Tom Wilson late hit on Mark Jankowski

sandysan

Dec 7, 2011
I watched the damn play. The puck was nowhere near the hit and there was nothing gained as far as trying to win the game by the hit. It was totally unnecessary and exactly the sort of hit that needs to be out of the game.
oh there WAS ( and IS) something to be gained as far as trying to win the game by finishing your checks.

Was it late ? it was close, if it was late its a two minute interference call.

what was the call on the ice ?

sandysan

Dec 7, 2011
This is hockey - not UFC. You are probably missing the part that you are not supposed to hit a player without the puck? You know, in hockey you are supposed to move a black thing called puck with sticks and try to shoot it into a net. Preferrable the opponents net. If you dont have the black thing, the opponents shouldnt be hitting you. It is a rule in this. A rule means something like: This you can do and this you cannot!

Capiche?

You are not supposed to hit a player without the puck ? so I can keep the puck on my stick and use it as a shield from being hit by getting rid of it to draw a call ? That's not how it works.

Possession of the Puck: The last player to touch the puck, other than the goalkeeper, shall be considered the player in possession. The player deemed in possession of the puck may be checked legally, provided the check is rendered immediately following his loss of possession

it looks to me that Jankowski WAS in possession of the puck, and if you want to argue that Wilson's hit was so late that it is interference, then that's a debate worth having. The notion that so long as you don't have the puck on your stick that you are immune form being hit is somewhere between sophomoric and straight out wrong.

As for the people claiming that the hit was super bad because jankowski was not expecting it, well that could have been rectified as well.

Reactions: Another AZ

TooManyHumans

May 4, 2018
oh there WAS ( and IS) something to be gained as far as trying to win the game by finishing your checks.

Was it late ? it was close, if it was late its a two minute interference call.

what was the call on the ice ?
It isn't "finishing a check" when the hit is made well after the puck is gone.

Reactions: sanscosm

sandysan

Dec 7, 2011
It wasn't immediately after, thus the penalty.

who decides " immediately" ? you ?
by the time wilson hit jankowski, no one else had touched the puck. He was still in possession of the puck and could be legally checked.

if the check was late, then its a two minute interference call and nothing more.

sandysan

Dec 7, 2011

that's a judgement call and forgive me for not taking your position as the law of the land.
if it was late, it was close enough to being on time that he deserves two minutes or nothing. and finishing a check that is precisely what wilson did.

you do not need to have the puck on your stick to legally be targeted by an opposing player.

and please do not bring up the idiotic notion of an " unnecessary" hit.

sandysan

Dec 7, 2011
the salient metric is not how far away the puck is, its the time after no longer being in control but still being in possession.

for example if a player with the puck crosses the blue line and fires a dump in to the corner, the puck may be WAY far away from him when he is hit, but its the TIME that matters. There is literally zero reason to invoke where the puck is.

the rules say that as long as someone else doesnt touch it, he's still eligible to be hit if done so immediately. if you want to zapruter the film for a 2 min minor, be my guest.

BiolaRunner

Jan 19, 2018
5 days and 16 pages later, we still only have a slo-mo video of the hit. The hit looked late for sure but hard to judge how late it was at that speed. If puck was on Janko's stick, it's a beauty of a hit. As it was, it wasn't and 2 minutes interference is the right call. It doesn't help that Janko was in a vulnerable position.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad