Online Series: Tom Clancy's Jack Ryan (John Krasinski, Amazon Prime Series)

hb12xchamps

Dec 23, 2011
Pennsylvania
Just finished up season 1 and really enjoyed it. The only storyline that I didn't really like was the drone pilot. That probably could have been avoided completely.

Knave

Mar 6, 2007
Ottawa
It's just safe, middle of the road stuff except for the people willing to do free propaganda for the dictator of one of the most unequal societies in the world. A country facing mass starvation, a country where over 10% of the population has fled in peacetime. For the people defending that mass human suffering... this show is some outrageous thing that needs to be attacked.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
Just finished it. The more I think about it the less I cared for it. I usually don't have a problem with suspension of disbelief but this tried my patience like few shows ever have. A lot of plot holes and elements left behind. Also, the unrelenting use of f bombs was very jarring, at least to me.

Engebretson

Thank you, sweet rabbit
Nov 4, 2010
Minnesota
I finished Season 2 last night. I'll agree that there are quite a few things that aren't totally realistic, but it was entertaining enough for what it was. I also feel like 8 episodes per season is a little too rushed and they'd be better off spreading it out over 10 episodes to better flesh out the story.

The thing that really keeps bugging me is how loosely the characters are based from the book characters. I like Krasinski in the role, but he feels like way more of an emotional cowboy in this series than Ryan from the books. It's not bad, it's just different and not enough to make me not enjoy the show.

Also, no Cathy Muller in this season? What the hell? They didn't even reference the character in this season and Jack sure wasn't acting like he was still together with the future Mrs. Ryan. Just an odd choice to make to completely omit such a vital Season 1 character from Season 2.

Reactions: NyQuil and JBeast

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
I finished Season 2 last night. I'll agree that there are quite a few things that aren't totally realistic, but it was entertaining enough for what it was. I also feel like 8 episodes per season is a little too rushed and they'd be better off spreading it out over 10 episodes to better flesh out the story.

The thing that really keeps bugging me is how loosely the characters are based from the book characters. I like Krasinski in the role, but he feels like way more of an emotional cowboy in this series than Ryan from the books. It's not bad, it's just different and not enough to make me not enjoy the show.

Also, no Cathy Muller in this season? What the hell? They didn't even reference the character in this season and Jack sure wasn't acting like he was still together with the future Mrs. Ryan. Just an odd choice to make to completely omit such a vital Season 1 character from Season 2.

"Abbie Cornish was shooting another series that was filming down under and she was doing a few stage productions. Also--where in the plot coiuld she have been dropped in?"]

I am more annoyed at
"them killing the john Clark like character"

Engebretson

Thank you, sweet rabbit
Nov 4, 2010
Minnesota
"Abbie Cornish was shooting another series that was filming down under and she was doing a few stage productions. Also--where in the plot coiuld she have been dropped in?"]

I am more annoyed at
"them killing the john Clark like character"

With almost none of the season happening in the USA, yeah, it would have been hard to give Cathy a meaningful role, but they didn't even make reference to her at all. I thought that the end of the series when Jack is walking away from the Senator as the police show up, you could have shown him dialing Cathy's number or starting a text to her. Something to remind us that this character who was an important part of Season 1 is still around.

Matice getting killed off was also surprising, but I'm still holding out hope that we eventually get to see John Clark appear in this series. An entire prequel season set to the tone of Without Remorse would probably make me tear up.

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
With almost none of the season happening in the USA, yeah, it would have been hard to give Cathy a meaningful role, but they didn't even make reference to her at all. I thought that the end of the series when Jack is walking away from the Senator as the police show up, you could have shown him dialing Cathy's number or starting a text to her. Something to remind us that this character who was an important part of Season 1 is still around.

Matice getting killed off was also surprising, but I'm still holding out hope that we eventually get to see John Clark appear in this series. An entire prequel season set to the tone of Without Remorse would probably make me tear up.

I think john Clark can not appear due to his character appearing in other things and there is a rumour of his own series

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012

To me it seems like with Greer's health and the Matice thing that Uber might take the role of Ryan's black friend/military muscle figure. They seemed to spend a bunch of time making him a big deal unlike Coyote and Disco.

End of Line

Mar 20, 2009
Felt like it took a step back.

In the first episode I enjoyed the CIA vs FSB chase but was annoyed with the amount of tradecraft used in the meeting with the GRU General.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
I really didn’t like how preachy it was.

The whole point of the CIA is that they think and act within the philosophy of realpolitik and yet there’s all kinds of ra-ra-democracy stuff happening.

Greer standing there at the end like - look we what we, America, have done. Brought a family back together.

Reyes seems like a guy that the US would do very good business with. Kind of a Noriega type.

Not to mention, the number of times the special forces did just absolutely crazy shit:

1. The boat driver leaves the boat?
2. They get caught in a kill box and somehow get out despite being outgunned and outnumbered?
3. Matisse kills like 500 enemies before he dies? Once again proving that only good guys get grenades?
4. Let’s go back for Uber. Let’s go back for Greer. They keep going back for people and the body counts are just ridiculous.
5. Enemy soldiers just wander out all the time while the US guys never miss?

Ultimately it just seems kind of slapped together and the decision-making on the part of many of the characters was absolutely questionable. The number of times Ryan abandons everyone and just does whatever he wants is insane.

I like a good techno-thriller as much as the next person but this was just insipid US propaganda filled with an endless series of tropes.

I did laugh when Greer poses as a Canadian named Timothy Horton who is interested in setting up a coffee business.

Last edited:

izzy

go
Apr 29, 2012
Nova Scotia
Just finished season 1 and it was damn good up until maybe the last 10-15 which seemed incredibly rushed

1) its like they just forgot about abbie cornish and just jammed her in an elevator with one of the terrorists to give her a quick last appearance

2) what the hell was the point of the victor storyline? i get that he saves the day, but as much as i like the actor, did we need so much screentime for someone who essentially just droned one of the terrorists?

3) the scene with matice and ibrahim at the end was weird. felt rushed and forced, why even have ibrahim escape just to have a quick 30 second scene of matice killing him

now on the first ep of season 2 and its like nothing that happened in season 1 even happened. greer and ryan are the only returning characters it seems and they not working together. then all of a sudden, funny enough, ryan is the one working on what greer is also working on. wow!

I think season 1 was great because suleiman was a great antagonist, not sure how season 2 will go.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad