Player Discussion Tomas Plekanec - Guess who's back, back again? Turtleneck's back, tell a friend! Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017
Interesting how guys from Toronto want to play for the Leafs, yet Quebec players (good ones) want nothing to do with MTL.

We have literally one example in the leafs history of a marquee local guy joining Toronto (in their prime).

Now, maybe that is changing, but let's not pretend that Toronto didn't have their own issues for attracting stars, who are actually still stars.

If Montreal wants to get there, they need to draft their own version of Crosby, Malkin, mcdavid, dahlin etc... The best recruitment tool they can get is a player everyone wants to play with, and a competitive team. Toronto finally has it, and thats why they were able to nab JT.

badi

Jan 21, 2008
Great signing for the Tank!
He is good for 25 pts and 20m of ice time per game next year

Reactions: Natey

OldCraig71

Feb 2, 2009
No one cares
Knowing Bergevin I assume that Plekanecs bonuses kick in once he scores 5 goals so watch him go on a tear in October then mail it in .

Doc McKenna

A new era 2021
Jan 5, 2009
Knowing Bergevin I assume that Plekanecs bonuses kick in once he scores 5 goals so watch him go on a tear in October then mail it in .
Most of his bonuses just come from him playing a perimeter game. Every X number of games played is 250,000 He will get 3 million easy just by being a 4th line center which he is capable of. And we know there is very little chance of an injury because he is never in the dangerous areas, and with an incentive to not go in those areas he is even less likely to do so. Add to that how much Claude will make sure he plays every game regardless of ability.

Can you imagine we gave patches bonuses based on games played...LOL ghost wouldn't even explain how invisible he would be. This team is so clueless.

The only bonus I know he won't get is making the playoffs, mostly because Bustingbin couldn't even sign any other talent, which I bet he assured pleks he would get.

Reactions: OldCraig71

OldCraig71

Feb 2, 2009
No one cares
Most of his bonuses just come from him playing a perimeter game. Every X number of games played is 250,000 He will get 3 million easy just by being a 4th line center which he is capable of. And we know there is very little chance of an injury because he is never in the dangerous areas, and with an incentive to not go in those areas he is even less likely to do so. Add to that how much Claude will make sure he plays every game regardless of ability.

Can you imagine we gave patches bonuses based on games played...LOL ghost wouldn't even explain how invisible he would be. This team is so clueless.

The only bonus I know he won't get is making the playoffs, mostly because Bustingbin couldn't even sign any other talent, which I bet he assured pleks he would get.
I don't hate the fact that they brought him back but JDLR could have easily done what Pleks will do which is basically nothing. :laugh:

Natey

GOATS
Aug 2, 2005
Meh. Not sure why people are giving him a hard time. He was once a pretty good player. He WANTS to play in Montreal when most players don't.

Why wouldn't we want him? We're not making the playoffs. He's good to help with that.

MaxDummy

Yeah
Jul 3, 2011
Laval
Meh. Not sure why people are giving him a hard time. He was once a pretty good player. He WANTS to play in Montreal when most players don't.

Why wouldn't we want him? We're not making the playoffs. He's good to help with that.
Double standard I Guess. Markov should also be here.

Lshap

Hardline Moderate
Jun 6, 2011
Montreal
I don't hate the fact that they brought him back but JDLR could have easily done what Pleks will do which is basically nothing. :laugh:

The only possible downside to signing Plekanec is him blocking a younger C. Unfortunately, we have no one to block except de la Rose. I'm not a fan of DLR and wouldn't lose sleep if Pleks pushes him down the queue, but to be fair, this is the year to give him the #3C job and let him sink or swim. Maybe I'm wrong and the kid has an offensive upside...

Reactions: OldCraig71

Drytoast

Sep 27, 2017
Couldn't agree more, and although we don't have any legit top 6 centers; playing Drouin there only compounds the problem. We still don't have any top 6 centers and we effectively disadvantage a very capable winger by moving him to center. Makes no sense at all. Drouin is much more effective on wing and I can still see him blossoming into a 60-70+ point winger, but can't imagine him getting there at center without being a complete liability defensively, which this organization typically values to their own detriment. The case of JD is a strange one for sure.

I know you guys are done with him but in my opinion, Plekanec out performed Kadri in the playoffs. And if you could consider Kadri a #2 center then Plek has to be around there as well. That being said I dont think those two would gell together. (drouin and plek)

Peanut

Alzner is SOLID
Oct 28, 2015
I know you guys are done with him but in my opinion, Plekanec out performed Kadri in the playoffs. And if you could consider Kadri a #2 center then Plek has to be around there as well. That being said I dont think those two would gell together. (drouin and plek)

Reactions: Andrei79

Drytoast

Sep 27, 2017

That blows my brain.

Because from what I saw, Bergeron's line was eating us alive until Plekanec was paired up with him and then it felt like things settled down. Kadri though suspended was ineffective against Bergeron.

DramaticGloveSave

Voice of Reason
Apr 17, 2017
That blows my brain.

Because from what I saw, Bergeron's line was eating us alive until Plekanec was paired up with him and then it felt like things settled down. Kadri though suspended was ineffective against Bergeron.
Shows you sometimes these advanced stats are just wrong. Anyone who watched the games knows Plekanec was great for you guys.

Reactions: The Gr8 Dane

Peanut

Alzner is SOLID
Oct 28, 2015
That blows my brain.

Its all good it happens sometimes the eye test is bias and when a teams wins games you look past a lot of black hole stuff Pleks does for a team. Those advanced stats paint a good picture in how he did.

Some people actually thought Alzner was a good signing because he was on a winning team like the Caps.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad