LeBrun: Tomas Hertl not likely to sign extension with the Sharks

themelkman

Always Delivers
Apr 26, 2015
Calgary, Alberta
For Hertl with an extension? Sure, I think that's a fair package, though personally I'd much rather hang onto Newhook and move one of our LHD.

But without an extension he's not getting a prospect of that tier. There's simply no precedent of a rental ever returning a prospect as high end as what Newhook is(He's a borderline Top 10-15 prospect across the league).

As an Avs fan, without an extension the most I'd be going is something like 2023 1st + B Prospect + Roster forward.

Something like 1st + Martin Kaut + Tyson Jost. For an extended Hertl in the ~7.5M range, I'd offer up Byram honestly.

Yeah it's gonna depend on a few things. Mostly stemming from Hertl. As unfortunate as it is for the Sharks, he ultimately holds pretty much all the cards right now with that 3-team ntc.

For all we know he could be quite content to play out this season in San Jose, then have free reigns to choose exactly where he wants to go in the summer and let the UFA bidding war commence. So he could put like Arizona, Detroit, and Buffalo on his list of teams he'd accept a trade to knowing they would all basically have no interest in adding him.

He could also do something like that, and then force his way to one specific team, by telling the Sharks he will only accept a trade to X other team not on that list.

Or, he makes things a lot easier for the Sharks and offers up a list of like 10-12 contender sort of teams that he'd approve a trade too. And he could make things even better for them by opening up to an extension from certain teams as part of the deal.

Ultimately I think his range of value could honestly be anywhere from that of a 2nd + C level prospect like Hall got when he went to Boston.... Or he could honestly get something like a 1st + A tier prospect + solid roster player, if he's willing to sign an extension with 6-8 teams and they all get into a bidding war.

He's a phenomenal player that would put so many teams up a tier from where they are now. A team like Colorado or Vegas go from Top tier cup contenders to the heavy favorites to win. Someone like Winnipeg or Boston go from dark horse contenders firmly into that contender tier. Or teams like LA, Nashville, Montreal go from bubble playoff teams to darkhorse contenders. All from just adding one player.

From the Avs, for an extended Hertl on say a ~6x7.5M extension, I'd offer up Byram or Girard.

How highly do the Sharks value Ferraro right now? How close is something like Byram + Jost for Hertl + Ferraro?
Ferraro just wont be dealt in a deal like that. Sharks are positioning Ferraro as a future captain type and important franchise face and is basically untouchable (even though his value to other teams isnt sky high).

Hertl will probably just be dealt on his own, I dont expect to get a Byram level guy back even in the best possible deal though. Boldy has been a top tier guy id really like if it makes sense

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
Ferraro just wont be dealt in a deal like that. Sharks are positioning Ferraro as a future captain type and important franchise face and is basically untouchable (even though his value to other teams isnt sky high).

Hertl will probably just be dealt on his own, I dont expect to get a Byram level guy back even in the best possible deal though. Boldy has been a top tier guy id really like if it makes sense

agree Byram not offered

WSS11

Oct 7, 2009
Great... can’t wait for all the threads filled with Hertl for two mid-level prospects and a 3rd rounder proposals. Christ

Tkachuk4MVP

32 Years of Fail
Apr 15, 2006
San Diego, CA
The Athletic ranked them #22 this off season. THN Future Watch had them at 30th before the draft. Eklund is a lottery pick and you got some good guys like Bordealeau, Wiessblatt and Merkley. So what are we misssing?

The most recent Athletic rankings were in February of this year, is that what you’re referring to? If so, that and THN’s list aren’t very relevant considering they don’t include the Sharks’ top prospect and another decent one in Gaudreau. Aside from those two lists, the lowest I’ve seen the Sharks ranked is 22 and Bayer and Dobber Hockey both have them top 10.

And in addition to the players you mentioned, guys like Kniezov, Dahlen, Guschin, Robins and several others all have a shot at being regular NHLers. People forget that the vast majority of players don’t become NHL regulars, so if you have several prospects who fit that mold, even if most of them don’t fall into the blue-chip category, that doesn’t equate to “one of the worst prospect pools in the league.” That said, I will concede that they would be better suited to stock up on picks for at least this season, if not next, and Hertl is probably the player who could bring back the most in a trade.

Last edited:

ICanMotteBelieveIt

Jan 11, 2013
Does anyone know what he's looking for in terms of $? Depending on the $ I'd rather have him than Eichel on the Rangers.

ICanMotteBelieveIt

Jan 11, 2013
Everyone should be asking about Hertl, but his value will really depend on if he opens up the 3 team trade list or not. If he doesnt, sharks are probably looking at a first plus something minor. If he does its going to take a fantastic return
So 1st + 2nd draft picks from the Rangers would suffice?! Done.

ICanMotteBelieveIt

Jan 11, 2013
Probably something like 7-8 makes sense.
Wow, if true I'd rather get him over Eichel. We have too many righties and $7-8M is way better than Eichel's caphit.

We need to re-sign Zibanejad and Fox. So that $2-3M saved would help a lot.

The thing that scares me is his multiple knee injuries.

Stewie Griffin

What the deuce
May 9, 2019
Canada
Wow, if true I'd rather get him over Eichel. We have too many righties and $7-8M is way better than Eichel's caphit.

We need to re-sign Zibanejad and Fox. So that $2-3M saved would help a lot.

The thing that scares me is his multiple knee injuries.
Couturier signed for 7.75 so Hertl's comparable would be around there. The rumored ask was a prospect, pick, and NHL player. Obviously what those are would depend on if he is traded with an extension or as a rental.

ICanMotteBelieveIt

Jan 11, 2013
1st + Zac Jones + Georgiev? If he has a 3 teams trade list, fair offer?

To be frank I truly believe Jones will be a real good #2-3 D in his prime. If we didn't sign the pylon Nemeth Jones would be on the Rangers team.

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018
Barkov signing... Hertl just went up in value.

Once/if Eichel is traded, he'll go up more.

FTR.. I don't think the Sharks are that bad... weak division as well (I'm an Oiler fan)... I kind of hope he stays.

ICanMotteBelieveIt

Jan 11, 2013
1st
2nd
Jones
Strome
Georgiev

Pick your package for Hertl (this is with no extension in place and his 3 team trade list in full effect).

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
1st
2nd
Jones
Strome
Georgiev

Pick your package for Hertl (this is with no extension in place and his 3 team trade list in full effect).

I don't think the Sharks will value Georgiev much. They're invested in Hill at this point and have some goaltending prospects coming up. Honestly think that a Hertl rental return would be something like the package without Georgiev. Sharks could probably flip Strome somewhere else for a 2nd. I just would push for Lundkvist or Schneider over Jones. They just don't need another LHD prospect.

ICanMotteBelieveIt

Jan 11, 2013
I don't think the Sharks will value Georgiev much. They're invested in Hill at this point and have some goaltending prospects coming up. Honestly think that a Hertl rental return would be something like the package without Georgiev. Sharks could probably flip Strome somewhere else for a 2nd. I just would push for Lundkvist or Schneider over Jones. They just don't need another LHD prospect.
Lundkvist is on our starting team and he was one of the best D prospects outside of the NHL. Schneider almost made the team too, he won't be moved anytime soon. As soon as we can dump Trouba (3 years and counting down IIRC) Schneider will eat his minutes.

Yeah you could definitely flip Strome he has performed real good for us. Jones can play on both sides, just so you know. I think Jones will be better than Schneider but Schneider fills a bigger need for us.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
Lundkvist is on our starting team and he was one of the best D prospects outside of the NHL. Schneider almost made the team too, he won't be moved anytime soon. As soon as we can dump Trouba (3 years and counting down IIRC) Schneider will eat his minutes.

Yeah you could definitely flip Strome he has performed real good for us. Jones can play on both sides, just so you know. I think Jones will be better than Schneider but Schneider fills a bigger need for us.

It's also why we wouldn't value him that much. Just saying.

Groo

May 11, 2013
surfingarippleofevil
So Lebrun comes out and states that Barkov and the Panthers are hard at work with an extension as a result Lebruns eye naturally drifts toward Hertl being the best guy who might become available.

ICanMotteBelieveIt

Jan 11, 2013
It's also why we wouldn't value him that much. Just saying.
You got Burns and Karlsson for the foreseeable future on the right side.

Wouldn't you need to improve the LD? I doubt Burns/Karlsson will play on the 3rd pairing when they make so much $.

Jones would be on your top 4, potentially on your first pairing within 2 seasons.

Problem for us is we got Lindgren who's stapled to Fox. Miller and Trouba are set as a pairing (Gallant's own words).

And we signed Nemeth due to him being a Swedish vet so he could ease Lundkvist into everything, which is stupid. Zibanejad speaks Swedish and Nemeth is trash.

But ok, I get it. Unfortunately we're most likely trading for Eichs anyway.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad