Confirmed Signing with Link: Tom Wilson Part II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Revelation

Aug 15, 2016
"Doesn't let up on anyone" is a euphemism for late hit.
I agree he isn't dirty by using his stick or hitting from behind but that's because he has found his dirty weapon of choice and it is a charging late hit to the head. So far it has worked well for him in that he only got one suspension in the playoffs instead of three.
I hope that the refs will be watching him more closely and his "affectiveness?" will be reduced but Ovie gets away way with the same **** so he may be okay.

There's late hit where you're coming across the ice and hit a guy ~2 seconds late with the intention to injure him (like Kadri on Wingels) and there's a late hit where you hit him 1/4 of a second late where it is more a case of timing than anything. Given how much scrutiny he gets (including from the refs who always take him off for misconduct in any altercation no matter if he's at fault) and how many hits he throws the fact that he only had one suspension during the regular season/playoffs in 5 years speaks to him toeing the line. He had suspensions in the preseason but then evolved his game to the point where he didn't get any more suspensions until the Pens series.

Even if he starts passing up more hits in response to the changing league guidelines he'll still be effective because of how little he flinches when taking a hit while having the puck. Half our top line goals begin with him cleanly handing the puck over to Ovechkin or Kuznetsov while getting wiped out by a defender who takes himself out of the play in the process, leaving them with a scrambling defense and a ton of space.

ReggietheSavage15

Feb 27, 2008
It's not that complicated, you have a couple of them on the Caps. In my mind, since you really want to know, an "offensive force" is a PPG player, or maybe a player north of 30-35 goals. The potential for, maybe, 20 goals, does not even come close to being an "offensive force." That's almost sort of cute....

Like I said, if he can follow the career arc of Wayne Simmonds, the contract is good.

He got this deal based off of his regular season and playoff run. No reason to think that it was an aberration. He put up big numbers in Plymouth and was a 1st round pick for a reason. Might be finally seeing him live up to his potential. Offensive force, by your standards, or not.

Revelation

Aug 15, 2016
It's not that complicated, you have a couple of them on the Caps. In my mind, since you really want to know, an "offensive force" is a PPG player, or maybe a player north of 30-35 goals. The potential for, maybe, 20 goals, does not even come close to being an "offensive force." That's almost sort of cute....

His line is an offensive force as the result of what he brings and the team is an offensive force as a result of minutes he plays and the penalties he draws/punishment he lays out over the course of a game or series.

He's obviously not gonna be confused with a great sniper/playmaker who can create or finish all of his own but the caps have like 7 of those already and no one to do what Wilson does. And 34 ES/PK points puts him in respectable company as does his playoff scoring (though everyone's writing that off it would seem).

Reactions: ReggietheSavage15

Nico the Draft Riser

Devils, Rams, Hawks, Twins fan
Nov 18, 2017
You can clearly see him interacting with other Caps on the bench and then laughing. Nice try on trying to fit it to your narrative.

Wilson also said they saw each other and both embraced for impact. **** happens. Were you on Orpik for not apologizing to the Avs player when he broke an arm?
Yeah yeah, he 'braced for impact.

Interesting how bracing for impact is taught at a squirt level yet somehow Wilson managed to go flying into his bench after hitting Reese on his opposite shoulder

Nico the Draft Riser

Nov 18, 2017
Perhaps we should start a thread about who you’d rather have on your team during the Regular Season OR Playoffs; Miles f’ing Wood or Tom Wilson. How do you think that’ll go? What, objectively is there to suggest that Wood is a better player prey tell?

Your post is moronic.
Yeah yeah, cause Tom Wilson is such a stud on his own line.

Oh wait thats right he barely outproduced Wood wile playing with Backstrom, Kuznetsov, and Ovechkin

Youre about as clueless as Wilson is

Lomez

Too Awesome for Top 100
Mar 29, 2009
PGH, PA
His line is an offensive force as the result of what he brings and the team is an offensive force as a result of minutes he plays and the penalties he draws/punishment he lays out over the course of a game or series.

He's obviously not gonna be confused with a great sniper/playmaker who can create or finish all of his own but the caps have like 7 of those already and no one to do what Wilson does. And 34 ES/PK points puts him in respectable company as does his playoff scoring (though everyone's writing that off it would seem).

I said it was an understandable contract he is an asset to the team, what more do you need? I don't know how long you've been watching your own freakin' team, but they've had guys who were "offensive forces" long before Wilson came around, and would certainly be so whether he skates with them or not. Calm down fellas, he's good, but let's not get carried away.

StephenPeat

Jul 19, 2015
Yeah yeah, cause Tom Wilson is such a stud on his own line.

Oh wait thats right he barely outproduced Wood wile playing with Backstrom, Kuznetsov, and Ovechkin

Youre about as clueless as Wilson is
There’s not one objective poster who isn’t a Devils homer who would take Wood over Wilson today for any reason. Do you think teams game plan for Miles Wood? I assure you they do for Tom Wilson.

Nico the Draft Riser

Nov 18, 2017
There’s not one objective poster who isn’t a Devils homer who would take Wood over Wilson today for any reason. Do you think teams game plan for Miles Wood? I assure you they do for Tom Wilson.
Miles Wood is the fastest player in the league right with McDavid

Miles Wood scored almost as much without needing first line stars

Miles Wood is two years younger

You sure about that big boi?

StephenPeat

Jul 19, 2015
Miles Wood is the fastest player in the league right with McDavid

Miles Wood scored almost as much without needing first line stars

Miles Wood is two years younger

You sure about that big boi?
Tom Wilson is engraved on the trophy. Miles Wood’s mom still thinks he’s a stud hockey player. I’m guessing your mom is the one that told you to use the word boi?

Reactions: CapsJunkie

Nico the Draft Riser

Nov 18, 2017
Tom Wilson is engraved on the trophy. Miles Wood’s mom still thinks he’s a stud hockey player. I’m guessing your mom is the one that told you to use the word boi?
Ahh you realized Wood is the better player and resorted to team achievements

Ill take this win thank you very much

johnsic

Nov 12, 2009
Tom Wilson is not a first line winger. He might be played on the first line, and he might be paid more than an average first line winger, but he is not a first line winger.

So literally playing in the first line does not mean that player is a first line player in your mind? :D

StephenPeat

Jul 19, 2015
Ahh you realized Wood is the better player and resorted to team achievements

Ill take this win thank you very much
Tom Wilson had nearly half as many PTs in 21 Playoff Games as Miles Wood has had in any 60+ Game NHL SEASON. Take that. Or are those team achievements as well?

When it comes to Woods’ or the Devils success in Games that matter you’ll likely need whatever moral victory you think you’ve won here. It’s likely to be the only one you’ll be getting.

Nico the Draft Riser

Nov 18, 2017
Tom Wilson had nearly half as many PTs in 21 Playoff Games as Miles Wood has had in any 60+ Game NHL SEASON. Take that. Or are those team achievements as well?

When it comes to Woods’ or the Devils success in Games that matter you’ll likely need whatever moral victory you think you’ve won here. It’s likely to be the only one you’ll be getting.
Just for fun... Miles Wood | 19 goals, 32 points, 76 games, 12:28 average TOI Tom Wilson | 14 goals, 35 points, 78 games, 15:59 average TOI

Miles Wood: 2.02 5v5 points per 60, most frequent linemates were Pavel Zacha and Brian Boyle. Tom Wilson: 1.78 5v5 points per 60, most frequent linemates were Alex Ovechkin and Nicklas Backstrom.

As provided by Todd Cordell

Your stats of Wilson playing with superstars during a cup run arent impressive

StephenPeat

Jul 19, 2015
Just for fun... Miles Wood | 19 goals, 32 points, 76 games, 12:28 average TOI Tom Wilson | 14 goals, 35 points, 78 games, 15:59 average TOI

Miles Wood: 2.02 5v5 points per 60, most frequent linemates were Pavel Zacha and Brian Boyle. Tom Wilson: 1.78 5v5 points per 60, most frequent linemates were Alex Ovechkin and Nicklas Backstrom.

How about either one of those two players points per 60 in the Playoffs? Kinda difficult because I doubt Woods played a full 60minutes during the postseason and, well......ZERO is ZERO. Data provided by ME.

God King Fudge

Championship Swag
Oct 13, 2017
So literally playing in the first line does not mean that player is a first line player in your mind? :D
If I take Cedric Paquette and play him on the first line, is he a first liner or a fourth liner playing on the first line?

StephenPeat

Jul 19, 2015

The last time Miles Wood scored over 35PTs playing in ANY LEAGUE at ANY LEVEL was 2013 in High School. I wouldn’t hold my breath on him having a breakout and dramatically surpassing the all-around game he’s demonstrated to be inferior to Tom Wilson in multiple facets at the pro level. Instead I’d venture Woods may never score more than he did last season at the NHL level and that’s literally the single aspect you could even argue he may be slightly better than Wilson at (note: many fast players -Jason Chimera, Andrew Cogliano, Carl Hagelin aren’t very good two-way players, something Wilson certainly is). And that’s obviously Playoffs aside.

StephenPeat

Jul 19, 2015
What does that have to do with Tom Wilson not being a first liner?
Miller’s most common line mates in TB are Stamkos and Kucherov. Give Wilson a full season on the Top Line with PP time and I think he could put up similar #s. What’s so hard to understand?

Reactions: Koized

Revelation

Aug 15, 2016
If I take Cedric Paquette and play him on the first line, is he a first liner or a fourth liner playing on the first line?

Would he score at a 60 point pace and play almost 18 non-PP minutes a game while helping Stamkos and Kucherov's balls drop? In that case you'd be dumb not to play him there

Revelation

Aug 15, 2016
Yeah yeah, he 'braced for impact.

Interesting how bracing for impact is taught at a squirt level yet somehow Wilson managed to go flying into his bench after hitting Reese on his opposite shoulder

It's almost there's a difference in speed and momentum between the NHL and squirt level

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
The last time Miles Wood scored over 35PTs playing in ANY LEAGUE at ANY LEVEL was 2013 in High School. I wouldn’t hold my breath on him having a breakout and dramatically surpassing the all-around game he’s demonstrated to be inferior to Tom Wilson in multiple facets at the pro level. Instead I’d venture Woods may never score more than he did last season at the NHL level and that’s literally the single aspect you could even argue he may be slightly better than Wilson at (note: many fast players -Jason Chimera, Andrew Cogliano, Carl Hagelin aren’t very good two-way players, something Wilson certainly is). And that’s obviously Playoffs aside.
Miles Wood > Tom Wilson

Similar numbers, but Wood did it without Ovechkin / Backstrom / Kuznetsov.

Micheal Ferland is also > Tom Wilson.

There really is no defending this contract, sorry. I mean he's essentially getting paid Backlund money, who resigned as a pending UFA and is infinitely better than Wilson...

StephenPeat

Jul 19, 2015
Miles Wood > Tom Wilson

Similar numbers, but Wood did it without Ovechkin / Backstrom / Kuznetsov.

Micheal Ferland is also > Tom Wilson.

There really is no defending this contract, sorry. I mean he's essentially getting paid Backlund money, who resigned as a pending UFA and is infinitely better than Wilson...
Backlund, Ferland, Wood. Combined 10 Playoff PTs.
Tom Wilson 2018 15 Playoff PTs.

It is what it is.

God King Fudge

Championship Swag
Oct 13, 2017
Would he score at a 60 point pace and play almost 18 non-PP minutes a game while helping Stamkos and Kucherov's balls drop? In that case you'd be dumb not to play him there
Pace means nothing. Kucherov was on pace to score 82 goals and 132 points after October was finished. He didn't.

When Tom Wilson scores 60 in a season, then we can talk about him being in that realm.

Until then, he's a 3rd/2nd line tweener that found chemistry with stars on the top lines and still only managed 35 points. Color me impressed.

God King Fudge

Championship Swag
Oct 13, 2017
Miller’s most common line mates in TB are Stamkos and Kucherov. Give Wilson a full season on the Top Line with PP time and I think he could put up similar #s. What’s so hard to understand?
And Miller was the tiniest bit under a PPG in TB with 18 pts in 19 games. You're telling me Tom Wilson can be a PPG player, or even close? Cause hoooooooooooooooooooly **** if you are.

Miller scored over 50% of Tom Wilsons season totals in 19 games with TB.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad