MMC

Global Moderator
May 11, 2014
Orange County, CA
upload_2021-10-6_13-52-18.png

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
He'd get a lot of cash. I could see a team like the Kraken jumping on this in the offseason, or even earlier. That's assuming that they are reasonably competitive during the season, so are an attractive destination. Finding a competitive team with cap space may be an interesting challenge.

Reactions: Ginger Papa

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
LeBrun is not some super insider on the Sharks. Even this is a very uncertain opinion of the situation. Hertl very much likes it here and wants to compete. The team wants to compete too. A lot of this may depend on how the Kane situations concludes.

Reactions: Gecklund

Mick Riddleton

“A day without sunshine is like, you know, night.”
Apr 24, 2017
Niagara
Why would he want to stay, this team is not in contention. He will be gone during the year for sure.

The Moose is Loose

Jun 28, 2017
St.Louis
This is not surprising at all. He’s in his prime and the Sharks future looks pretty bleak rn. Multiple boat anchor contracts/buyouts on the books and no elite prospect pool like the other rebuilding teams.

I guess it’s surprising if you’re one of the sharks fans who would retort in every Hertl proposal “you’re not going to give us your best prospect + a 1st + more?!? well we will just resign him then!!!!” Haha

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
The sharks are not close to competing for anything and wont be for several years.

Look at the Pacific and you'll understand quickly why that simply isn't true. The division is weak and the Sharks have some young talent stepping in. If they get just decent goaltending, they will be competing for a playoff spot.

PAZ

Jul 14, 2011
BC
LeBrun is not some super insider on the Sharks. Even this is a very uncertain opinion of the situation. Hertl very much likes it here and wants to compete. The team wants to compete too. A lot of this may depend on how the Kane situations concludes.

Want to compete, and actually being able to compete are two totally different things. It really depends on how much Hertl wants to win a cup and play playoff hockey versus how much he likes it in San Jose. If he does care about competing, I have a hard time seeing Hertl re-signing with the Sharks before the TDL unless the team is firmly in a playoff position.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
Want to compete, and actually being able to compete are two totally different things. It really depends on how much Hertl wants to win a cup and play playoff hockey versus how much he likes it in San Jose. If he does care about competing, I have a hard time seeing Hertl re-signing with the Sharks before the TDL unless the team is firmly in a playoff position.

Which they very well could be this season considering how weak the division is and if Eklund is the real deal riding shotgun to Hertl, they can absolutely compete for that spot. We'll see.

Reactions: Fisticuffer

PAZ

Jul 14, 2011
BC
Which they very well could be this season considering how weak the division is and if Eklund is the real deal riding shotgun to Hertl, they can absolutely compete for that spot. We'll see.

True, I just don't know if being a playoff bubble team is enough for Hertl to re-sign. Vegas is clearly the top in that division and the Oilers should comfortably have one of the #2/3 positions. So that leaves one spot left for San Jose, Vancouver, Calgary, and LA (i'd bet that Central takes the other WC spot). It's possible, but unlikely that they'll clearly be ahead of the rest of the pack.

Edit: Objectively, I'd say San Jose's roster on paper is either on par or weaker than the other 3 teams they're competing with unless the vets find the fountain of youth.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad