Tom Wilson Has Arrived At Last

Fatty McLardy

Oct 6, 2017
Hopefully you find the time to watch the Capitals this playoffs...

Wilson had a 3 goals in the Toronto series including a GWG in OT . He was an impact player in the 2015 playoffs, arguably our most important player in the Islanders series and completely shifted that series in our favor.

But keep peepin that stat line and pretending you watch the games.

Meh, seen enough of Caps games, bottom line is 41 games, 5 points, -8....constantly getting hemmed in the D-zone at times, not to mention putting his team on the PK quite often....he had one good series out of 3 years, good for him i guess.

But all in all, insignificant and at times a liability......don't be surprised to see him demoted to bottom 6 when scoring dries up in the playoffs.

Skrudland2Lomakin

Jan 1, 2011
Meh, seen enough of Caps games, bottom line is 41 games, 5 points, -8....constantly getting hemmed in the D-zone at times, not to mention putting his team on the PK quite often....he had one good series out of 3 years, good for him i guess.

But all in all, insignificant and at times a liability......don't be surprised to see him demoted to bottom 6 when scoring dries up in the playoffs.
Bro you literally have no idea what you're talking about, it's painful.

Tom Wilson is 12th in the NHL amongst all active players in penalties drawn per games played, he's probably one of the Caps best defensive forwards, and as it has been explained ad nauseam in this thread, he's not on the first line for scoring reasons.

You also completely disregarded the info of my post and clung to the stat line (because you clearly don't watch enough hockey, I mean why else would you actually use plus/minus as a stat?). He had two phenomenal series out of potentially 6 that he's played, that's not to say he wasn't good in the other 4, that's saying he was arguably one of the top 3 players of those two series'. Hockey is more than points.

What's it like to be this blissfully ignorant but stand and try and lecture people who literally have watched every single NHL game this guy has ever played? I can't find a single Caps fan who don't feel like the guy isn't an excellent asset and deserving of top line minutes, yet some Pens fan who has only watched Tom Wilson when the Caps played the Pens is going to tell us how it really is?

Edmonton East

BUT the ADvaNCEd STatS...
Nov 25, 2007
It's adorable some people still think he is a 1st or 2nd line talent.

I appreciate Tom Wilson though. Caps fans buy his jersey, thus allowing me to avoid having a conversation with someone I'm guaranteed to find irritating when I'm at a game or at the bar.

Again, do all 3rd liners get a mainboard thread? He's a useful player....why do certain Caps fans constantly have to talk him up as some future elite power forward?

Reactions: Fatty McLardy

TOGuy14

Dec 30, 2010
Toronto

I appreciate Tom Wilson though. Caps fans buy his jersey, thus allowing me to avoid having a conversation with someone I'm guaranteed to find irritating when I'm at a game or at the bar.

Again, do all 3rd liners get a mainboard thread? He's a useful player....why do certain Caps fans constantly have to talk him up as some future elite power forward?

Pretty much this.

Imagine how ridiculous it would to have a thread called "Zach Hyman has arrived" and fawning over a grinder level player who is on a line with a couple skill guys

mrv52

Jan 22, 2004

Based on your response in the other Devils fan in this thread I really hope that you find out next Thursday or Friday.

Fatty McLardy

Oct 6, 2017
I still lol about the time when caps fans told everyone on here how Wilson was gonna drive the penguins crazy in their series the last 2 years....but instead he became a complete non factor and on top of that, Caps were out chanced by a significant amount when he was on the ice.....

Reactions: La Masse

Bladerunner

Aug 12, 2009
N VA
I didn't respond sooner b/c at 7:30AM I was getting ready to go to this j-o-b thing.
Nice too see you get that post count up there while continuing to contribute nothing of value.
I'm not the one with my panties in a bunch over a supposed 3rd or 4th line goon :laugh:
I usually reserve that kind of attention to players like Marchand or Crosby just to use a few examples.

Sort of like the caps franchise over the past, what is it, 50 years now without winning anything of value? See you in the third round. Oh wait...
Sheesh you must have flunked elementary school arithmetic - Caps haven't been around for "50 years now" :facepalm: Maybe you're thinking of the Leafs? You think nj is getting to the 3rd round? :loony: Place your bets, you'll get some good, looong odds.

I wouldn't exactly consider you the logical type, here's some value for you. Current chances are > 50% jersey opens vs Caps.
Or they could try to get wc1 and get eliminated by Bs or Bolts.
Hint - you should hope devils playoff death is vs Bolts, Bs and Caps have some mean players that might hit (mvp???) Taylor too darn hard !
Cheers :snide:

Reactions: third man in

Skrudland2Lomakin

Jan 1, 2011
I still lol about the time when caps fans told everyone on here how Wilson was gonna drive the penguins crazy in their series the last 2 years....but instead he became a complete non factor and on top of that, Caps were out chanced by a significant amount when he was on the ice.....
You posting in this thread and trying to actively keep up the ruse you know what you're talking about without acknowledging the several posts that destroyed you.
dodge.gif

You're just making stuff up and throwing it against the wall at this point.

"Caps were out chanced a significant amount when he was on the ice"

Do you have some data to support this claim? It's pretty easily verifiable or is this yet another "stat" you just made up.

Fatty McLardy

Oct 6, 2017
You posting in this thread and trying to actively keep up the ruse you know what you're talking about without acknowledging the several posts that destroyed you.
dodge.gif

You're just making stuff up and throwing it against the wall at this point.

"Caps were out chanced a significant amount when he was on the ice"

Do you have some data to support this claim? It's pretty easily verifiable or is this yet another "stat" you just made up.

not gonna lie, that gif legit made me lol, but seriously, I'm just breaking balls....

Just raining on caps fans wilson parade, i am however right about the fact that when Pens played the caps 2 years ago, all we heard from caps fans was how Wilson was gonna abuse our smaller players but he was a complete non factor.

Skrudland2Lomakin

Jan 1, 2011
The caps could have had filip forsberg and tomas hertl on their roster today instead of Tom Wilson. LMAO
This type of revision doesn't work though.

1. If you add Forsberg and Hertl to the Caps team it looks nothing like it does today. TJ Oshie is likely never signed, the Caps run into all sorts of salary cap trouble and likely are not able to hold on to someone major like Kuznetsov. It's just a fools errand to try and act like there is a one-to-one transfer of this team with other players on it from from a draft 6 years ago.

2. Once again the NHL is not NHL 18. Hertl and Forsberg are great players in their own right, but at what point do they begin to develop redundancies for the Caps lineup? Hertl is a top 6 forward, Forsberg is a top 6 forward, they both play a finesse style game. Tom Wilson fulfills a very different style of power forward play that has proved to be extremely useful to the Caps and something they do not have lot of.

3. You could literally sit and pick apart every single team in the NHL 6 years after a draft and be like "Wow look at the team they could have had because the guys drafted behind this guy." I find this whole concept hilarious when people pull the "what a waste of a first" and you look at that draft and realize there are only two players who have made an ASG taken before Wilson (one of them being the other Caps pick) but somehow the Caps, who have this guy on their first line are the ones who squandered a first round pick and certainly not anyone else. I mean who can forget the career Derrick Pouliot(#8) has put together or Griffin Reinhart (#4). If you want to go back and actually look at the 2012 draft you'll find that Wilson is actually quite well drafted considering the players around him, before him, and after him. The myth that he was a waste of first ignores that this draft was filled with a lot of middle of the road talent. In the 6 years since that draft only 4 guys taken have made a single all star game.

Skrudland2Lomakin

Jan 1, 2011
not gonna lie, that gif legit made me lol, but seriously, I'm just breaking balls....

Just raining on caps fans wilson parade, i am however right about the fact that when Pens played the caps 2 years ago, all we heard from caps fans was how Wilson was gonna abuse our smaller players but he was a complete non factor.
I can't speak to this because I don't know if it is true or not. I know many fans myself included certainly felt like we were mismatched with speed last year and the year before and felt that our heavy style was probably our only chance at beating the Pens. I don't think that this was specifically placed at Wilson's feet, nor do I think any Caps fan worth his salt is actually going to enter a series with the Pens talking trash about how ANY player is going to own them. I think our reliance on the heavy game strategy was just and admission that it was our only shot to win against a smaller and faster team.

Its a Trap

Yes I’m still here to piss you off
I didn't respond sooner b/c at 7:30AM I was getting ready to go to this j-o-b thing.
I'm not the one with my panties in a bunch over a supposed 3rd or 4th line goon :laugh:
I usually reserve that kind of attention to players like Marchand or Crosby just to use a few examples.

Sheesh you must have flunked elementary school arithmetic - Caps haven't been around for "50 years now" :facepalm: Maybe you're thinking of the Leafs? You think nj is getting to the 3rd round? :loony: Place your bets, you'll get some good, looong odds.

I wouldn't exactly consider you the logical type, here's some value for you. Current chances are > 50% jersey opens vs Caps.
Or they could try to get wc1 and get eliminated by Bs or Bolts.
Hint - you should hope devils playoff death is vs Bolts, Bs and Caps have some mean players that might hit (mvp???) Taylor too darn hard !
Cheers :snide:
safe_image.php

Blah blah blah blah blah blah blah

Fatty McLardy

Oct 6, 2017
safe_image.php

Blah blah blah blah blah blah blah

half of Bladerunners posts are crying about refs and he has the balls to call someone illogical...classic!

But i guess you have to point blame at something when their Russians can't get it done in the playoffs..

Its a Trap

Yes I’m still here to piss you off
half of Bladerunners posts are crying about refs and he has the balls to call someone illogical...classic!

But i guess you have to point blame at something when their Russians can't get it done in the playoffs..
Whatever. He can run his mouth all he wants. The funny thing was I simply said see you in the third round and he interpreted it as me saying the devils will see them there despite it being highly improbable that we’d be in the Atlantic bracket and go off on a tangent about it. Solid misread by him and it makes him look all the more ridiculous.

TOGuy14

Dec 30, 2010
Toronto
Pretty much this.

Imagine how ridiculous it would to have a thread called "Zach Hyman has arrived" and fawning over a grinder level player who is on a line with a couple skill guys

The original post is literally "Love the coach, but man he falls in love with these scrubs." and the rest of it is everyone saying the dude has a good motor but absolutely abysmal at everything else / making fun of the idea.

Caps fans here seem to legitimately think that this plug is a vital part of someone like OV succeeding.

Midnight Judges

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2010

I don't think any Caps fan used the word "elite." The fact that you felt the need to exaggerate is telling. I think they call that a straw man or something.

I was actually a Wilson hater for years. I am a Caps fan. He was too fixated on face punching and he was dirty and reckless at times - boarding and charging especially. Otherwise taking dumb penalties at inopportune times.

These past two seasons he has developed his game. He's passing the puck well, and he actually has a decent shot. He plays very good defense and is contributing on the PK. His agitating is more purposeful and controlled: Trotz is clearly picking the moments. He's still physical but less reckless. Tom Wilson has successfully graduated from goon to power forward.

If you are not a Caps fan, it is no surprise that you have not seen the evolution as we have. You regard him as a reckless dirty goon, and that is based on truth, if outdated.

You will be surprised when he scores ~17 goals/45 points next season - almost all at even strength. Caps fans will not be.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad