Confirmed with Link: Tom Fitzgerald named New Jersey Assistant GM

billybudd

Feb 1, 2012
there was a report that Fitz and Shero were thick as thieves at the world championships. Only thing surprising here is that Fitz has been front and center with the media for the last month after years of being a ghost, publicly. Odd behavior for a guy w/ one foot out the door.

Dunno if this is a loss or not given that I have no clue what this guy did.

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
there was a report that Fitz and Shero were thick as thieves at the world championships. Only thing surprising here is that Fitz has been front and center with the media for the last month after years of being a ghost, publicly. Odd behavior for a guy w/ one foot out the door.

Yeah that's what I find weird. He was very front and center at development camp and doing a lot of interviews while Guerin and everyone else was relatively silent.

AjaxTelamon

Jul 8, 2011
Length of time before the Pens pin the Depres trade on Fitzgerald?
Roughly lateral move implies a unity of vision with Shero?
Likelihood he really is behind the Depres trade?

Just a few questions...

You'll know in a few hours when the org mouthpiece MM goes to work on this.

SprootsMasterFlex

Sprootsing 4 Life
Apr 20, 2004
Montreal, Quebec
Knowing what assets Rutherford is willing to give up, if Fitz believes these players still have value, I wouldn't be surprised to see Shero try to swing a trade to get them. Bennett and Sutter come to mind... not sure about Kunitz & Scuderi though.

Asuna

Lvl 94 Sub-Leader
Apr 27, 2014
Pittsburgh
I wonder if Recchi will take on some of Fitzgerald's responsibilities, in regards to prospect development.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
I was hoping Bill would go because he has ties to the Devils and Shero, it would have been perfect. JR distanced Guerin from his role not so long ago.

But hey, there is still time. Fitzgerald JUST left, rather late but he's gone. If Guerin goes, then I think we should have a better management group when JR does decide to retire.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
I wonder if Recchi will take on some of Fitzgerald's responsibilities, in regards to prospect development.

Recchi in a development capacity intrigues me. I am curious as to how good he is in that role, he previously did that with no other team right?

Asuna

Lvl 94 Sub-Leader
Apr 27, 2014
Pittsburgh
Recchi in a development capacity intrigues me. I am curious as to how good he is in that role, he previously did that with no other team right?

Recchi was a consultant to the front office of the Stars for a year...so this is his first actual job in hockey operations I believe.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
Guess that means rutherford will be with the team until he croaks.

Does not bother me one bit. It cracks me up that it bothers so many people. If Morehouse and Guerin left next, I'd be incredibly happy because that means the true idiots are all gone.

JR is FIXING Shero's mess while having Morehouse and his cronies meddle, but yeah, let's just blame JR.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
Recchi was a consultant to the front office of the Stars for a year...so this is his first actual job in hockey operations I believe.

That was most likely due to a friendship because of the Blazers (a lot of investors of that team are with the Stars as well).

Scouting wise, it's been Holland (Ken's bro).

Asuna

Lvl 94 Sub-Leader
Apr 27, 2014
Pittsburgh
That was most likely due to a friendship because of the Blazers (a lot of investors of that team are with the Stars as well).

Scouting wise, it's been Holland (Ken's bro).

You are correct sir. Holland is the head scout for the West, while Mark Leach is the head scout for the East. Both report to Joe McDonnell.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
Karmanos isn't an assistant GM, I don't see him as being one either

It doesn't matter either way, if Lemieux & Burkle sell their shares or majority of it, the new ownership might not like a guy with a political background like Morehouse around and fire him to bring in their guy, less of the "Hey we used to be team mates, want a job?" crap that is the Penguins right now as well in key roles.

I like Recchi as a player, same with Guerin, but I would never trust them with a high profile job in terms of development, that's the future of this team you are putting in their hands and if they do poorly, people won't want to come.

Asuna

Lvl 94 Sub-Leader
Apr 27, 2014
Pittsburgh
Karmanos isn't an assistant GM, I don't see him as being one either

It doesn't matter either way, if Lemieux & Burkle sell their shares or majority of it, the new ownership might not like a guy with a political background like Morehouse around and fire him to bring in their guy, less of the "Hey we used to be team mates, want a job?" crap that is the Penguins right now.

Does Vice President of Hockey Operations not equal Assistant GM?

SHOOTANDSCORE

Eeny Meeny Miny Moe
Sep 25, 2005
Dammit. He was the only one I liked haha.
Yeah, I thought he was the one with potential. Who knows though. He can't be that smart if he chose to go work with Shero in NJ. ;)

Don't worry, we still have 3....Botterill, Guerin, Karmanos...lol
In the event of nuclear attack, the order of succession remains intact. Gary Roberts is just one seat closer to the presidency.

Asuna

Lvl 94 Sub-Leader
Apr 27, 2014
Pittsburgh
Just as an example, the current Flames GM, was the Vice President of Hockey Operations & Assistant General Manager in Arizona a while back. I figure if it was the same title, he wouldn't need the ASGM part.

True...but I don't think they had another assistant GM there...so he'd be doing all the assistant GM work there anyways.

In comparison to Pittsburgh, we have 2 other people to do the assistant GM work.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad