Tom Wilson dirty hit (Suspension incoming?)

Status
Not open for further replies.

maacoshark

Jul 22, 2017
Ryan Callahan has 2,093 hits in his career and Troy Brouwer has 1,846 hits in his career. That's almost 4,000 hits and I cannot remember either of them ever being suspended. Tom Wilson has 1,144 hits in his career and he's missed how many games due to suspension? Missing a game for every 100 hits you throw isn't exactly a good ratio.
There is a difference between a Tom Wilson hit and a hit from other players around the league. Wilson is like a runaway freight train. Most guys are in some kind of control when they hit someone. Wilson isn't.

kmart

Jan 23, 2008
as a caps fan i must say this is the dirtiest hit i ever saw from wilson... i dont know what he thought... maybe he thinks now that he got his raise he needs to justify it with even more violence... in preseason no less. i wont even argue if its a headshot or not... the player was in a very defenseless position and if he hits him there, it needs to be a bit lower/aimed for the chest - a body to body hit. anything that looks close to a drive by elbow gets him suspended, he must know that by know, i guess i am fine with 5-10 games.

Ms Maggie

Apr 11, 2017
History? Historically, there much more car accidents than plane crashes, that u might think that airplanes are safer. But it's not. There is much less air planes than the cars so % of ppl diying is much higher. With amount of hits Wilson delivers, % of hits to the heads is pretty low, which is surprising when u consider his speed.
Airplanes much safer than cars. Not even close.

Carry on.

Which Is Safer: Airplanes or Cars?

StoneHands

Feb 26, 2013
There is a difference between a Tom Wilson hit and a hit from other players around the league. Wilson is like a runaway freight train. Most guys are in some kind of control when they hit someone. Wilson isn't.
Yeah, that was kind of the point of the post. Just because someone throws a lot of hits doesn't mean that occasionally they are going to be suspendable as he suggested.

NeverBeNormal

Mar 27, 2007
Hilarious that ex players have the nerve to blame the NHL after they're finished beating each other's brains in. It's gonna be even funnier when the suspension comes down and the PA appeals the outcome so this neanderthal can get back out there quicker and dole out more brain damage to his Union Brothers.

Ugene Magic

EVIL LAUGH
Oct 17, 2008
Pittsburgh
And AO is one of the dirtiest players in the league as well.

So what?

Tons of great players were borderline dirtballs.

Wilson is in a different more malicious category, he’s simply a predator and a POS. He’s not some tough guy, just a straight out lowlife looking to maim other players.

Four suspensions in a year is mind boggling and indefensible.

It should have been closer to 7/8 like double that 4 he got. If he can't run around like he does he's a useless player and probably why he said he wouldn't change how he plays.

Throw 25 games at him and maybe a lightbulb will come on. Doubt it.

Reactions: Riptide

IceNeophyte

Nov 14, 2017
History? Historically, there much more car accidents than plane crashes, that u might think that airplanes are safer. But it's not. There is much less air planes than the cars so % of ppl diying is much higher. With amount of hits Wilson delivers, % of hits to the heads is pretty low, which is surprising when u consider his speed.

I have to applaud someone who uses airline safety records to rationalize a dirty and dangerous hit.

Habby Gilmore

Dec 2, 2013
Halifax
What ever happened to “keep your head up”? I get that it was a dirty hit from Wilson by today’s standards. But in all honesty how do you cleanly hit a player now a days when he’s in that position? Hip checks are too low now, regular hit would hit the head of a player who just took a shot as his head was lowered. So how do you hit him cleanly in that situation? Can players just put there head down now and cut to the slot unimpeded? Are defenders just not supposed to hit the player in that situation now?

Reactions: Catch22

EroCaps

Aug 24, 2003
Virginia
Umm, no idea why Tom Wilson is still dolling out headshots; and in a pre-season game.

At this point I want the league to give him 10-15 games so this shit doesn't happen in the playoffs, or down the stretch.

And so he doesn't kill someone.

Reactions: Art of Sedinery

Ridley Simon

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Marin County — SF Bay Area, CA
NHL.com - Stats

This isn't tough information to find. Regardless, putting up numbers similar to other 3rd liners or low end 2nd liners while playing 75% of the game with either Backstrom or Kuznetsov is not impressive.

You keep using the centers he played with, while dismissing no PP time. They somewhat cancel each other out.

What are his ES PPG rankings? That site doesnt show it.

Other than Grabner, Fast, Gibbons, etc....everyone else has some PP points. Some significant.

Edit-- Zach Hyman is a good example. He's .04 more pts game. He played w Mathews, Marner, or Nylander almost all season long. He's top 6, but Wilson isnt?

Cellee

Dec 20, 2014
What ever happened to “keep your head up”? I get that it was a dirty hit from Wilson by today’s standards. But in all honesty how do you cleanly hit a player now a days when he’s in that position? Hip checks are too low now, regular hit would hit the head of a player who just took a shot as his head was lowered. So how do you hit him cleanly in that situation? Can players just put there head down now and cut to the slot unimpeded? Are defenders just not supposed to hit the player in that situation now?
Well, for :

1. Don't blindside.

2. Don't hit high.

3. Don't accelerate and launch yourself.

4. All else fails you could play the puck as you know he doesn't see you and has nowhere to go anyway.

Reactions: Riptide

Habby Gilmore

Dec 2, 2013
Halifax
Well, for :

1. Don't blindside.

2. Don't hit high.

3. Don't accelerate and launch yourself.

4. All else fails you could play the puck as you know he doesn't see you and has nowhere to go anyway.

The blind side one is the one I don’t get, so basically a player can look down at the puck and now no matter how you hit him it’s a blind side hit. How does that work?

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
Riptide stated 186. Why are the numbers different?

Pretty sure I said 187, and was tied with Grabner at 186 and Bura at 188. But any difference would be due to filtering. I put in a games played filter of 50 games as I wanted to eliminate smaller sample sizes. If you remove that games played filter, he falls to 212. However that also gives you 15+ players who played less than 20 or so games, and many of those played less than 10 games.

There's the link, feel free to play around with it.

NHL.com - Stats

Its a Trap

Yes I’m still here to piss you off
Sundqvist is 6'3". Even in a shooting position with his head bent over there's plenty of room to catch him square in the chest or to come from the side and go shoulder to shoulder. He came from the side. He didn't get the shoulder. What do you want? A return to the 80s and 90s where anything goes?

Its a Trap

Yes I’m still here to piss you off
The blind side one is the one I don’t get, so basically a player can look down at the puck and now no matter how you hit him it’s a blind side hit. How does that work?
You can not be looking at the puck and looking in front of you or in the opposite direction and find yourself blindsided. You don't get blindsided only when you're puck watching. This really isn't a hard concept.

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
Can we update the thread title with the hearing date (Wednesday)? Not really a lot of useful discussion will happen between now and then.

Habby Gilmore

Dec 2, 2013
Halifax
Sundqvist is 6'3". Even in a shooting position with his head bent over there's plenty of room to catch him square in the chest or to come from the side and go shoulder to shoulder. He came from the side. He didn't get the shoulder. What do you want? A return to the 80s and 90s where anything goes?

I just want at some accountability to the player for putting himself in such a prime position is all, it’s all on the hitter now days and no one in the guy who puts hit head down cutting into the slot, or skating into a corner after the puck facing the boards. I’m not trying to say the hit aren’t dirty or that they shouldn’t be removed because they totally should. But players need to be more aware too, they put themselves is so much more dengerous positions now then in the past I find.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Cádiz vs Mallorca
    Cádiz vs Mallorca
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $340.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Bologna vs Udinese
    Bologna vs Udinese