Tom Wilson Has Arrived At Last

Ridley Simon

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Marin County — SF Bay Area, CA
I don't think Wilson is a top-6er, I think he's a 3rd liner that just fit with guys like Ovi and Backstrom. He's a complementary kind of piece, he's a better version of Zack Kassian. I still think he's a 3rd line agitator, he's just fitting well with who he's playing with in the top-6.

Before the last 50 games, I would have agreed with you. But seeing his hand-eye coordination blossom (that goal yesterday was not an anomaly) leads me to believe he deserves top 6 time. He's fast, he can get into the right "places" to release a one timer, and he draws opponents to him...thusly creating space for his linemates. He's also showing that he can pass well too.

He's turned into a top 6 winger. And he's still young. Power forwards take longer to mature, so....we will see

hb12xchamps

Dec 23, 2011
Pennsylvania
Gallagher has 30

Whats your point?
Habs have one of the worst offense in the league
Caps have one of the strongest and Wilson continues to produce less than 15 goals
The point is Wilson has 13 even strength goals which would be third on Montreal's team. His numbers would be inflated if he were to get PP time to go along with his success at even strength and the PK.

StoneHands

Feb 26, 2013
Just wanted to give this thread a little bump.

Cherry picking players that are either having bad seasons or on the decline to pump up another player? Let's try the other side.

Players that have more ES points than Wilson while not having threads about how great they are:
Zach Hyman
Riley Nash
Michael Ferland
Andrej Kase
Ryan Spooner
Tanner Pearson
Kevin Hayes
Alex Killorn

nothingbeatshockey

May 3, 2013
Wilson is having a career year in goals, assists, points, +/-, shots and shooting percentage. He is a force on PK, which they only started using him on last year.

He is the only physical presence the Caps have and while he does draw the most PIMs, they are less reckless and idiotic than they used to be. What people don't realize, is that he's also one of the best at drawing penalties [and not just coincidental fighting majors].

He is no longer a 4th liner and I'd argue he isn't a third liner either. Even Trotz has acknowledge that Wilson is the one guy that makes whatever line he is on automatically better. He has to continue to progress for the Caps to ever make it out of that "round that shall not be named" in the playoffs.

Reactions: ALLCAPSALLTHETIME

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
Cherry picking players that are either having bad seasons or on the decline to pump up another player? Let's try the other side.

Players that have more ES points than Wilson while not having threads about how great they are:
Zach Hyman
Riley Nash
Michael Ferland
Andrej Kase
Ryan Spooner
Tanner Pearson
Kevin Hayes
Alex Killorn

I don’t see this as a negative with regards to Wilson, so sorry.

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
How foolish you look. What crow is there to eat? Are you really trying to shame people because he has 34 points and 3 in his last nine? Wow are you guys desperate for people to give him undeserved praise.

Only the people who said he was a bust at such an early age, that his development was ruined, that he’s just a thug player with no talent should be shamed or feel foolish today.

Are you in that mix somewhere? If not, move along....plenty of crow for the masses who were in those groups. If so....enjoy buddy. ;)

Its a Trap

Yes I’m still here to piss you off
Only the people who said he was a bust at such an early age, that his development was ruined, that he’s just a thug player with no talent should be shamed.

Are you in that mix somewhere? If not, move along....plenty of crow for the masses who were in those groups.
Sorry you don’t get to tell me what to do:laugh: This was a stupid thread 4 months ago and it’s an even dumber grave dig. And I’m entirely within my right to point it out as such.

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
Interesting that some will say Sid is better than Ovie because he makes his line mates better, but when it comes to discussing individual players like Tom Wilson or Nick Backstrom they're supposedly just being propped up by Oveckin. And at other times excuses will be made for Sid because his line mates don't fit, but it's assumed you can just put anyone with Oveckin.

Just kind of frames some of the "analysis".

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
Laugh at me for what exactly? Laughing at you for trying to pump up a guy who can’t even break 40 points playing in Washington’s top-6? Interesting theory.

What were your slights before “can’t break 20pts, 30pts”?

Will you keep updating your slights when he hits 50 someday? How about goals? Have you predicted he would never score 10, 20? Let’s set some markers for posterity.

Will you eventually admit he’s a pretty decent player when he hits what....20/50, or have you already eliminated the idea that you could ever admit that about Wilson? ;)

Lol...see you’re involuntarily amusing! Enjoy your day.

StoneHands

Feb 26, 2013
I don’t see this as a negative with regards to Wilson, so sorry.
The fact that Caps fans are thrilled with their former 16th overall picks progression nearing the level of a guy like Riley Nash is a little odd. The fact that someone started a thread to brag about it is just sad.

Its a Trap

Yes I’m still here to piss you off
What were your slights before “can’t break 20pts, 30pts”?

Will you keep updating your slights when he hits 50 someday? How about goals? Have you predicted he would never score 10, 20? Let’s set some markers for posterity.

Will you eventually admit he’s a pretty decent player when he hits what....20/50, or have you already eliminated the idea that you could ever admit that about Wilson? ;)

Lol...see you’re involuntarily amusing! Enjoy your day.
Keep trying man. The only one who looks foolish here is you. But really. Keep it up! Maybe one day he will hit those totals but he hasn’t so nice hypothetical argument. Anything else champ?

Also I enjoy how you make assumptions about things I’ve said about Tom Wilson when most of my thoughts about Tom Wilson are in this thread. If you’d like to educate yourself try reading it sometime. If not, don’t say people said things when they didn’t.

maacoshark

Jul 22, 2017
I think Wilson deserves his own thread. Players like him are a dying breed. He has always been tough and physical but his skating and offense play has improved drastically. Every team needs a guy like Wilson.

Ovie's Neighbor

Jan 23, 2007
The fact that Caps fans are thrilled with their former 16th overall picks progression nearing the level of a guy like Riley Nash is a little odd. The fact that someone started a thread to brag about it is just sad.
The truth is that the way Wilson is playing this year is on par with past 16th overall picks. For some reason most people on HF think that 16th overall picks are usually Tarasenkos or Barzals, but they are far more often players like Marcel Hossa or Joe Colborne. In fact, Wilson's point total this year is exactly the average point total for a 16th overall pick when you combine the past 25 picks (forwards only). So no he was not a home run at 16 overall but he is not a bust either.

Reactions: ALLCAPSALLTHETIME

StoneHands

Feb 26, 2013
The truth is that the way Wilson is playing this year is on par with past 16th overall picks. For some reason most people on HF think that 16th overall picks are usually Tarasenkos or Barzals, but they are far more often players like Marcel Hossa or Joe Colborne. In fact, Wilson's point total this year is exactly the average point total for a 16th overall pick when you combine the past 25 picks (forwards only). So no he was not a home run at 16 overall but he is not a bust either.
Any player that makes a career for themselves in the NHL when being picked outside of the top 10 should not be considered a bust but at the same time, was there really a need to start a thread declaring that "Tom Wilson Has Arrived" when he's playing top 6 minutes and putting up 3rd line numbers? I mean, I can see if he were on pace for 20 goals and 50+ points or something but 34 points? Come on, that's just asking for it.

Bladerunner

Aug 12, 2009
N VA
Any player that makes a career for themselves in the NHL when being picked outside of the top 10 should not be considered a bust but at the same time, was there really a need to start a thread declaring that "Tom Wilson Has Arrived" when he's playing top 6 minutes and putting up 3rd line numbers? I mean, I can see if he were on pace for 20 goals and 50+ points or something but 34 points? Come on, that's just asking for it.
Many "gurus" on here were treating Wilson like he was a bust and nothing but a "goon". He plays a physical game and heavy PK minutes too.
He has arrived compared to where HF trolls had him, so this thread is very appropriate :popcorn:

StephenPeat

Jul 19, 2015
How foolish you look. What crow is there to eat? Are you really trying to shame people because he has 34 points and 3 in his last nine? Wow are you guys desperate for people to give him undeserved praise.
Tom Wilson's 33pts would nearly place him in a tie for the 4th highest scoring F on the NJ Devils. That's shameful for someone but it isn't Tom Wilson. Desperate times indeed.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad