Post-Game Talk: Tom Wilson vs the NY Ragdolls - 7pm

Status
Not open for further replies.

marcel snapshot

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 15, 2005
So the Fancy Dans from the world’s biggest media market gallantly swaggered on to the ice to avenge the horrifying acts of violence by the Washington History’s Greatest Monsters and did so by . . . bravely declining to fight Chara (multiple times) and Dillon, taking on notorious maniacs like Eller and Raffl, hurting Wilson’s hands by absorbing so many of his punches, and allowing the Monsters most beloved and inspirational teammate to nit this team even more closely together by leading the Monsters to victory with a hat trick. And the takeaway is . . . . the Rangers showed up?

Devil Dancer

Jan 21, 2006
I think they've shown they're just fine when Kuzy is out of the lineup.
Not really. They've played well without Kuzy this year in a handful of games. It's a tiny sample size. And these games against the Rangers are outliers because of the high emotions involved, between Osh and the wilson drama.

On Kuzy, what do we actually know? The team said he missed or was late for a team event, and he's now on the COVID protocol list, right? Am I missing anything else? I'm not trying to troll, I'm trying to get the facts right.

As for exposing him to Seattle, absolutely not. If the Caps decide his time here is over, they need to trade him. He should have high value around the league.

Reactions: RandyHolt

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
I think they've shown they're just fine when Kuzy is out of the lineup. It's when he takes up a roster spot and becomes a ghost or liability that's the problem.

There's been way too much off-ice hijinx and it's clearly enough of a locker room distraction/issue that Lavi put his foot down. I think Kuz gets one playoff run to shape up or he's shipped out.
I think they've shown they're just fine when Kuzy is out of the lineup. It's when he takes up a roster spot and becomes a ghost or liability that's the problem.

There's been way too much off-ice hijinx and it's clearly enough of a locker room distraction/issue that Lavi put his foot down. I think Kuz gets one playoff run to shape up or he's shipped out.

I think the foot that came down was the players

HeyMattyB

Sports bring out the worst in everyone.
Aug 20, 2010
Philadelphia, PA
Maybe this was already answered elsewhere, but can anyone with a better knowledge of recent hockey history than me recall the last time the NHL had one of these rough-and-tumble, eye-for-an-eye, drama-filled, Slapshot-esque, line-brawl clown shows? I feel like something this ridiculous only happens maybe once every few years, if that often.

A quick google search says the last whack PIM-filled games were VAN/CGY in 2013-2014 (204ish total PIMS) and PIT/NYI (346ish total PIMS) in 2010-2011--but that can't be right, can it? Has it been that long?

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
Probably, but with the blessing of the coach. I would guess Lavi got what he already wanted.

My take now is that Kuzy plays the next game or may not play anymore at all. Which means I think he plays the next game

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
Maybe this was already answered elsewhere, but can anyone with a better knowledge of recent hockey history than me recall the last time the NHL had one of these rough-and-tumble, eye-for-an-eye, drama-filled, Slapshot-esque, line-brawl clown shows? I feel like something this ridiculous only happens maybe once every few years, if that often.

A quick google search says the last whack PIM-filled games were VAN/CGY in 2013-2014 (204ish total PIMS) and PIT/NYI (346ish total PIMS) in 2010-2011--but that can't be right, can it? Has it been that long?

Probably earlier this season. It wasnt the only line brawl this season. But lets face it, there hasnt been a figure like Tom Wilson in the league in a good while

Reactions: Neil Racki

Eirikrautha

My take now is that Kuzy plays the next game or may not play anymore at all. Which means I think he plays the next game
Ehhh, by tying his absence to COVID protocols, it may be out of their hands. My guess is that whatever he and Sammy were doing instead of attending the team function was in public enough to slap with a protocol violation, thus sidestepping the need to explain him sitting for a while and free up cap space to bring up other players. Once he's in the protocol, the team might not be able to roster him until the right hoops are jumped through...

Reactions: sbhatt and Calicaps

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
Not really. They've played well without Kuzy this year in a handful of games. It's a tiny sample size. And these games against the Rangers are outliers because of the high emotions involved, between Osh and the wilson drama.

On Kuzy, what do we actually know? The team said he missed or was late for a team event, and he's now on the COVID protocol list, right? Am I missing anything else? I'm not trying to troll, I'm trying to get the facts right.

As for exposing him to Seattle, absolutely not. If the Caps decide his time here is over, they need to trade him. He should have high value around the league.

On Kuzy what we know is limited and requires a lot of reading the tea leaves. Its deciphering their code. When Ov missed practice and was scratched, they said he missed practice and then they presented Ovechkin to explain what happened to the media. This time its an unspecified "team function" and no further information or media avails have been allowed. Maybe the Oshie thing was coincidence. Maybe not. They dont explain anything with regard to COVID ever. It just seem coincidental that Kuzy going on COVID opens up cap space to retrieve a fill in player AFTER having played short handed in his first game held out. It makes it believable that the team is using the system. Further, COVID protocol seperates Kuznetsov from the team on all levels.

I have tried to believe that being late to something was both just a detail and innocent and that he just happened to run into a COVID situation again. Its NY afterall. But that seems like a stretch to me.

They arent going to expose him to the ED and lose him for nothing. Even if they have to trade him under duress, they would receive some legit value in return.

Can they be successful in the playoffs without him? Yes, but its a lot harder. .

Calicaps

NFA
Aug 3, 2006
Almost Canada
I think that is code for we can get Carr in the game if we put him on COVID.
I don't believe this At ALL. The protocol is a strict set of rules established through extensive negotiations among the league and the PA.

If Kuzy is in protocol it's because he risked exposure as defined by those rules, plain and simple. Sammy is probably in it too but they don't have to say because they can put him on the taxi which has different disclosure guidelines.

Reactions: Neil Racki

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
I don't believe this At ALL. The protocol is a strict set of rules established through extensive negotiations among the league and the PA.

If Kuzy is in protocol it's because he risked exposure as defined by those rules, plain and simple. Sammy is probably in it too but they don't have to say because they can put him on the taxi which has different disclosure guidelines.

Its hard to know. They tell us nothing and that wont change. We can only guess.

Calicaps

NFA
Aug 3, 2006
Almost Canada
Its hard to know. They tell us nothing and that wont change. We can only guess.
True, but if I'm right that doesn't really make anything better either. 2 weeks to the playoffs and these dunderheads risk bringing coronavirus into the room... Not good.

StrikingDistance

Buford T. Justice
Mar 19, 2015
DC
Very telling that the Ragdolls didn't want any part of Chara, Dillon, or Wilson. The only way Smith felt like he had a chance with Wilson was to jump him and he still lost. haha Caps staff did the right thing keeping Willy out because it would of opened him up to cheap shots from the playoff-less Ragdolls.

Kinda cool all the Caps players answered the bell when asked to fight. Who picks a fight with Hairboy Hags or Eller and feels good about it the next day? No one. Think they tried Mantha with a crosscheck? What would of happened if we beat down their precious Zibs? haha

Anyway, my daily chuckle quota was exceeded by 10am yesterday. Well done Caps and HF. The amount of headspace Wilson lives in is astounding. He's not only living rent-free, but laying waste to their homes, crops, livestock, and futures. A true horrific monster of hyperbolic proportions and he's all ours. Every team in the league wishes they had him.

So we have that going for us, which is nice.

giphy.gif

BiPolar Caps

Feb 9, 2010
NOVA

Multiple red flags may be eating at his high value. You don't think other GMs are not noticing what's going on with Kuznetsov.

Absolutely would like to get the most value you can for Kuznetsov, but in this cap flat era the shedding of 7.8 million a season for the next four seasons after this one may result in unforeseen dividends down the road in the signing of someone else who better fits the team's work ethic. It's frustrating but how many times have we seen this with players who have the obvious talent but lack the work ethic, mental strength, temperament, personal discipline (Semin, Burakovsky, Vrana, Kuznetsov).

Reactions: txpd

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
True, but if I'm right that doesn't really make anything better either. 2 weeks to the playoffs and these dunderheads risk bringing coronavirus into the room... Not good.

They are going to end up telling us so little that when the shit hits the fan there will be people here saying the team overreacted

Reactions: Calicaps

Tweedsuitcase

Sep 28, 2009
So the Fancy Dans from the world’s biggest media market gallantly swaggered on to the ice to avenge the horrifying acts of violence by the Washington History’s Greatest Monsters and did so by . . . bravely declining to fight Chara (multiple times) and Dillon, taking on notorious maniacs like Eller and Raffl, hurting Wilson’s hands by absorbing so many of his punches, and allowing the Monsters most beloved and inspirational teammate to nit this team even more closely together by leading the Monsters to victory with a hat trick. And the takeaway is . . . . the Rangers showed up?
Yeah, the takeaways i've seen from this game are ridiculous. The Rangers embarrassed themselves.

There is so much "context" around this game that is not even touched on, like upper management getting fired between games, Messier calling them soft...I think the players' response was as much a reaction to all that as to TW. Not to mention, they lost in every conceivable measure on the ice (INCLUDING the rough stuff).
To hear "the Ragdolls stood up and did manly things because the league wouldn't suspend Tom Wilson "for what he did"(which was completely unprovoked and predatory, obv)" is ludicrous.
Not to mention the obvious hypocrisy of everyone deriding TW and demanding violence against Caps players.

Chokingdogs

Apr 18, 2006
I gotta say...I haven’t been this entertained, and been witness to so much draaa-ma, since a certain red headed coach made a comment to a certain portly referee about a donut.

Honorable mention to domi/probert 2.

Calicaps

NFA
Aug 3, 2006
Almost Canada
I gotta say...I haven’t been this entertained, and been witness to so much draaa-ma, since a certain red headed coach made a comment to a certain portly referee about a donut.

Honorable mention to domi/probert 2.
I was telling a non-hockey friend last evening that this has been 72 of the most entertaining hours of my hockey life. And no matter what the idiots on NBC, twitter, reddit, or the mains, say, it is still true that any press is good press and the NHL is LOVING all this attention.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad