Player Discussion Tomas Plekanec - Guess who's back, back again? Turtleneck's back, tell a friend! Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
Why do you keep ignoring the fact that ****ing Plekanec actually did his job?
I haven't ignored that...I've credited him for his work defensively. So he did PART of his job.

But someone who played as much as he did, needs to be able to contribute at BOTH ends of the ice and at this stage of his career, he just can't.

Now to tie it in to Scherbak, since this is a thread about him...I could see CJ pairing him with Plekanec, not sure how i'd feel about that.

Belial

Oct 22, 2014
Montreal
I haven't ignored that...I've credited him for his work defensively. So he did PART of his job.

But someone who played as much as he did, needs to be able to contribute at BOTH ends of the ice and at this stage of his career, he just can't.

Now to tie it in to Scherbak, since this is a thread about him...I could see CJ pairing him with Plekanec, not sure how i'd feel about that.

How is scoring 3 and allowing 4 is any better than scoring 1 and allowing .5? Because this is literally what we're discussing right now!

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
How is scoring 3 and allowing 4 is any better than scoring 1 and allowing .5? Because this is literally what we're discussing right now!
This is a weird question...now that we're in the right thread, perhaps you can elaborate?

Reactions: Peanut
Aug 25, 2009
éal
He's back to uselessly clog up a center spot from DLR again, joy.
Yeah, with Plekaenc in, seems like the 4th centre spot will be decided between Peca and DLR. I'd rather have Peca there but I liked what DLR did at the end of last season in Plekanec spot. But a player like him should learn to be effective playing wing as well.

After the Plekanec trade, DLR had 8 points in 20 games. Before that, he had 4 in 35.

Reactions: Redux91

habs73

Jul 29, 2006
Yeah, with Plekaenc in, seems like the 4th centre spot will be decided between Peca and DLR. I'd rather have Peca there but I liked what DLR did at the end of last season in Plekanec spot. But a player like him should learn to be effective playing wing as well.

After the Plekanec trade, DLR had 8 points in 20 games. Before that, he had 4 in 35.

DLR also had Galchenyuk as his left winger down the stretch, that might have helped his totals too

Censored Toad

Most Records Shattered as GM of the Habs!
Aug 8, 2016
How many games in the season until Tomas P. is playing C#2 behind the boy wonder Drouin?

Im going to give it by game 25 we will see Tomas P as our #2 C.

The reason behind my guess is that Tomas will start as #3 and we will be losing games ( No surprise, we suck!)
CJ being the dude he is... won't be able to help himself thinking that Tomas can prevent the bleeding with his great 2 way play and thus will promote him to second line C in an attempt to save the season.

Its also possible that MB gives that direction to CJ as we go 6-18-1...

I've been wrong before

Sorinth

Jan 18, 2013
How many games in the season until Tomas P. is playing C#2 behind the boy wonder Drouin?

Im going to give it by game 25 we will see Tomas P as our #2 C.

The reason behind my guess is that Tomas will start as #3 and we will be losing games ( No surprise, we suck!)
CJ being the dude he is... won't be able to help himself thinking that Tomas can prevent the bleeding with his great 2 way play and thus will promote him to second line C in an attempt to save the season.

Its also possible that MB gives that direction to CJ as we go 6-18-1...

I've been wrong before

Doesn't that mean he'd be taking away time from Danault who is also someone Julien likes?

I think if Plekanec were to become our #2, then it's going to be because Drouin is moved to wing and our center lineup would be Danault-Plekanec-De La Rose.

Benjamin Dobert

Aug 8, 2018
I think they planned on getting him back anyway. I thought it was a sly business move in order to acquire some decent players and a pick. Defenceman Rinat Valiev, forward Kerby Rychel and a 2018 second-round draft pick. AND we got PLK back? Comon...something was already figured out! No?

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
true, but gallagher's game does not require a center setting him up
I understand that...but suggesting that DLR's production only went up as a result of playing with Galchenyuk, isn't any different than it would be for any other player.

Most players tend to produce more, when they play more and are surrounded with talented players.

Belial

Oct 22, 2014
Montreal
I understand that...but suggesting that DLR's production only went up as a result of playing with Galchenyuk, isn't any different than it would be for any other player.

Most players tend to produce more, when they play more and are surrounded with talented players.
Answer me one question, was Plekanec placed in a position to produce?

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
Answer me one question, was Plekanec placed in a position to produce?
At the time of his trade, he was one of the most used players at ES on the team. I believe he was 2nd only to Pacioretty and just ahead of Danault & Drouin.

So I'd answer yes... absolutely.

Look up all 30 other NHL teams, the players who play the most at ES, tend to be their teams best and most producrive players.

Only in Montreal will you see a team use a uni-dimensional defensive player so much at ES.

habsgirl5000

Jul 15, 2017
I think they planned on getting him back anyway.

of course we were getting him back.....he was probably told the day he was traded we would sign him again....besides, the leafs don't want or need him, and nobody else probably does either.....re-signing guys like plecky ensures we stay where we are, stuck in a cycle of mediocrity, God forbid we play one of the kids in Pleckys spot, we would be so much worse of a team :rolleyes:

Belial

Oct 22, 2014
Montreal
At the time of his trade, he was one of the most used players at ES on the team. I believe he was 2nd only to Pacioretty and just ahead of Danault & Drouin.

So I'd answer yes... absolutely.

Look up all 30 other NHL teams, the players who play the most at ES, tend to be their teams best and most producrive players.

Only in Montreal will you see a team use a uni-dimensional defensive player so much at ES.

So a guy who gets 33.62% of Offensive zone starts and faces top opposition every shift is placed in a position to generate offense? Please...

nhlfan9191

Aug 4, 2010
So a guy who gets 33.62% of Offensive zone starts and faces top opposition every shift is placed in a position to generate offense? Please...

I may be off on this, but with a player getting the minutes Plekanec did with us, isn’t this more indicative of us being in our own end to much?

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
Well this is a loaded question...because no other NHL team uses high defensive zone start players, like Plekanec was/is, as much as the Habs do at even strength.

And the ones that do...can actually contribute at both ends of the rink.

It would be like if the Washington Capitals used Jay Beagle as their top ES center instead of Backstrom or Kuznetsov or even Eller or if the Nashville Predators used Nick Bonino as their top ES center instead of RyJo or Turris or if the Pittsburgh Penguins used Riley Sheahan as their top ES center insted of Crosby or Malkin

Tomas Plekanec's usage was/is unique to the Montreal Canadiens...the only other player/team who comes close is Travis Zajac in New Jersey, but that probably has to do with the fact that Nico Heisher, an 18yr old rookie, was their #1C

Belial

Oct 22, 2014
Montreal
I may be off on this, but with a player getting the minutes Plekanec did with us, isn’t this more indicative of us being in our own end to much?
No, it's only indicative of his usage.

Julien relied on him heavily defensively because Drouin was atrocious.

Well this is a loaded question...because no other NHL team uses high defensive zone start players, like Plekanec was/is, as much as the Habs do at even strength.

And the ones that do...can actually contribute at both ends of the rink.

It would be like if the Washington Capitals used Jay Beagle as their top ES center instead of Backstrom or Kuznetsov or even Eller or if the Nashville Predators used Nick Bonino as their top ES center instead of RyJo or Turris or if the Pittsburgh Penguins used Riley Sheahan as their top ES center insted of Crosby or Malkin

Tomas Plekanec's usage was/is unique to the Montreal Canadiens...the only other player/team who comes close Zajac in New Jersey, but that probably has to do with the fact that Nico Heisher, an 18yr old rookie, was their #1C

Here we go again...

I already explained this to you, and you somewhat agreed didn't you?

I have no idea why you focus on Plekanec all the time while Drouin and Chucky were just atrocious out there...

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
DLR also had Galchenyuk as his left winger down the stretch, that might have helped his totals too

With DLR, I'm more looking at his compete level, face off winning %, and how he uses his big body and good skating to limit time and space for the other forwards. I think it's worth a shot to have him play with more talented forwards too cause he did do well with Galchenyuk. DLR frees up space for others.

It will be interesting to see how we use DLR and Pleky. Danault is going to be one of the other centers and if Drouin plays center again, that puts DLR as our 4th line center?

Last edited:

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
Here we go again...

I already explained this to you, and you somewhat agreed didn't you?

I have no idea why you focus on Plekanec all the time while Drouin and Chucky were just atrocious out there...
#1 this thread is about Tomas Plekanec...not Jonathan Drouin or Alex Galchenyuk

#2. You may have explained yourself, but I don't recall "somewhat" agreeing with you...uni-dimensional defensive players, should not lead your team in ES icetime, unless they can contribute at both ends like say...Sean Couturier for example.

Couturier led the Flyers in Dzone starts with 56.4% (Plekanec was at 59%), he was also last among regular forwards in Ozone starts with 43.6% (Plekanec was also at 41%)...but he also finished with 31 goals & 76pts.

Which pretty much blows your theory that heavy Dzone start players can't also produce, right out of the water.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast

I think Pleky brings a lot to the center game cause he plays smart and his passing ability is still solid. But yeah, he will not be a face off king and he will get pushed around and lose puck battles.

Also, something that should not be overlooked is Pleky was a +3 for us last year with the minutes he played. Gallagher for example was a -13. Pleky certainly lost some offensive as he is getting older but he still has a lot of value as a defensive center. Problem is we are not getting full value from him being on our team and our soft group of forwards.

I would of rather the Habs target a tank year from the get go but they added Pleky for center insurance. Can we flip him for another 2nd at the next deadline? That would be sweet and make the signing make more sense. Two birds with one stone

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
I think Pleky brings a lot to the center game cause he plays smart and his passing ability is still solid. But yeah, he will not be a face off king and he will get pushed around and lose puck battles.

Also, something that should not be overlooked is Pleky was a +3 for us last year with the minutes he played. Gallagher for example was a -13. Pleky certainly lost some offensive as he is getting older but he still has a lot of value as a defensive center. Problem is we are not getting full value from him being on our team and our soft group of forwards.

I would of rather the Habs target a tank year from the get go but they added Pleky for center insurance. Can we flip him for another 2nd at the next deadline? That would be sweet and make the signing make more sense. Two birds with one stone
Please elaborate on that statement...cause I think that couldn't be further from the truth.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Please elaborate on that statement...cause I think that couldn't be further from the truth.

I disagree. His vision and playing making skill are not as good as they once were but he still got some game. His performance with the Leafs in the playoffs proved that. One of the best coached in the world relied on him heavy against the Bruins.

There is still some value with Pleky. I think the Pens would be a perfect fit as their #3C. Or the Oilers.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad