Tom Wilson dirty hit (Suspension incoming?)

Status
Not open for further replies.

StoneHands

Feb 26, 2013
Backes is a top 6F, IMO. Ryan was...not sure anymore.

192nd in p/game for a guy with no PP time?
I can assure you that the other guys in the 190 range weren't getting tons of PP time either. We're talking about other gusy who scored 30-35 points last year. Those aren't guys playing 3+ minutes on the PP. They also weren't playing with a superstar center for 75% of their ES TOI. Hell, Wilson played 63% of his ES TOI with Backstrom/Kuznetsov AND Ovechkin. Almost anyone in the NHL can put up 30+ points playing with those guys.

Reactions: Riptide

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015
He is trying to hit the guy but he isn't intentionally trying to hit him in the head. He is just so reckless he doesnt seem to know where he is going to hit him.
Have you never played any sports before? When I played guys had reputations. Some guys you knew where a bit dirty. Those guys were a nuisance to play against. Then there was the reckless guys like Wilson. It was scary playing against guys like that. I always hated playing against players that were out of control.
this is not the convincing defense that you seem to think it is. if Wilson can't stop hitting players in the head, he shouldn't be playing

ZeroPucksGiven

Feb 28, 2017
Actually it isn't good on Sid. Crosby is actually a dirtier player than Wilson is so he has no business saying anything. Crosby's dirty plays are all intentional.
I wouldnt call Wilson a dirty player. His bad hits aren't intentional. Wilson's problem is that he totally out of control on the ice. He is like a bull in a China shop. He might be the most dangerous player in the NHL. He has to tone it down.
I am a Caps fan and I have tried to defend him. I love his energy and physical play but he has to get these types of hits out of his game.
I expect he will get in the neighborhood of 10 games and I agree he should.

This board truly does have THE hottest takes
Well done internet... We definitely are inclusive of EVERYONE aren't we?

Cellee

Dec 20, 2014
History? Historically, there much more car accidents than plane crashes, that u might think that airplanes are safer. But it's not. There is much less air planes than the cars so % of ppl diying is much higher. With amount of hits Wilson delivers, % of hits to the heads is pretty low, which is surprising when u consider his speed.

This whole post is just a train wreck.

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
Wilson was 173rd for all forwards in points. 31 teams x 6 = 186. it is what it is

Well 174th actually. But then there's also the fact that the player at 179th also had the same amount of points as Wilson. And it's not taking into account any of the players right below him who didn't play 79+ games.

You go with players who had .40 PPG (Wilson was at 0.45), and who played 50+ games, and Wilson is 187. The only two players right there with him 186 & 188 is Grabner and Burakovsky.

ZeroPucksGiven

Feb 28, 2017
wow, this is some ridiculous mental gymnastics to avoid calling Wilson dirty. Of course his hits are intentional, that's why they keep happening over and over

NHL players should really stop having their heads inconveniently located atop their shoulders. I mean poor Tom Wilson can't seem to stop hitting them right there, every single time
That poor poor, man. We should really start a Gofundme for his illegitimate persecution!

Reactions: Cellee

maacoshark

Jul 22, 2017
this is not the convincing defense that you seem to think it is. if Wilson can't stop hitting players in the head, he shouldn't be playing
And I agree with that. Do you think I am condoning Wilson's actions? In already said he is the most dangerous player in the league.

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
Can you prove his checks to the head are intentional? Or it's your opinion?

If this was a one of occurrence, you'd have a leg to stand on. However it's happened far too often for this not to be intentional. Any way you look at it, he's either intentionally hitting players high (as he repeatedly and unnecessarly launches himself upwards, despite being 6-4 already), or he's intentionally playing so reckless that he doesn't have control over his body, which boils down to the same thing.

But seeing how we're talking about his (soon to be) 4th suspension in the last 53 weeks (12 mths+1 week), there's no way this isn't intentional on his part.

swimmer77

More PIM's than Points
Jun 22, 2010
in water
Even as a Caps' fan I can't defend this guy. Never could. Just not my brand of "hitting". I wish there would be a better solution for Washington than Tom Wilson. As time moves forward, I wouldn't be surprised to see an opposing "goon" from another team KO a Caps player.

I wonder what Wilson would do in the All Star Game. Think I'll start a "write-in" vote.

shtorm2005

Aug 9, 2015
Montreal, Canada
And I agree with that. Do you think I am condoning Wilson's actions? In already said he is the most dangerous player in the league.
You're talking to the deaf ears. Agendas are open and can't be closed. Most of the Caps fans are condemned the hit, but these haters just can't stop. "Dirtiest in the universe" / "He wanted to hit him to the head" "3rd line player" "Matt Cooke" lol

Its a Trap

Yes I’m still here to piss you off
History? Historically, there much more car accidents than plane crashes, that u might think that airplanes are safer. But it's not. There is much less air planes than the cars so % of ppl diying is much higher. With amount of hits Wilson delivers, % of hits to the heads is pretty low, which is surprising when u consider his speed.

What the hell did I just read? This is completely untrue in every single way imaginable.
Yea...but you're coming off as if it's something Wilson can't control because "that's who he is" and that's not that great a way to sound.

Last edited by a moderator:

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
He is trying to hit the guy but he isn't intentionally trying to hit him in the head. He is just so reckless he doesnt seem to know where he is going to hit him.
Have you never played any sports before? When I played guys had reputations. Some guys you knew where a bit dirty. Those guys were a nuisance to play against. Then there was the reckless guys like Wilson. It was scary playing against guys like that. I always hated playing against players that were out of control.

And that's a play he's intentionally making. One chooses whether to be reckless or not. I get that he might not be intending to hit the guy in the head, and just wants to murder him instead with a brutal check... but again, his hits are happening way too frequently not to be by design. Open ice hits like that happen at least every few games (if not more frequently)... and most of those hits are not suspension worthy, so it's clear that other players have found a way to make those hits and not be suspended. If they can, Wilson should be able to, and if he doesn't, that's by his own choice.

shtorm2005

Aug 9, 2015
Montreal, Canada
If this was a one of occurrence, you'd have a leg to stand on. However it's happened far too often for this not to be intentional. Any way you look at it, he's either intentionally hitting players high (as he repeatedly and unnecessarly launches himself upwards, despite being 6-4 already), or he's intentionally playing so reckless that he doesn't have control over his body, which boils down to the same thing.

But seeing how we're talking about his (soon to be) 4th suspension in the last 53 weeks (12 mths+1 week), there's no way this isn't intentional on his part.
The problem is that you don't count number of clean hits. If he wants to hit the head intentionnaly, it would occur much more often if u consider how much he hits per game. I belive at this speed these incidents will occur sometimes. He should learn better how to hit.

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015
talking about plane crashes sure is a unique way of defending Wilson, but it's really not a good one

Reactions: egelband

Lemieuxs

Nov 23, 2013
The league could justifiably suspend him 40+ games and accomplish two things in one decision. 1, they could make a statement for the entire upcoming season that it is serious about head shots, and 2, it could send a message that hopefully gets heard this time to Wilson.

Its a Trap

Yes I’m still here to piss you off
The problem is that you don't count number of clean hits. If he wants to hit the head intentionnaly, it would occur much more often if u consider how much he hits per game. I belive at this speed these incidents will occur sometimes. He should learn better how to hit.
Nobody cares about his clean hits. There's nothing wrong with a clean check. During this past years playoffs he had four incidents investigated by the DoPS one of them resulting in his 3 game suspension. That was in a 2 month span. 4 times in 8 weeks, 3 of them in the first 2 rounds! Including the Playoffs and preseason he was suspended 3 times last year and had 3 other hits examined by the league. And you just think he needs to learn how to hit better? I think you need to stick to your terrible travelling metaphors.

shtorm2005

Aug 9, 2015
Montreal, Canada
talking about plane crashes sure is a unique way of defending Wilson, but it's really not a good one
It's just an example. Number of incidents is a relative number. All depends how often these situation occur. If you didn't like this one, I can find another one that is closer to the topic. Look at Ovy vs Laine shooting %. One shoots everytime he has a chance, another one waits for a better chance. It doesn't mean Laine is a better shooter.

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
So you disagree that Wilson is the most dangerous player in the league and that he shouldn't get 10 games?
Oh maybe you are coming to the defense of Crybaby Crosby. I'm sorry but he is on of the dirtiest players in the league. Slashing, spearing and slewfooting are his specialties. And they are all premeditated. They aren't accidental.

And AO is one of the dirtiest players in the league as well.

So what?

Tons of great players were borderline dirtballs.

Wilson is in a different more malicious category, he’s simply a predator and a POS. He’s not some tough guy, just a straight out lowlife looking to maim other players.

Four suspensions in a year is mind boggling and indefensible.

StoneHands

Feb 26, 2013
Ryan Callahan has 2,093 hits in his career and Troy Brouwer has 1,846 hits in his career. That's almost 4,000 hits and I cannot remember either of them ever being suspended. Tom Wilson has 1,144 hits in his career and he's missed how many games due to suspension? Missing a game for every 100 hits you throw isn't exactly a good ratio.

puckpilot

Oct 23, 2016
2LEY.gif

tenor.gif

ZeroPucksGiven

Feb 28, 2017
Wilson isn't a player known for his stick work. He flies around trying to hit everything in sight. He is completely reckless when he is going for a hit.

You're right, he's a player known for his headshots and has been suspended 4 times for it
But please continue on with your deflection...

Reactions: Riptide

swimmer77

More PIM's than Points
Jun 22, 2010
in water
It's just an example. Number of incidents is a relative number. All depends how often these situation occur. If you didn't like this one, I can find another one that is closer to the topic. Look at Ovy vs Laine shooting %. One shoots everytime he has a chance, another one waits for a better chance. It doesn't mean Laine is a better shooter.

Okay. So for every X number of times Tom Wilson makes a clean hit, he should be allowed X number of dirty hits? That's a different way of looking at it.

Reactions: BillPrep
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Rennes vs Brest
    Rennes vs Brest
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $61.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Mainz vs FC Köln