Confirmed with Link: Tom Fitzgerald named New Jersey Assistant GM

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
The thing is that usually even AGMs don't have a heck of a lot of pull. Usually they handle the AHL affiliate and minor depth signings. They probably have various amounts of input to the head GM, but they aren't swinging trades by themselves. So whomever is under Botterill should have little to no say in major roster decisions.

based on the amount we hear from and about the AGMs, and on JRs comments about the Despres trade, that's pretty clearly not the case with us for some reason.

plaidchuck

Feb 26, 2013
Pittsburgh
based on the amount we hear from and about the AGMs, and on JRs comments about the Despres trade, that's pretty clearly not the case with us for some reason.

I personally have never bought this. I think at the end of day outside of ownership rutherford has had the last word on everything.

Either way with fitzgerald leaving that makes Botteril heir apparent to be gm. Question is did they tell this to fitzgerald and he left, or has this been something brewing for a while.

Gotta admit though, as much as they sucked at the end guys like shero, bylsma, and reirden sure do command loyalty.

Last edited:

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
I personally have never bought this. I think at the end of day outside of ownership rutherford has had the last word on everything.

Either way with fitzgerald leaving that makes Botteril heir apparent to be gm. Question is did they tell this to fitzgerald and he left, or has this been something brewing for a while.

Gotta admit though, as much as they sucked at the end guys like shero, bylsma, and reirden sure do command loyalty.

Sure, but I'm not convinced ownership stays out of things. And I'm certainly not convinced that ownership will side with JR over the other GMs.

canadianguy77

Apr 20, 2006
This is true.

I have a hard time imagining that. The guy is a throwback to an earlier era. Players like "Craig" don't last more than a few years anymore.

The majority of players who have staying power in the league have legit talent. I can't see them wanting a guy like Adams representing them.

Burgs

Sep 10, 2005
I have a hard time imagining that. The guy is a throwback to an earlier era. Players like "Craig" don't last more than a few years anymore.

The majority of players who have staying power in the league have legit talent. I can't see them wanting a guy like Adams representing them.

IIRC Adams was the Penguins NHLPA rep ever since Max Talbot had left.

hooverdam

Feb 21, 2013
Morehouse is a Burkle guy, I doubt Shero has any attachment to him or vice versa. And he's not a hockey guy, so I think if he's not working for the Penguins, he's not working for anyone in the NHL.

If Morehouse goes, I see a few other things preceding it: the sale of the team, perhaps Botterill (or someone totally new like Brisebois or they can convince Brisson) replacing JR, and possibly Guerin gone too. And I'll say this, there's been a considerable amount of smoke suggesting that Morehouse and Botterill don't get along, so I don't really see a scenario where Botterill becomes GM and Morehouse is still here.

Sam Spade

May 4, 2009
Maryland
Why would anyone want to leave the Pens organization for the Devils? Unless Fitz really thought he had no future here I just don't get it.

BrunoPuntzJones

Biscuit Scorer
Apr 17, 2012
Washington, DC
Adams mug was all over the place during the last lockout I believe.

Yep. This classic dates from that time. As I recall he was reported to be one of the key guys on the union side.

Du9QaLD.jpg

I doubt the players give a single **** about a guy's talent when it comes to NHLPA stuff. Adams is a guy who only had a hockey career of any sort because he's smart and works his ass off. They'd probably put him across the table from Bill Daly over a guy like Patrick Kane 100% of the time.

Zen Arcade

Bigger than Kiss
Sep 21, 2004
Pittsburgh
Yep. This classic dates from that time. As I recall he was reported to be one of the key guys on the union side.

Du9QaLD.jpg

I doubt the players give a single **** about a guy's talent when it comes to NHLPA stuff. Adams is a guy who only had a hockey career of any sort because he's smart and works his ass off. They'd probably put him across the table from Bill Daly over a guy like Patrick Kane 100% of the time.

I don't know, if Kane's willing to get violent over a few cents imagine what he'd do with millions of dollars on the line.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
It's been a day, not even remotely sad about this.

I feel like this is going to be more along the lines of...good riddance, good luck.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
I don't know, if Kane's willing to get violent over a few cents imagine what he'd do with millions of dollars on the line.

Patrick Kane, immense talent, but he's the furthest from being any kind of smart outside the sport. He comes off as a dumb ass kid that got lucky by being drafted by the right team coached by the right man with the perfect defenseman being the MVP of the team for all 3 cups.

Adams as a person might suck, but he's not a dumb person by any means. He'd probably excel in a NHLPA role.

I'm sure it's been mentioned already, but he is a freakin' Harvard Grad.

Darth Vitale

Dark Matter
Aug 21, 2003
Darkness
Is there any way that we can somehow convince the Devils to take Morehouse off of our hands, now?

:laugh: would be a helluva gift for everyone here, but I don't think those two chaps are friends.

I wish someone would take Morehouse, Guerin, most of our scouts, etc...take them all. Please.

Now OTOH, Guerin, maybe Adams. . . I could see both of those guys working for Rayjean. I'm waiting for Buffalo to go on a 15 game losing streak so Shero can trade a draft pick to the Sabres to get Bylsma back. If things don't go well in Buffalo I would not be even sort of suprised to see Bylsma in NJ as an assistant coach. Waiting. . . biding his time. Sherlysma will live again. It's like a toenail fungus; you can never fully get rid of it.

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
Why would anyone want to leave the Pens organization for the Devils? Unless Fitz really thought he had no future here I just don't get it.

He goes from 3rd in command to 2nd, so its basically a promotion.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad