Confirmed Signing with Link: Tom Wilson Part II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ugene Magic

EVIL LAUGH
Oct 17, 2008
Pittsburgh
The ownership group has money. The issue is that Trotz was looking to rip up a contract for which two more years had been triggered owing to playoff success. More than the money, they resented the unwillingness to abide by a contract he'd signed. If he was unwilling to do so, why sign it in the first place? The answer of course is that shortly after he signed it, Babcock signed and it changed the salary landscape for coaches. Everybody wants to get paid.

They weren't going to renegotiate a contract out of principle, and liked their man on deck anyway. So they agreed to let him out of a contract they might have chosen to enforce, which they probably could have done, however counter productive that would have been going forward. They wished him well and thanked him for his contributions to team success.

It was never about the money, though. This isn't the money they otherwise would have had in the coffers to pay Trotz. They were always going to be a cap team, minus some cap flexibility buffer room to use at the deadline.

Had the Caps not made the finals is ownership going to honor that contract?

No.

They probably were moving on which makes this a wash. At least that's how I see it. Both parties have to agree to initiate that agreement/extension. That's why it was an option.

GoCaps2004

Jun 26, 2014
Lol. You're not actually trying to justify Wilson getting Backlund money?

Ferland: 5pts in 13 playoff games
Wilson: 20pts in 62 playoff games
Just for some other context, I think Wilson was wrongfully forced to develop in the NHL, which stunted his growth.
Wilson played 41 playoff games aged 19-23
Ferland played 0 playoff games aged 19-23

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
Just for some other context, I think Wilson was wrongfully forced to develop in the NHL, which stunted his growth.
Wilson played 41 playoff games aged 19-23
Ferland played 0 playoff games aged 19-23

Perhaps, but even last year, his performance was significantly inflated by secondary assists and playing elite players. He's not likely to ever produce anywhere near the rate seen from him in the playoffs (which is only a 58 point pace).

I mean, the dude had a career year last year and still only had 26 primary points playing with elite linemates.

He's probably worth about 2.5-3M.

Reactions: JoeThorntonsRooster

Nico the Draft Riser

Devils, Rams, Hawks, Twins fan
Nov 18, 2017
How about either one of those two players points per 60 in the Playoffs? Kinda difficult because I doubt Woods played a full 60minutes during the postseason and, well......ZERO is ZERO. Data provided by ME.
So your using a playoff run where the team of Wilson was far better and allowed him to play more games

Yes I love comparing 20+ games to Wood's five, makes total sense haha.

Just admit you have nothing and Wood is better

Nico the Draft Riser

Nov 18, 2017
The last time Miles Wood scored over 35PTs playing in ANY LEAGUE at ANY LEVEL was 2013 in High School. I wouldn’t hold my breath on him having a breakout and dramatically surpassing the all-around game he’s demonstrated to be inferior to Tom Wilson in multiple facets at the pro level. Instead I’d venture Woods may never score more than he did last season at the NHL level and that’s literally the single aspect you could even argue he may be slightly better than Wilson at (note: many fast players -Jason Chimera, Andrew Cogliano, Carl Hagelin aren’t very good two-way players, something Wilson certainly is). And that’s obviously Playoffs aside.
He doesnt need a breakout

Wood is better NOW and will be in the FUTURE

Reactions: JoeThorntonsRooster

GoCaps2004

Jun 26, 2014
Perhaps, but even last year, his performance was significantly inflated by secondary assists and playing elite players. He's not likely to ever produce anywhere near the rate seen from him in the playoffs (which is only a 58 point pace).

I mean, the dude had a career year last year and still only had 26 primary points playing with elite linemates.

He's probably worth about 2.5-3M.
the dude also just turned 24. He developed in the NHL, so combining all his stats is dumb. Having a career year as a 23 year old isn’t a surprise, especially for players who are developing and progressing in the NHL. He’s young. It is somewhat logical to presume that a player who is still developing, and is now beginning to get into his prime years will still improve.

Don’t get me wrong, this is a bit of an overpayment, but guessing that he’s worth 2.5-3m is absurd. Maybe 3.5-4 on a one year deal, but no way caps would do a 2 year deal and let him walk. The other option was to lock him up long term, which is what the caps wanted.

Koized

Oct 8, 2005
Had the Caps not made the finals is ownership going to honor that contract?

No.

They probably were moving on which makes this a wash. At least that's how I see it. Both parties have to agree to initiate that agreement/extension. That's why it was an option.

The contract doesn’t auto-extend if they don’t win the Cup. So your assumption is baseless.

StephenPeat

Jul 19, 2015
So your using a playoff run where the team of Wilson was far better and allowed him to play more games

Yes I love comparing 20+ games to Wood's five, makes total sense haha.

Just admit you have nothing and Wood is better
Just admit the Caps were better because they have players like Wilson. Haha

StephenPeat

Jul 19, 2015
And Miller was the tiniest bit under a PPG in TB with 18 pts in 19 games. You're telling me Tom Wilson can be a PPG player, or even close? Cause hoooooooooooooooooooly **** if you are.

Miller scored over 50% of Tom Wilsons season totals in 19 games with TB.
Some context might help. 6 of Miller’s 18 PTs in TB came on the PP. If Wilson saw that PP time with OV and Kuznetsov and increased his production by 1/3.......he’d be a damn similar player to J.T. Miller.

God King Fudge

Championship Swag
Oct 13, 2017
Some context might help. 6 of Miller’s 18 PTs in TB came on the PP. If Wilson saw that PP time with OV and Kuznetsov and increased his production by 1/3.......he’d be a damn similar player to J.T. Miller.
We will agree to disagree.

I don't think Wilson can produce anywhere near what Miller can produce. I guess we'll find out this coming season. I have a feeling one guy is going to be pretty comfortably ahead of the other.

StephenPeat

Jul 19, 2015
except for the stats I posted

whether you ignore them or not doesnt make them any less true
You posted STAT (EV PTs per 60) in which Wood was marginally better than Wilson. The numbers you quoted; 2.02 for Wood vs. 1.78 for Wilson are also not correct and like your entire argument essentially blindly disingenuous. The ACTUAL #s pulled from QUANTHockey are 1.99 for Wood 1.79 for Wilson.

I guess you can stand on the hill of essentially 1 more goal every 5 Games entirely at Even Strength to justify that Wood is better or look a little more closely and realize that if Wilson has a slightly lower PTs per 60 and plays 3 minutes more than Wood per game he still out scores Wood on the season, check the overall season stats, they still say Wilson outscored Wood. It’s likely if Wood was useful enough that he played the extra 3:00 Wilson does he probably wouldn’t maintain his artificially inflated PTs per 60 which are being buoyed by low TOI. Wilson also doesn’t average the nearly 1 full minute of PP time Wood does and again on the season outscored Wood. Wilson also kills penalties, plays decent defense, is a feared forechecker, and has an extra gear for the Playoffs.

As of today and likely always Tom Wilson is a demonstrably better hockey player than Miles Wood and again I’d imagine 30 GMs would rather have Wilson in both the Regular Season and Playoffs and it’s not close.

Johansen2Foligno

CBJ Realest
Jan 2, 2015
They probably figure he will only see about $2M of that money with all the suspensions.

That was nice of Washington.

Nico the Draft Riser

Nov 18, 2017
You posted STAT (EV PTs per 60) in which Wood was marginally better than Wilson. The numbers you quoted; 2.02 for Wood vs. 1.78 for Wilson are also not correct and like your entire argument essentially blindly disingenuous. The ACTUAL #s pulled from QUANTHockey are 1.99 for Wood 1.79 for Wilson.

I guess you can stand on the hill of essentially 1 more goal every 5 Games entirely at Even Strength to justify that Wood is better or look a little more closely and realize that if Wilson has a slightly lower PTs per 60 and plays 3 minutes more than Wood per game he still out scores Wood on the season, check the overall season stats, they still say Wilson outscored Wood. It’s likely if Wood was useful enough that he played the extra 3:00 Wilson does he probably wouldn’t maintain his artificially inflated PTs per 60 which are being buoyed by low TOI. Wilson also doesn’t average the nearly 1 full minute of PP time Wood does and again on the season outscored Wood. Wilson also kills penalties, plays decent defense, is a feared forechecker, and has an extra gear for the Playoffs.

As of today and likely always Tom Wilson is a demonstrably better hockey player than Miles Wood and again I’d imagine 30 GMs would rather have Wilson in both the Regular Season and Playoffs and it’s not close.
Wood is similar size, much faster, scores even numbers with lesser players, and is younger.

What else do you need to see? One playoff run on a cup winning team entirely alongside superstars, while impressive, doesnt change much.

StephenPeat

Jul 19, 2015
Wood is similar size, much faster, scores even numbers with lesser players, and is younger.

What else do you need to see? One playoff run on a cup winning team entirely alongside superstars, while impressive, doesnt change much.
It’s literally more impressive than anything Miles Wood has ever done.

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
the dude also just turned 24. He developed in the NHL, so combining all his stats is dumb. Having a career year as a 23 year old isn’t a surprise, especially for players who are developing and progressing in the NHL. He’s young. It is somewhat logical to presume that a player who is still developing, and is now beginning to get into his prime years will still improve.

Don’t get me wrong, this is a bit of an overpayment, but guessing that he’s worth 2.5-3m is absurd. Maybe 3.5-4 on a one year deal, but no way caps would do a 2 year deal and let him walk. The other option was to lock him up long term, which is what the caps wanted.

He's not worth that sort of money. If the caps wanted term, they should have weighed that with how unreasonable the ask was relative to market. Wilson just isn't worth that kind of money by all relevant metrics. Even 6x4 for a UFA like him would be a stretch.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad