LeBrun: Tomas Hertl not likely to sign extension with the Sharks

supsens

Oct 6, 2013
2.8 at 50 per cent, 1.4 with salary retained by a 3rd team, it is more than manageable. You can clear space to make room for him.

Why would a third team help out? Teams just took massive losses from covid. On top of that are the sharks paying this third team or is the other team? If the Sharks retain won't they want more in return? Pay the Sharks to retain pay a third team to retain pay for the value of Hertle..That sounds unreasonably expensive. Call back at the deadline
Why would the Sharks owner agree to pay money for him to play for someone else and pay for his replacement?

supsens

Oct 6, 2013
It's a matter of fact that he's been training this offseason. Might have something to do with him finally being healthy going into one for once.

Nothing for nothing but he is 31 and has steadily trended downwards for 5 straight years, historicaly things do not look good moving forward. I am not sure I have ever seen a player rebound from this type of thing.
Have you?

The Moose is Loose

Jun 28, 2017
St.Louis
They aren't but to a lot of these guys just getting to the playoffs is enough to call it competing because anything can happen. The Stars just the past two years went from Finals to out of the playoffs. A lot of teams turn around really quick and a lot of teams drop real quick. The Pacific is weak and that last divisional spot is up for grabs. Hertl will be playing with their top draft pick who is looking like a gamechanger. Yeah, they need a lot of things to go right but that happens for teams sometimes. I think your bar for competing in this context is probably much too high for what it really is for Hertl but we'll see. There are honestly only maybe a handful of teams that are likely competing for a Stanley Cup but it doesn't mean you don't go for it.

That would help and hopefully a healthy offseason for the first time assists in that. Karlsson will also look better with a more talented, motivated, and cohesive forward group taking his passes and better goaltending making things better than what an .896 save percentage the past three seasons has done.
Is Karlsson going to get PP1 minutes?

RationalExpectations

May 12, 2019
Why would a third team help out? Teams just took massive losses from covid. On top of that are the sharks paying this third team or is the other team? If the Sharks retain won't they want more in return? Pay the Sharks to retain pay a third team to retain pay for the value of Hertle..That sounds unreasonably expensive. Call back at the deadline
Why would the Sharks owner agree to pay money for him to play for someone else and pay for his replacement?
See Foligno trade last year, Shark got compensated a 4th just for taking 1.4m cap

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
He's the absolute perfect fit for the Avs as the 2C behind Mackinnon.

My hope would be the Avs being one of the 3 teams he'd accept a trade to(Perhaps the lure of a top tier cup contender gets us on that short list) which likely keeps the price down a little, in the 1st + B prospect + depth roster piece sort of deal.

But if Hertl opens his trade clause up and he's willing to go anywhere the price here is going to be very high, especially so if he ends up being willing to do a sign and trade sort of deal with some teams as well.

supsens

Oct 6, 2013
See Foligno trade last year, Shark got compensated a 4th just for taking 1.4m cap

Yes for a small amount of his salary because it was the end off season.Like I was saying a contender will not be paying all the costs of players and picks for a rental they don't need him all year

Hasbro

Family Friend
Sponsor
Apr 1, 2004
South Rectangle
My hope would be the Avs being one of the 3 teams he'd accept a trade.
He can say he’s willing to accept more than just three. It’s not like he can only pick 3 options to start the process and no one else can show interest. I’m sure there’s more than three teams he’d consider.

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
He can say he’s willing to accept more than just three. It’s not like he can only pick 3 options to start the process and no one else can show interest. I’m sure there’s more than three teams he’d consider.

What? I'm guessing you didn't read my full post where I clearly talked about that later.

However, he has a ntc where he only has to submit 3 teams he's willing to be traded to. Sure he can say he's willing to accept more than just 3, but he also specifically built that clause into his contract and has every right to refuse a trade to any team other then those 3.

If he submits Colorado, Tampa Bay, and Las Vegas for example as his 3 team trade list. He doesn't have to accept a trade to any other team in the league.

Tkachuk4MVP

32 Years of Fail
Apr 15, 2006
San Diego, CA
I mean, aren't both of those things relevant to this conversation? The bad contracts make competing difficult and the poor prospect pool will make the turnaround take longer. That will factor into whether a soon to be 28 year old is going to re-sign with the team he is on.

More of a joke about how the same talking points are repeated over and over in these Sharks-related threads. And the part about them having one of the worst prospect pools in the league is just flat out wrong.

OrrNumber4

Jul 25, 2002
He's the absolute perfect fit for the Avs as the 2C behind Mackinnon.

My hope would be the Avs being one of the 3 teams he'd accept a trade to(Perhaps the lure of a top tier cup contender gets us on that short list) which likely keeps the price down a little, in the 1st + B prospect + depth roster piece sort of deal.

But if Hertl opens his trade clause up and he's willing to go anywhere the price here is going to be very high, especially so if he ends up being willing to do a sign and trade sort of deal with some teams as well.

Even with a shortlist, I'm going to guess that bidding will be fierce. A (what will be a late) first + an top-notch prospect + a solid-yet-unspectacular-depth player would be my guess. From the Avs, something like 1st + Newhook + Kaut.

Sota Popinski

Registered Boozer
Sponsor
Apr 26, 2017
Minneapolis
Exceptions always prove the rule online,silly me. Even then the Habs are way better than the Sharks.
There are plenty of instances of mediocre teams making the playoffs and going on a run. The best regular season team in NHL history got swept in the first round two years ago. I'm sure you saw that coming though

Sota Popinski

Registered Boozer
Sponsor
Apr 26, 2017
Minneapolis
What? I'm guessing you didn't read my full post where I clearly talked about that later.

However, he has a ntc where he only has to submit 3 teams he's willing to be traded to. Sure he can say he's willing to accept more than just 3, but he also specifically built that clause into his contract and has every right to refuse a trade to any team other then those 3.

If he submits Colorado, Tampa Bay, and Las Vegas for example as his 3 team trade list. He doesn't have to accept a trade to any other team in the league.
He didn't specifically build it in. It's a Sharks thing. Kane, Jones and I think another player or two were given the same clause.

And I don't think he would be strict about it

Hasbro

Family Friend
Sponsor
Apr 1, 2004
South Rectangle
More of a joke about how the same talking points are repeated over and over in these Sharks-related threads. And the part about them having one of the worst prospect pools in the league is just flat out wrong.
The Athletic ranked them #22 this off season. THN Future Watch had them at 30th before the draft. Eklund is a lottery pick and you got some good guys like Bordealeau, Wiessblatt and Merkley. So what are we misssing?

BritainStix

F**k Cutter Gauthier
Oct 20, 2016
Sigh....The flyers should have thrown the kitchen sink at this in the offseason.

1st + 2nd + Frost/Brink.

Move Hertl down to a 2c and actually be a contender.

Heck, I'd even go hard after him now. JVR(cap reasons) + 1st + 2nd + any prospect.

Instead we got Atkinson, Risto and Nate f***ing Thompson.

CupcakeSprinkles

Apr 11, 2021
This would be a big signing/trade for Montreal if they could pull it off. Leaf Fan here - I have limited faith in Bergevin to pull off a big FA signing / trade.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad