Confirmed with Link: Tom Fitzgerald named New Jersey Assistant GM

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
True...but I don't think they had another assistant GM there...so he'd be doing all the assistant GM work there anyways.

In comparison to Pittsburgh, we have 2 other people to do the assistant GM work.

In Pittsburgh, we had 3 people do that damn job for whatever reason, why? Because this franchise is "special."

Ideally, you want JR and Botterill, with another competent person there. Ideally. But this team has a meddling person with Morehouse and then Guerin as his cohort, I hope when Botterill gets the job, he hires his own ASGM and Morehouse is gone, Guerin can just follow his buddies to the swamp-ass that is NJ.

Asuna

Lvl 94 Sub-Leader
Apr 27, 2014
Pittsburgh
In Pittsburgh, we had 3 people do that damn job for whatever reason, why? Because this franchise is "special."

Ideally, you want JR and Botterill, with another competent person there. Ideally. But this team has a meddling person with Morehouse and then Guerin as his cohort, I hope when Botterill gets the job, he hires his own ASGM and Morehouse is gone, Guerin can just follow his buddies to the swamp-ass that is NJ.

Ya...the whole setup is pretty odd. I guess Rutherford wanted to give everyone similar roles for the experience...something like that.

If they won't give Botterill the GM job eventually, I'd like to see them go with a President of Hockey Operations - General Manager - Assistant GM - lesser person who has potential, management structure.

66-30-33

Jan 24, 2006
Victoria, BC
Knowing what assets Rutherford is willing to give up, if Fitz believes these players still have value, I wouldn't be surprised to see Shero try to swing a trade to get them. Bennett and Sutter come to mind... not sure about Kunitz & Scuderi though.

Sutter, Kunitz, Scuderi to NJ i like and clears nearly 10M we can use for Fehr and then the TD. They can take Guerin and Morehouse aswell. How long do we have JR as GM here? 2 more years?

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
Ya...the whole setup is pretty odd. I guess Rutherford wanted to give everyone similar roles for the experience...something like that.

If they won't give Botterill the GM job eventually, I'd like to see them go with a President of Hockey Operations - General Manager - Assistant GM - lesser person who has potential, management structure.

You mean Morehouse did.

I'm sure JR even thought that was rather odd. All JR mentioned when he came on board was that he was coming in for a short period of time and then it's JB's team.

Asuna

Lvl 94 Sub-Leader
Apr 27, 2014
Pittsburgh
You mean Morehouse did.

I'm sure JR even thought that was rather odd. All JR mentioned when he came on board was that he was coming in for a short period of time and then it's JB's team.

Seems that plan has changed a bit now. Judging from Rutherford's comments at the end of the year presser, he may be here a bit longer.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
Seems that plan has changed a bit now. Judging from Rutherford's comments at the end of the year presser, he may be here a bit longer.

Likely due to the idiocy if this team's entire management structure.

Morehouse can't stay out of hockey affairs if his life depended on it. Guerin is a guy JR just changed roles wise. I think it would be unfair to give JB the role after the mess Shero left, JR added a lot of solid pieces, yeah he also gave up some picks, but when JB is to take over, he'll have all of his picks, Sid, Geno, MAF, Kessel, Letang, etc as his core. He takes over a solid team for the most part.

Could you imagine Botterill taking over right after Shero left? Yikes, poor *******.

I think at most, JR is here for this upcoming season and one more and that is it. Which is fair, that's 3yrs and then out. Maybe sooner if the Pens win it all this year, he'll likely just say job well done, off I go to warm cookies and chinese food.

Asuna

Lvl 94 Sub-Leader
Apr 27, 2014
Pittsburgh
I think at most, JR is here for this upcoming season and one more and that is it. Which is fair, that's 3yrs and then out. Maybe sooner if the Pens win it all this year, he'll likely just say job well done, off I go to warm cookies and chinese food.

I hope so. I'm interested to see how Botterill does on his own.

WayneSid9987

Nov 24, 2009
It is odd, i agree, that he was front and center during development camp last week and i'll add his scouring of the Worlds this year for possible talents to add(Plots and Simon).
Perhaps his last good deeds before he moved on or maybe this really was a last minute thing after Lou jumped ship to TO.

At this point, i'd just like to know what all the heated discussion was about at the draft after it ended.

Asuna

Lvl 94 Sub-Leader
Apr 27, 2014
Pittsburgh
It is odd, i agree, that he was front and center during development camp last week and i'll add his scouring of the Worlds this year for possible talents to add(Plots and Simon).
Perhaps his last good deeds before he moved on or maybe this really was a last minute thing after Lou jumped ship to TO.

At this point, i'd just like to know what all the heated discussion was about at the draft after it ended.

I saw a tweet that said the deal between Fitz and NJ was done before Lou went to Toronto. That makes it more odd imo.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
I'll love the news when it's also announced that the Devils have acquired Scuderi and Kunitz, on the strong recommendation of newly hired Fitzgerald, for something of value.

Until then, it's kind of meh, so what. We've still got too many stooges running this club anyway.

Asuna

Lvl 94 Sub-Leader
Apr 27, 2014
Pittsburgh
Guys don't you see? The're making room for Adams :cry:

Sorry... I'll go back to lurking now :D

As much as everyone hates Adams...I do wonder how he'd do in a management role. He's a smart guy.

But he should go to another org for that opportunity, he'd just be another Guerin here.

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
As much as everyone hates Adams...I do wonder how he'd do in a management role. He's a smart guy.

But he should go to another org for that opportunity, he'd just be another Guerin here.

no doubt in my mind he would overvalue guys like himself. At least at first.

SHOOTANDSCORE

Eeny Meeny Miny Moe
Sep 25, 2005
This is definitely strange. I wonder how long ago they had permission to talk.

IC said one of them would be moving on, but there's no way his source could have seen this playing out.

mpp9

Dec 5, 2010
The guy was part of not developing a single legit top 9 forward in half a decade. I'm all in favor of getting away from the Shero regime.

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
yeah I wish we'd have done more cleaning out of that level of management when Shero left. I really don't like how many guys we have making decisions. Too many cooks.

SHOOTANDSCORE

Eeny Meeny Miny Moe
Sep 25, 2005
The thing that worries me is that Guerin has that much more pull. I wonder if he will jump into Fitzgerald's assignment.

I almost forgot about the 'routine' JR Fitzie spat on the draft floor.

JTG

Sep 30, 2007
I like Bill Guerin being as close to the players as possible. That's where I think his benefit comes. I'm not sure Botterill is the answer. I am also curious as to how the decisions last year broke down as to who was making them. Reports swirled around that JR sort of did his own thing without much consultation. My thing is, if you are a "cap expert" and you botch the cap the way we did last year, you are no longer a "cap expert."

I don't know enough about NHL front office personnel to even comment who I would rather see.

billybudd

Feb 1, 2012

If there's a new majority owner, Morehouse will be outbound within a year of finalizing the sale. Owners want their own people working directly under them.

billybudd

Feb 1, 2012

Adams has players' association written all over him. When he resurfaces, if he resurfaces, it will be in Don Fehr's office.

Summarized

PG: Fitzy, what, would you say that you did with the Penguins?
TF: Mumble, mumble, Guerin did this and that, mumble, mumble, Beau Bennett, mumble, mumble

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
The thing that worries me is that Guerin has that much more pull. I wonder if he will jump into Fitzgerald's assignment.

I almost forgot about the 'routine' JR Fitzie spat on the draft floor.

The thing is that usually even AGMs don't have a heck of a lot of pull. Usually they handle the AHL affiliate and minor depth signings. They probably have various amounts of input to the head GM, but they aren't swinging trades by themselves. So whomever is under Botterill should have little to no say in major roster decisions. If they did prior to this past deadline, they definitely should not now.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad