Tom Wilson late hit on Mark Jankowski

Dexter Colt

Oct 29, 2007
Mendham, NJ
I'm sure the hit wasn't legal, but I would also like to start seeing real time playbacks in threads like this....All of these late/high hit threads where all we get a is a slow motion replay are starting to get frustrating.
Especially here when it's a matter of time elapsed after touching the puck. Good hit in itself but timing is the issue, and the replay does little to help estimate it.

Reactions: Another AZ

Chips

Aug 19, 2015
Why are giving Wilson partial credit because his skates were on the ice and his elbows were tucked? It's still a hit on a player who was ineligible to be hit.

But I guess it not being super dirty is the bar for him?

This is minor, hence the minor penalty. Even if a Joe Blow threw the hit, I wouldn't be that mad. The only part I have an issue with (and this goes for most hits by him) is how far he travelled to lay the hit.
Common sense makes this hit not that bad. Slo mo of course makes it look worse, but even then look at the full context, both player not just the name on Wilsons back. Wilson having a history doesnt mean peoples eyes cant accurately relay info

Puck is high in the air, 9 times out of 10 the pens player there highs ticks the puck to their feet rather than baseball wacking it, at which point he'd presumably be playing it. If that happens, Wilson gets there riiiight on time. That was "traveling a distance" in the sense every player is always moving lol. Yea, he knew the hit was an option and was waiting to decide on that or poke, or shift this way or that way.
He anticipated, took a chance on a big hit in a hotly contested game as Caps-Pens tend to be, recklessly, and ended up committed interference. 2 min minor. Not really thread worthy.
It's a penalty for sure. Now we're discussing whether it warrants something more. How can we possibly do that with a slow-mo replay, as we're literally discussing the amount of time between when Jankowski got rid of the puck and when the hit happened.

I'm quickly hating all these threads where we're analyzing what a hitter should have been thinking, but doing so based on a slow-mo replay.

Lazlo Hollyfeld

The jersey ad still sucks
Mar 4, 2004
Common sense makes this hit not that bad. Slo mo of course makes it look worse.

Puck is high in the air, 9 times out of 10 the pens player there highs ticks the puck to their feet rather than baseball wacking it, at which point he'd presumably be playing it. If that happens, Wilson gets there riiiight on time. That was "traveling a distance" in the sense every player is always moving lol. Yea, he knew the hit was an option and was waiting to decide on that or poke, or shift this way or that way.
He anticipated, took a chance, recklessly, and ended up committed interference. 2 min minor. Not really thread worthy.
From the way Jankowski is swinging his stick it's obvious the puck isn't going to be anywhere near his skates nor will he be in possession of it. Jankowski travelled almost 20 feet after making contact with the puck before Wilson hit him.

It'd be good to see it realtime to tell just how late it was, but this is not a case of Wilson thinking Jankowski is still going to have possession of the puck when he hits him.

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
At least he didn't laugh after hurting another player this time. Some growth is better than no growth.

hamzarocks

Jul 22, 2012
Pickering, Ontario
Wilson needs to go to the Marchand School of Anger control.

I hate that guy still because of his past actions, but Marchand has realized he is way to good and valuable to be doing dumb things on the ice which will lead to him getting suspended. He doesn't go for headshots/cheapshots/low bridge etc plays anymore.

Wislon while several tiers below Marchand, is still a quality top 6 player with grit. This hit in itself wasn't too bad besides being late, but he needs to keep his mindset open and realize he's too good to be making dumb goon like plays in the future. Hes the capitals 2nd best winger after OV

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad