped that things would change once he became accustomed to North American hockey and witnessed the level of play. Not so much. Tatar thinks too highly of himself. He seems to have the skill set to be on the roster, but his attitude and "me" mentality just say not now and maybe never as a Wing. I would not be surprised if he was traded to accommodate his rather large ego. That is a shame. Skill set-yes. Attitude/ego-no. I saw him play at Grand Rapids and he was almost invisible. For the Wings to make a commitment of a roster spot for him, there has to be a change. That rests square on his shoulders.

He does do everything he can to improve as a hockey player but there is this mindset seeping through. What the Wings should do is channel it right. It is the same reason he wants to score, it is why when he comes up he wants the puck. He isn't scared, he thinks he is better than he is. If he hits the heights of his ceiling that can be a good thing, but it is something we haven't had in a while and tough to control.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
Never heard any of this. And considering what I've heard him say, quite patiently I might add, for the past 2-3 years while he played in GR, I'm going to need some kind of evidence or support..

His OHL versus AHL thing still sticks out for some. So the kid is confident, great teach it to Filppula. Most teams have some me people on them even the really good ones. That is on Babcock and Holland, use it.

HIFE

May 10, 2011
Detroit, MI
He does do everything he can to improve as a hockey player but there is this mindset seeping through. What the Wings should do is channel it right. It is the same reason he wants to score, it is why when he comes up he wants the puck. He isn't scared, he thinks he is better than he is. If he hits the heights of his ceiling that can be a good thing, but it is something we haven't had in a while and tough to control.

YESSS! That type of confidence is contagious. Hockey players should imagine they are better than they are. I don't care if he has an ego problem, call him up for the playoff run and see if he's good for it!

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
What's interesting is that the Dallas Stars were "sellers" at the deadline and it hasn't hurt them at all.

I want everybody to note the Stars haven't made the playoffs since 2008 and this is the first time in that span the Stars have been sellers. They've also picked in the top 10 and top 15 each season and their only elite prospect is a boom or bust goalie that appears to be struggling with professional duties.

So you know, life is great for the Stars... if you completely ignore their repeated failures and only highlight this 10 game span.

RedWingsNow*

He's a cocky player. No doubt.

But it takes confidence and self-assuredness to be a puck hog and goal scorer.

C'est la vie.

Jaromir Jagr is one of the biggest prima donas to skate in the NHL for the last 20 years. He's also one of the all-time greats.
Sergie Fedorov was considered an egomaniac by some.
Brendan Shanahan was an egomaniac by some...

Not saying Tatar is going to a hall of famer. But how much direction does a guy like Tatar need.

Wind him up. He tries to score.

RedWingsNow*

His OHL versus AHL thing still sticks out for some. So the kid is confident, great teach it to Filppula. Most teams have some me people on them even the really good ones. That is on Babcock and Holland, use it.

It's better to try to tame a tiger than paint stripes on a ***** cat

Hendricks433

Feb 18, 2013
It's better to try to tame a tiger than paint stripes on a ***** cat

Just get Tatar up here and let him work. The mediocrity and lack of offense is ridiculous. If Bert doesnt come back maybe they'll bring him up with Miller done for the season.

Rzombo4 prez

May 17, 2012
He's a cocky player. No doubt.

But it takes confidence and self-assuredness to be a puck hog and goal scorer.

C'est la vie.

Jaromir Jagr is one of the biggest prima donas to skate in the NHL for the last 20 years. He's also one of the all-time greats.
Sergie Fedorov was considered an egomaniac by some.
Brendan Shanahan was an egomaniac by some...

Not saying Tatar is going to a hall of famer. But how much direction does a guy like Tatar need.

Wind him up. He tries to score.

Absolutely right. If you don't think you are the best mother ^&$%@# in the locker room, you will never make it in the NHL.

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
yeah, good crazy folks :p:

Don't mind if I do!!

0AUr5WN.jpg

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
Man.. Holland is losing it. Hopefully he's starting to realize it with players saying stuff like this.

Tatar for me is trying to force a NHL job. We will see, but he knows these comments are not going to be well received, but I understand his urgency beyond just money or the feeling he has earned something. Tatar has a very real chance at a place on Slovakia at the Olympics. Staying in Grand Rapids will wipe the chance to represent at the Worlds more than likely this year. He also then will need the NHL to strengthen his case next year. He knows the Wings don't like these comments so if they don't plan on using him to start next year he can make another series and hopefully get moved. Just my read on the situation.

Be interesting though if he was sent out where his comments would go. A lot of you assume it will be all on Holland, I have a feeling his thoughts will extend to Babcock. He isn't shy if dealt we are going to find out.

TatarTangle

Sep 28, 2011
Detroit
Tatar for me is trying to force a NHL job. We will see, but he knows these comments are not going to be well received, but I understand his urgency beyond just money or the feeling he has earned something
When he is/was the best player outside of Zetterberg and Datysuk he reserves the right to be vocal about not being on a team that he deserves to be on. It's not his fault managment doesn't know how to properly handle players

WingedWheel1987

Jan 11, 2011
GPP Michigan
Tatar is exactly what is wrong with the Red Wings development system. Guy works his *** while on the Wings and outplays most of the veteran forwards on this team and outworks every veteran forward on this team not named Datsyuk or Zetterberg.

This is another year of potential development that is wasted.

It's not hard to imagine Brendan Smith having a much better year if he had played full time last year under the guidance of Lidstrom. He would have been far more sheltered last year and allowed him to build up his confidence and adapt to the NHL game. This year could have potentially been a Calder nominee year if everything broke right.

Tatar is now going to have to play his real first rookie year next year and make up for lost development time in the NHL.

All for what? So Justin Abdelakder can pretend to be a top six forward, Danny Cleary can continue to fall down and turn the puck over every other shift? Does Gator have some kind of life threatening disease? Maybe he was selected by the make a wish foundation and his one wish was to play with Pavel Datsyuk. It just makes no sense that Tatar is in GR over dumb and dumber. Babcock has to see how ineffective Gator is playing with Datsyuk. He isn't physical at all, he doesn't wear down the opposing line, and he can't score a goal unless Datsyuk redirects it off of his dumb***.

I am not mad that the Wings suck this year, i am mad that the Wings squandered a year of development for prospects that look like they have a lot of potential.

It was another year of developmental purgatory for a team with an aging core that can't afford to wait another year for the prospects to contribute.

Adityase

Mar 27, 2002
Troy, MI
Visit site

We could have traded White... How would that have effected us?
We could have traded Cleary and replaced him with Tatar. Would be worse off?

We could have been like the Sharks, and been buyers and sellers at the same time, clearing out the excess while getting a need filled.

This is very well said. I still think Holland should be judged by his summer during which he can redeem himself, but yeah... with a surplus of players we didn't have to completely handcuff ourselves.

Still, I'm glad we didn't trade White if we're going to use him (I think he's better than Qunicey any day of the week despite his size and attitude) and I don't believe ANYONE would want Cleary, but we could have traded Cola (or White) and we wouldn't be worse off. Cleary too, but I won't judge Holland for that.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->