Player Discussion Tom Wilson - Part 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
And yet the usual hand-wringing over hitting and getting in trouble for it was ignored by whoever was coaching the team, and their physicality played a big role in winning the Cup. That is exactly the Rx some of us had for them--to ignore those concerns from years past and keep putting the hammer down. IMO it was a part of their playoff identity, which made a big difference.

Corby78

65 - 10 - 20
Jan 14, 2014
Ramstein Germany
Or Wilson committed 13 minors in 24 playoff games, no one else committed more than 8, really hurting them the 1st 2 games against Columbus, if you’ve got to worry about him making it a 5 on 3 he’s less valuable as a PKer, they won the Cup playing an extremely disciplined game, he’s their least disciplined player and extending him with an AAV over $4M when everyone else is playing on discounts actually sends a bad message to the locker room.

I disagree with this. I think the players understand his role and what comes with that. I also haven’t seen Wilson taking dumb penalties while on the pk. I would rather see Wilson get 2 minutes for roughing up a guy taking liberties around the net then somebody getting 2 for slashing in the offensive zone while being lazy. You need to be playing near the line or your being too conservative. It payed off this year

maacoshark

Jul 22, 2017
Or Wilson committed 13 minors in 24 playoff games, no one else committed more than 8, really hurting them the 1st 2 games against Columbus, if you’ve got to worry about him making it a 5 on 3 he’s less valuable as a PKer, they won the Cup playing an extremely disciplined game, he’s their least disciplined player and extending him with an AAV over $4M when everyone else is playing on discounts actually sends a bad message to the locker room.
Of those 13 minors, how many times did he take an opponent to the box with him. I admit he does take some undisciplined penalties but its not as many as you make it out to be.
If you want to look at undisciplined and lazy penalties we should be discussing Kuzy and Eller.

Holtbyisms

Matt Irwin is a legit talent
Jul 1, 2012
Bedford, PA
Of those 13 minors, how many times did he take an opponent to the box with him. I admit he does take some undisciplined penalties but its not as many as you make it out to be.
If you want to look at undisciplined and lazy penalties we should be discussing Kuzy and Eller.
I'll take my undisciplined penguins series clinching goal and cup clinching goals with sugar please.

Reactions: Silky mitts

Silky mitts

It’s yours boys and girls and babes let’s go!
Mar 9, 2004
He took an opponent with him 4 of 13 times, then 3 power play goals allowed in those 9 other minors, but this is what you’re paying him for, to be a disrupter, like it’s inherent in his game and if you’re saying you take those penalties because the guys on the other side have to worry about being concussed, that’s why he didn’t go to arbitration. You pay Kuzy and Eller to drive their lines, when they commit a lazy penalty you take it because your eyeballs and data and concrete examples elucidate their value to the team. But all this shit about how Wilson’s value is hard to quantify and gives 100% like Eller who’s been here 2 years isn’t all in, Eller who left $5M plus on the table, it’s code for he is capable of ending careers with technically legal hits. And if his talent with the puck warrants $1.5M which I believe it does, if you give him $5M you’re paying him as much just for hitting hard more than everything Eller gives you.

Last edited:
Reactions: Jags

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
Wilson's value is hard to quantify, since both sides are talking long term. Not to mention now BMac has seemingly set a precedent on players accepting reasonable contracts to play here.

Eller. Kuzy. DSP. Carlson. Kempny and Bowey jury is out but those are lower end contracts anyways.

I wonder how much of a home team discount if any Willy will accept. I feel like Willy's agent will point at our almost unprecedented cap space and his play style, and advise him to play hard ball. More pieces to the cap projection puzzle.

Reactions: VaCaps Fan

maacoshark

Jul 22, 2017
He took an opponent with him 4 of 13 times, then 3 power play goals allowed in those 9 other minors, but this is what you’re paying him for, to be a disrupter, like it’s inherent in his game and if you’re saying you take those penalties because the guys on the other side have to worry about being concussed, that’s why he didn’t go to arbitration. You pay Kuzy and Eller to drive their lines, when they commit a lazy penalty you take it because your eyeballs and data and concrete examples elucidate their value to the team. But all this **** about how Wilson’s value is hard to quantify and gives 100% like Eller who’s been here 2 years isn’t all in, Eller who left $5M plus on the table, it’s code for he is capable of ending careers with technically legal hits. And if his talent with the puck warrants $1.5M which I believe it does, if you give him $5M you’re paying him as much just for hitting hard more than everything Eller gives you.
Hard to compare the players. They are completely different styles.
Kuzy has a lot of flaws in his game but the skill level is off the charts. Easily the most skilled player on the team. Eller also has flaws. He is a good possession player but quite often he hangs on to the puck way too long and ends up with a costly turnover. He also takes dumb penalties. In my opinion Wilson isnt as skilled but he has less flaws in his game. He is responsible defensively and usually makes smart plays with the puck. He is a very good forechecker. Its his physical play that makes him a good forechecker.
I wouldn't say he is as valuable as Kuzy but I would take him before Eller any day of the week. He brings something to the game that few players do now.

maacoshark

Jul 22, 2017
I'll take my undisciplined penguins series clinching goal and cup clinching goals with sugar please.
Why change the subject? We aren't talking about skills. We are talking about lazy penalties. A dumb penalty is a dumb penalty. It doesnt matter who it is. No one should get a free pass.
Giving your so called star players a free pass is what turns them into lazy players.

Silky mitts

Mar 9, 2004
Hard to compare the players. They are completely different styles.
Kuzy has a lot of flaws in his game but the skill level is off the charts. Easily the most skilled player on the team. Eller also has flaws. He is a good possession player but quite often he hangs on to the puck way too long and ends up with a costly turnover. He also takes dumb penalties. In my opinion Wilson isnt as skilled but he has less flaws in his game. He is responsible defensively and usually makes smart plays with the puck. He is a very good forechecker. Its his physical play that makes him a good forechecker.
I wouldn't say he is as valuable as Kuzy but I would take him before Eller any day of the week. He brings something to the game that few players do now.
Is anyone able to make a case for Wilson over Eller with statistics, concrete examples, or logic without citing his ability to injure? Like I poke holes in Wilson’s game with specific examples of him hurting the team in these big games, and this comment is just perpetuating stereotypes of Ellers game before this past career year. I know in all my years following this team they’ve never had the 3rd line perform in the playoffs nor could they withstand losing a guy like Backstrom, that’s my anecdotal argument for Ellers value being paid as a top 6. I feel like Wilson is the best right wing for Ovechkin since Knuble, a little better than Justin Williams, and the fact that few people bring what Wilson does is because the NHL is trying to move away guys who even inadvertently commit head trauma so going long term carries inherent risk present with no other player.

Jags

Mildly Disturbed
May 5, 2016
Central Florida
of all the guys on the team Tom Wilson has CONSISTENTLY, EVERY GAME EVERY SHIFT, shown he will give 100% and put his body on the line to do whatever's necessary to win. You wish every guy on your team was like that. Reward those players and set an example.

Wilson is a locker room leader

These are exactly the types of things everyone said about Brooks Laich when we gave him a big raise. Same kinda thing, too... A prototypical 3rd-liner thrust into a top-6 role, holding his own, and earning top-6 money as a result.

No one would have predicted Laich would fall that far and I realize it's an apples/oranges comparison in a lot of ways, but it's an object lesson nonetheless; a cautionary tale with some glaring similarities.

I think 4x4 is enough across the board. In line with the raise he's earned and then some to compensate for a couple UFA years. Doesn't hurt the team at all if he falls back to the 3rd, not an underpayment if he sticks up top and keeps playing well. It'd be similar to Carlson's last deal.

A little more AAV for another year or two? Sure. But these blanket statements that he's worth 5m right now and will be worth 7 or more in a couple years? That's all a bit much, is all I'm saying.

Last edited:

Alexander the Gr8

May 2, 2013
Toronto
These are exactly the types of things everyone said about Brooks Laich when we gave him a big raise. Same kinda thing, too... A prototypical 3rd-liner thrust into a top-6 role, holding his own, and earning top-6 money as a result.

No one would have predicted Laich would fall that far and I realize it's an apples/oranges comparison in a lot of ways, but it's an object lesson nonetheless; a cautionary tale with some glaring similarities.

I think 4x4 is enough across the board. In line with the raise he's earned and then some to compensate for a couple UFA years. Doesn't hurt the team at all if he falls back to the 3rd, not an underpayment if he sticks up top and keeps playing well. It'd be similar to Carlson's last deal; considerably more lucrative relative to the cap.

A little more AAV for another year or two? Sure. But these blanket statements that he's worth 5m right now and will be worth 7 or more in a couple years? That's all a bit much, is all I'm saying.

It's probably fair to call Wilson a top-6 winger at this point in his career, but anything over $4-4.5 M is overpayment. We need to keep in mind that we paid Oshie $5.5M on a long term deal and he provides a much more complete game with his offensive production.

Usually, AAV goes down on longer deals, I'd pump the brakes big time before we even think of paying him over $5M. Needs to have more than just one good year. Top 6 players get paid $4-4.5M all the time, I see no issue with this.

Jags

Mildly Disturbed
May 5, 2016
Central Florida
Ask the other players, the coaches, and the hockey media outside the cities we beat whether or not he helped or hurt the team on their way to the Cup.

First of all, Wilson's not universally well-liked or respected by players, coaches, and hockey media outside of DC. Far from it. Just as much criticism and outright hatred as there is begrudging respect and gung-ho support. And that's being generous. So I don't think that poll would turn out the way you're implying. (I think you're right, but the majority of the people you're saying we should ask are folks that think Tom should go f*** himself.) ;)

Secondly, we were 2-1 without him during the suspension. His line didn't struggle offensively or defensively without him (they were actually a little better off in both categories). Small sample, sure, but also crucial games versus top-shelf competition.

And before you throw another "You're a Wilson hater!" post at me, I'm honestly a huge fan, hope he stays forever, and wish we could clone him. All I'm saying is that this idea people seem to have about Tom Wilson being transformative on our top line just doesn't prove out. He holds his own, adds a couple worthwhile elements, and drafts well off a couple superstars. But there are no statistics that indicate that he's a boon to that line offensively or defensively. He costs them a little offensively and offsets it with his physical prowess and doggedness in both ends.

It's a wash, but one that serves a purpose. I think the team's performance in those games during the suspension probably had a "Let's win it for Tom!" vibe akin to how they played without Backstrom. And there's real value to that camaraderie in a sport whose championship is won largely via that brotherhood and bunker mentality.

But the "he creates space" and "he's worth 5m all day long and more soon" stuff is overstated. He's certainly not a passenger on our top line, but his contributions there aren't all that mind-blowing, either.

Calicaps

NFA
Aug 3, 2006
Almost Canada
No one is excited that Willy can injure people. What he can and should do is hurt guys. It’s an important distinction. Make them feel pain and react accordingly. It’s hockey.

Reactions: Portable Mink

Silky mitts

Mar 9, 2004
No one is excited that Willy can injure people. What he can and should do is hurt guys. It’s an important distinction. Make them feel pain and react accordingly. It’s hockey.
That’s exactly why people say it’s hard to define his value, because no one wants to say injuring people is good, but he injures a tremendous amount of people in the playoffs to such a degree he has taken teams wills and that’s how I define his value. He got into the Penguins heads this year like the Heath Ledger Joker got into the head of the guy that was guarding him after Batman leaves.

Reactions: VaCaps Fan

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
Yep. Willy on 1?

We won a cup. Some may call it luck :), meanwhile his 2 linemates were basically 1 and 2 for the Conn Smythe. Fact is Ovi's consistent playoff scoring never really included his RW. Not even Knuble, IIRC. Wilson was involved in creating scoring chances at ES and his points are proof. Against the best, of course.

You know who said Willy creates room for Ovi? Besides me. Scott Laughlin on XM. He makes defensemen nervous. Probably forwards, too. He is a bull forward that can plow a clear path any time anywhere he wants. I think in the racing world, they call that drafting.

Last edited:

Jun 15, 2007
The proof is in the results. What else can he do to shut up the critics? Blow kisses to the fans while scoring 30 goals? Jesus.

What do you mean by proof? We don't have a lot of proof of what this team looks like without Wilson.

Silky mitts

Mar 9, 2004
The proof is in the results. What else can he do to shut up the critics? Blow kisses to the fans while scoring 30 goals? Jesus.
I don’t understand how Wilson has nothing left to prove but the jury’s still out on Burakovsky. Both could improve but both can regress. Wilson’s conditions were better last year than Burakovsky.

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
I don’t understand how Wilson has nothing left to prove but the jury’s still out on Burakovsky. Both could improve but both can regress. Wilson’s conditions were better last year than Burakovsky.

You don't understand how a guy who was so bad he was scratched has something to prove? We've seen Wilson's steady progression into a very distinct skillset at power forward. Burakovsky has been wildly inconsistent and seeing a sports psychologist to straighten himself out because of it. Yes, both can get better. One was more consistent and stable in development. What's your point?

Silky mitts

Mar 9, 2004
You don't understand how a guy who was so bad he was scratched has something to prove? We've seen Wilson's steady progression into a very distinct skillset at power forward. Burakovsky has been wildly inconsistent and seeing a sports psychologist to straighten himself out because of it. Yes, both can get better. One was more consistent and stable in development. What's your point?
Everyone’s arguments for Wilson aren’t arguments they are narratives. He has a steady progression, consistent and dependable, gives 100%, great in the room, these aren’t real things, this is what Bergevin wants in his players. This is the first year Wilson averaged .1 goals a game, $4M would make him the 33rd hughest paid RW in the NHL, of course Wilson has something to prove.

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
Everyone’s arguments for Wilson aren’t arguments they are narratives. He has a steady progression, consistent and dependable, gives 100%, great in the room, these aren’t real things, this is what Bergevin wants in his players. This is the first year Wilson averaged .1 goals a game, $4M would make him the 33rd hughest paid RW in the NHL, of course Wilson has something to prove.

"Narratives". LOL

Ok man, whatever you say. None of it's real.

VaCaps Fan

Sponsor
Feb 18, 2018
A glimmer of "old time hockey" from Tom Wilson is more than enough in Bettman's "shit time hockey".....

Calicaps

NFA
Aug 3, 2006
Almost Canada
That’s exactly why people say it’s hard to define his value, because no one wants to say injuring people is good, but he injures a tremendous amount of people in the playoffs to such a degree he has taken teams wills and that’s how I define his value. He got into the Penguins heads this year like the Heath Ledger Joker got into the head of the guy that was guarding him after Batman leaves.
I have no idea what you’re saying here. It’s not hard to define his value, at least IMO. He makes guys hurt. He makes guys run away. He separates men from the puck and from their A-game. He causes turnovers all over the ice. Plus he has some hands, strong D/PK skills, and hockey sense enough to play on the top line opposite the greatest LW of all time. He’s a rare player in this league because of that combo. He’s valuable, not only to the Caps but to any team. And he should get paid in the $4-5M range if he gives up UFA years.

See? Easy.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad