Online Series: Tom Clancy's Jack Ryan (John Krasinski, Amazon Prime Series)

Hockeyfrilla

Swe prospect fanatic
May 25, 2008
Sweden
Coming August 31 Jack Ryan, an up-and-coming CIA analyst, is thrust into a dangerous field assignment for the first time. He soon uncovers a pattern in terrorist communication that launches him into the center of a dangerous gambit with a new breed of terrorism that threatens destruction on a global scale.

No Fun Shogun

34-38-61-10-13-15
May 1, 2011
Illinois
Eh... previews have looked decent, but I can't shake the feeling that Krasinski just seems miscast as Jack Ryan, at least one that seems more centered on the action part of the role.

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
Eh... previews have looked decent, but I can't shake the feeling that Krasinski just seems miscast as Jack Ryan, at least one that seems more centered on the action part of the role.

The Jack Ryan of the books does start out as a young CIA analyst who ends up being "miscast" as a field agent, so a slightly nerdy, non-action actor like Krasinki seems fitting to me. I suspect that he may be closer to the character that Tom Clancy initially created than Harrison Ford's and Chris Pine's portrayals. Being more of an every-man than an action hero was a large part of the early appeal of the character, after all. That said, we don't know if Krasinksi will seem as suitable when the character starts to become a hero, so your concerns about miscasting could still end up proving true.

Last edited:
Sep 19, 2008
This show looks good, it'll drop in a few hours

Was a big fan of the Jack Ryan series in book form growing up so we'll see how good this adaptation is

wedge

Oct 4, 2004
victoriaville
This show looks good, it'll drop in a few hours

Was a big fan of the Jack Ryan series in book form growing up so we'll see how good this adaptation is
I never had the courage to read those books as a teenager. But man, did I like watching Patriot games and Clear and Present Danger. They were a lot smarter than most action movies we had back then.

MadDevil

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2007
Bismarck, ND

I thought he was okay in an action role in that Benghazi movie he was in.

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus

He is no more miscast then either Ford or Baldwin

I have watched the first 3 episodes and he is not bad in the role.

The biggest concern is that you have is it coming off a lot like Homeland and is a only a male version of it. But Wendell Pierce is a scene-stealer in the show. "get on the f***ing plane"

It has already been renewed for season 2 and they have added some interesting actors.

Going to give it a chance

Last edited:

SniperHF

Rejecting Reports
Mar 9, 2007
Phoenix
Sort of OT, but I'd pay a large sum of money to see a proper Without Remorse movie of good quality (RE: Better than the last couple Jack Ryan flicks).
It could even be modernized if it had to be, swap the Middle East for Vietnam. Use the opined OD epidemic as the backdrop.

RandV

It's a wolf v2.0
Jul 29, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site
Sort of OT, but I'd pay a large sum of money to see a proper Without Remorse movie of good quality (RE: Better than the last couple Jack Ryan flicks).
It could even be modernized if it had to be, swap the Middle East for Vietnam. Use the opined OD epidemic as the backdrop.

I was a little confused when I started reading this thread with Jack Ryan as a non-action orientated 'analyst' because I read Without Remorse... but that's the John Clark character origin. It's been talked about getting a movie for a long time but Liam Neeson has kind of cornered that market now.

Engebretson

Thank you, sweet rabbit
Nov 4, 2010
Minnesota
My favorite Clancy book. Would love to see that story get a proper live action adaptation.

SniperHF

Rejecting Reports
Mar 9, 2007
Phoenix
but that's the John Clark character origin. It's been talked about getting a movie for a long time but Liam Neeson has kind of cornered that market now.

I think for it to be done well, it would certainly need a large element of Taken. But I think as much as half the movie should be more drama than thriller. Which is probably why I'll never be happy with it if they do make it.

My favorite Clancy book. Would love to see that story get a proper live action adaptation.

It's his best book and I don't think it's particularly close. Though to be fair I've only read about 6 of them, The Ryan centric ones kinda washed together and I lost interest outside of a couple standouts.

Anyway enough John Clark derail for me :P

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
I like what was in the briefing folder left for Ryan at the end of episode 8. While they can not use any of the books--my guess is they are going to use a twist of the Cardinal in Kremlin

SupremeNachos

Dec 6, 2011
Minnesota
I'm a sucker for any TC stuff so I was very happy this turned out to be good. It seemed in a few episodes the didn't do enough to fill in some holes due to time, but overall I enjoyed it.

Hockeyfrilla

Swe prospect fanatic
May 25, 2008
Sweden
Solid first season. I'll continue to watch, season 2 is already filming with Noomi Rapace and Michael Kelly joining the cast.

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
I re watched a few episodes and I looked at some of the trivia that Amazon added to scenes. Looks like they had a very tight filming schedule with little or no re shoots due to cast availability. There are a few scenes that seemed off and it sounds like they only had one or two takes and that was it. in reading a few of the on line comments from the writers and directors there one scene they wanted to redo and that was the scene where his girlfriend was talking the military guys and Ryan walks in and they have that discussion where she said "Was any of it real"--they reportedly only had the two actors for 1 day to shoot the scene and were hoping to go back to pick it and change it. "Too much like a Hallmark movie" was one of the comments

Neutrinos

Sep 23, 2016
I was really looking forward to this when I first heard Krasinski had been cast as Jack Ryan, unfortunately though, what we ended up with was Jim Halpert as a CIA analyst - minus his sense of humour

I also thought Krasinski had no chemistry with Cornish

Overall, the season was mostly enjoyable, but it could've been done better

KapG

Dec 2, 2008
Toronto
Been saying this for years

How has this not been made into a film yet?!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->