Tom Wilson Has Arrived At Last

Its a Trap

Yes I’m still here to piss you off
Tom Wilson's 33pts would nearly place him in a tie for the 4th highest scoring F on the NJ Devils. That's shameful for someone but it isn't Tom Wilson. Desperate times indeed.
Would nearly place him in a tie for fourth? So not fourth but fifth on the team? Is that supposed to impress me? What point are you making here?

Reactions: schnapshot

StoneHands

Feb 26, 2013
Tom Wilson's 33pts would nearly place him in a tie for the 4th highest scoring F on the NJ Devils. That's shameful for someone but it isn't Tom Wilson. Desperate times indeed.
Lol at "nearly place him in a tie". Tom Wilson is 6th among forwards on his own team. He would be 5th if he were on the Devils. Not only was your argument irrelevant, it was actually really weak.

Ovie's Neighbor

Jan 23, 2007
Any player that makes a career for themselves in the NHL when being picked outside of the top 10 should not be considered a bust but at the same time, was there really a need to start a thread declaring that "Tom Wilson Has Arrived" when he's playing top 6 minutes and putting up 3rd line numbers? I mean, I can see if he were on pace for 20 goals and 50+ points or something but 34 points? Come on, that's just asking for it.
Oh I agree the thread title is ridiculous. But I was more replying to this notion that he was a horrible pick at 16 overall when the reality is that he is a fine pick for 16.

Dr Quincy

Jun 19, 2005
Ok, I'll discuss:

Possibly.

Also possibly a career year that becomes an outlier.

In other words, get back to me around December of next season.

StephenPeat

Jul 19, 2015
Would nearly place him in a tie for fourth? So not fourth but fifth on the team? Is that supposed to impress me? What point are you making here?
Lol at "nearly place him in a tie". Tom Wilson is 6th among forwards on his own team. He would be 5th if he were on the Devils. Not only was your argument irrelevant, it was actually really weak.
Actually I stand corrected Tom Wilson's 34 PTs place him one (1) PT behind Jesper Bratt for 4th on the Devils. In this thread Wilson is being made out to be a 3RD/4th liner but his production places him pretty solidly on the 2nd line of quite a few Potential Playoff teams including the Devils. Are Devils fans happy with the seasons Jesper Bratt and Miles Wood have had? I suppose we could just say the Devils have 3 3RD/4TH lines? Does that make you happier? Regardless, optimism tends to be where you find it. I'm happy with Wilson's season on a team and occasionally a line with star players. If anything the Devils demonstrate there are more ways to the playoffs than one, the good news is Tom Wilson can help a team get there in most of those ways. If he continues to score as much as Bratt and Wood AND brings everything else he does, it's inarguable that he's a better player and that makes him better than ~2/3 - 3/4 of the Devils F core.

Last edited:

Bladerunner

Aug 12, 2009
N VA
Nope, that’s the one.
Unless I have you mistaken, aren't you a NJ fan?
Is this thread any more absurd than the threads by your brethren that Hall should be the Hart winner? There are many worthy candidates for the Hart and I'd be surprised if Hall won it.

You seem to be particularly upset about Wilson. Did he check some Dev a bit too hard one game? I think many teams, including Jersey could use a player like Wilson. He's shown improvement when many here thought he was some bust. Most likely why the thread was created.

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
The fact that Caps fans are thrilled with their former 16th overall picks progression nearing the level of a guy like Riley Nash is a little odd. The fact that someone started a thread to brag about it is just sad.

The guy is a game changer. I don’t expect the casual fan to get it from a highlight clip or two.

Reactions: ALLCAPSALLTHETIME

Midnight Judges

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2010
Wilson has played well. He actually has some skills. Not just a helmet puncher.

Last edited:

zappa4ever

Music is the Best!
Feb 10, 2010
MD/VA/WV intersection
essentially here's the deal...

current Tom Wilson has little to do with 2013-2015 Tom Wilson

- many put him square in reckless/useless/goon territory based on his first couple years and how he was used
- the last 2 seasons he's rounded out his game a ton, draws amongst the top 3 in penalties, strong PK'er, reckless factor dialed down a ton, and has gotten some nice looking goals and assists

he's turned into a valuable asset and there's teams/players out there that change their game just b/c he's on the ice. Effective player, like it or lump it

Its a Trap

Actually I stand corrected Tom Wilson's 34 PTs place him one (1) PT behind Jesper Bratt for 4th on the Devils. In this thread Wilson is being made out to be a 3RD/4th liner but his production places him pretty solidly on the 2nd line of quite a few Potential Playoff teams including the Devils. Are Devils fans happy with the seasons Jesper Bratt and Miles Wood have had? I suppose we could just say the Devils have 3 3RD/4TH lines? Does that make you happier? Regardless, optimism tends to be where you find it. I'm happy with Wilson's season on a team and occasionally a line with star players. If anything the Devils demonstrate there are more ways to the playoffs than one, the good news is Tom Wilson can help a team get there in most of those ways. If he continues to score as much as Bratt and Wood AND brings everything else he does, it's inarguable that he's a better player and that makes him better than ~2/3 - 3/4 of the Devils F core.
Hahahaha Hahahaha hysterical that you think Tom Wilson has 34 points on the Devils playing with guys not named Ovechkin and Kuznetsov. Because he sure as shit wouldn’t be playing with Hall and Hischier.

I’m very satisfied with those third and fourth liners. They’re perfect for our system. I don’t know what they have to do with Tom Wilson’s arrival though aside from being “useful” in your “counterpoint”. Which is pretty shitty. Because it’s not impressive at all. Shit I bet Miles Wood could have 30+ points playing opposite ovechkin. Also Bratt is a 19 year old rookie so good on Wilson for not outscoring him too and somehow being more valuable.
Unless I have you mistaken, aren't you a NJ fan?
Is this thread any more absurd than the threads by your brethren that Hall should be the Hart winner? There are many worthy candidates for the Hart and I'd be surprised if Hall won it.

You seem to be particularly upset about Wilson. Did he check some Dev a bit too hard one game? I think many teams, including Jersey could use a player like Wilson. He's shown improvement when many here thought he was some bust. Most likely why the thread was created.

Oh so now we’re comparing threads about Hart trophy candidates to a thread about a third liner having 34 points? Are you just reaching for things to try and discredit my valid criticism of this threads purpose?

This thread was created when he had 20 points. Hes added a grand total of 14 to his totals. Oh my god. Stop the presses! Everyone! Tom Wilson has 34 points while playing with The best goal scorer in the league!

Has Tom Wilson offended me? He’s laid some brutal checks on Devil players, but the only reason I care one iota about him is because of this thread. And I don’t even really care about him I care about the absurdity of this thread.

And I guess to address your initial question I’ve criticized people for making repeat Hall threads over and over again. Nice try.

StephenPeat

Jul 19, 2015
The fact that Caps fans are thrilled with their former 16th overall picks progression nearing the level of a guy like Riley Nash is a little odd. The fact that someone started a thread to brag about it is just sad.

It's odd that a Devils fan is questioning the Caps draft record.
Let's review.
2012 29th Overall 1st Rd
Career High 20GP Career High 3PTs

2014 30th Overall 1st RD
Career High 12GP Career High 4PTs

2015 6th Overall 1st RD
Career High 70GP Career High 24PTs

I can see why you wouldn't start a thread to brag about the Devils recent 1st Rd picks. I mean honestly, your most recent 1st Overall only has 18 more PTs than Tom Wilson right now. And you want to talk about sad.

It is sad that your hatred for Wilson prevents you from having an objective look at the progress he's made since being drafted.

StephenPeat

Jul 19, 2015
Hahahaha Hahahaha hysterical that you think Tom Wilson has 34 points on the Devils playing with guys not named Ovechkin and Kuznetsov. Because he sure as **** wouldn’t be playing with Hall and Hischier.

I’m very satisfied with those third and fourth liners. They’re perfect for our system. I don’t know what they have to do with Tom Wilson’s arrival though aside from being “useful” in your “counterpoint”. Which is pretty ****ty. Because it’s not impressive at all. **** I bet Miles Wood could have 30+ points playing opposite ovechkin. Also Bratt is a 19 year old rookie so good on Wilson for not outscoring him too and somehow being more valuable.
Again considering the relative scoring totals of the rest of the Devils supporting cast if Wilson was a Devil perhaps you SHOULD put him with Hall and Hischier, after all he couldn't do much worse than nearly every single other player on the Devils.

Nico Hischier

Nov 22, 2017
Since when did this thread become about the njd

Not that I mind... we will take all the attention we can get

Strait2thecup

Sep 1, 2016
Still not impressed. 34 points playing with ovi and kuznetsov. Whats the big deal? Sure im a tom wilson hater but tyring to be objective I really dont see him as a solid top 6 option. He is a really good 3rd liner player at best

mja

Everything was beautiful, and nothing hurt
Jan 7, 2005
Lucy the Elephant's Belly
It's odd that a Devils fan is questioning the Caps draft record.

eL6eA.gif

Yeah, StoneHands isn't a Devils fan.

Its a Trap

Again considering the relative scoring totals of the rest of the Devils supporting cast if Wilson was a Devil perhaps you SHOULD put him with Hall and Hischier, after all he couldn't do much worse than nearly every single other player on the Devils.
I don’t know why they would considering that Kyle Palmieri, a guy who’s much, much better at hockey then Tom Wilson, plays on that line and when he doesn’t Jesper Bratt, a 19/20 year old rookie who has more points then Wilson despite being dog crap for the last 20 games and is an elite PKer in his own right, takes his place.

So, uh, why exactly would we be doin that again? Because Tom Wilson’s having a decent year finally playing with elite 1st line players?

Keep reaching.

Or wait don’t because now you’re just tossing in snide remarks about the team after realizing how terrible your argument is.

StephenPeat

Jul 19, 2015
I don’t know why they would considering that Kyle Palmieri, a guy who’s much, much better at hockey then Tom Wilson, plays on that line and when he doesn’t Jesper Bratt, a 19/20 year old rookie who has more points then Wilson despite being dog crap for the last 20 games and is an elite PKer in his own right, takes his place.

So, uh, why exactly would we be doin that again? Because Tom Wilson’s having a decent year finally playing with elite 1st line players?

Keep reaching.

Or wait don’t because now you’re just tossing in snide remarks about the team after realizing how terrible your argument is.
Point, Bratt has more point than Tom Wilson.

Also that much, much better has amounted to 8 more PTs than Wilson this season. Sure it's been an injury-riddled season for Palmieri but are we supposed to be much, much more impressed by those 8PTs?

Also I haven't "tossed in" anything. I've simply restated facts. Outside of Hischier and Hall, not many F on your team (1, in fact) have substantially more points than Wilson.

Last edited:

Its a Trap

Point, Bratt has more point than Tom Wilson.

Also that much, much better has amounted to 8 more PTs than Wilson this season. Sure it's been an injury-riddled season for Palmieri but are we supposed to be much, much more impressed by those 8PTs?
Well one guy is a 30 goal scorer with multiple 20 goal seasons and the other has a career high of 34 points so you tell me? Are you really saying Kyle Palmieri is just barely better then Wilson? Because if so I have a beautiful bridge I’d like to sell you.

Reactions: Surrounded By Ahos

StephenPeat

Jul 19, 2015
Well one guy is a 30 goal scorer with multiple 20 goal seasons and the other has a career high of 34 points so you tell me? Are you really saying Kyle Palmieri is just barely better then Wilson? Because if so I have a beautiful bridge I’d like to sell you.
Yeah that's totally the point.

third man in

Jul 27, 2007
Maryland
This is hilarious. Wilson is neither a no talent goon as he's so often referred to on here, nor is he a star. He's gotten better each season and I'm completely happy with his progress.

His defensive game is great and he's one of the Caps top penalty killers. He's one of the most physical players in the league. And 31 of his 34 points are even strength. Every single fanbase would love him on their team.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad