Told you so, they lost. (7-1)

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
The Habs were awful. This time they stunk out 3 periods instead of 1 or 2. They were playing a major divisional rival, so it hurt double. They'd better atone for it.

They will, thanks to ...

0013_l.jpg

Natey

GOATS
Aug 2, 2005
They're not as good as Bouillon and Desharnais, that's for sure. :sarcasm:

Subban was ribbing Stamkos, a lifelong friend. And Pacioretty is ineffective but hardly lazy. People confound lazy and ineffective often, like they did with Kovalev. Kovalev wasn't lazy, he just didn't trust his linemates all that often and tried to do too much at the same time.

None of this has anything to do with their captaincy. I thought both of them were BRUTAL last game and not-very-good so far this season but they have a lot of rope left - unlike JJ Daigneault.
I didn't like their selections from the start.

PK I can live with though.

Desharnais has the effort level right, but if he wore an A our team would never shoot. :sarcasm:

Natey

GOATS
Aug 2, 2005
Come on man, don't be ridiculous...
You have a problem with PK telling Stamkos to enjoy this win because it won't be like that again next time?..I mean really??..Why in God's name would you have an issue with that?
That's exactly what I want my captain to say and he says what pretty much every fan feels. Are you really that prudish and conservative? That you dislike the words a player said despite you feeling the exact same way?
Come on dude..

On the ice, most of our team is looking lost.
I don't have an issue with that if it's said in the room to the boys. Now if it does happen, its the type of comment that will cause unnecessary media ********.

No I'm not conservative, I just prefer him to figure out what's wrong with his game on the he rather than making fired up type comments he makes all the time.

Kimota

ROY DU NORD!!!
Nov 4, 2005
Les Plaines D'Abraham
I think Eller's biggest problem is entitlement. He expects to have players as good as im on his line and never gets it... he has a notch he holds back... if he'd just get over it and play to his best regardless of his circumstances he'd be a much better player.

Yea he needs a kick in the ass. He has all the tool but tends to sit on it. Maybe that's why he did so well in the playoffs with hardworking guys, he couldn't let it slide.

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
I don't have an issue with that if it's said in the room to the boys. Now if it does happen, its the type of comment that will cause unnecessary media ********.

No I'm not conservative, I just prefer him to figure out what's wrong with his game on the he rather than making fired up type comments he makes all the time.

What media ****storm did it cause? I wouldn't even classify this as trash talk. It's a statement he's making. If I recall correctly he made one in the POs, about going into Boston and taking everything away from Boston fans, and everybody loved it. They said it was a Messier type of declaration (and everybody loved Messier's comments).

So really, I think you're putting way too much negative spin on this. Nothing wrong with it.

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
There is a huge difference in the timing of PK's statements.
His PO gem was perfect and he was at the top of his game as was Messier when he made his.
This recent blurb is ill timed and coming from a D who is frankly playing crap.

pepperMonkey

Aug 2, 2005
Toronto
His PO gem was perfect and he was at the top of his game as was Messier when he made his.

Ill timed? How so? They aren't in a playoff series so not as if it matters. Other team would just go "okay, whatever" and forget about it.
Seriously, what's the big deal?

Natey

GOATS
Aug 2, 2005
What media ****storm did it cause? I wouldn't even classify this as trash talk. It's a statement he's making. If I recall correctly he made one in the POs, about going into Boston and taking everything away from Boston fans, and everybody loved it. They said it was a Messier type of declaration (and everybody loved Messier's comments).

So really, I think you're putting way too much negative spin on this. Nothing wrong with it.
Maybe if you understood what I said you'd see differently.

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
Maybe if you understood what I said you'd see differently.

What did I not understand exactly? You prefer he shuts up and work on his game? Ya. Not sure why one needs to exclude the other. He can say whatever he wants and work on his game.
''Enjoy this 7-1 victory..it won't happen again..'' Ya..that's a little too much..:facepalm:

SB164

Apr 29, 2010
Montreal, Quebec
You think the Habs losing 7-1 against Tampa on the road was bad, imagine how Brazilians felt watching their team lose to Germany in the semi-finals of the World Cup by the exact same score.

86822-not-like-this-gif-perfect-loop-pD6b.gif

habscup*

Do I have to spell it out?
If you seriously want to be Captain of the most prestigious Hockey Organization.
You might want to consider what comes out of your mouth for public consumption.

You know your reaching now. This is hockey. You do whatever you can to win. As long as you don't get arrested and you win on the ice, that's all that matters.

pepperMonkey

Aug 2, 2005
Toronto
Do I have to spell it out?
If you seriously want to be Captain of the most prestigious Hockey Organization.
You might want to consider what comes out of your mouth for public consumption.

Oh please, what a lot of us are trying to say is that what he said is no big deal.

Sure, if he was trying to be a kindergarten teacher, or a 100% fully politically correct, dry spokesmen for a children's TV show host, then yes, it's bad...but we are all adults here (generally speaking), he's a top athlete for a sports franchise...what he said, simply, is a whole lot of nothing. No one is going to be offended by it, and even if by some obscure rarity they are...big bloody whoopdy do. They need to just chill.

TravisF

Jul 11, 2011
www.artbreak.com
What's the backstory on that?

Geoffrion was not known as a fighter, although he was a rugged guy who could handle the rough play. He showed on this occasion that he was capable of hurting a guy if he was provoked. Ron Murphy was a young player for the Rangers. He really got under Bernie's skin in this game. The result was that the two engaged in one of the most brutal stick fights in NHL history.

The clip posted is short and does not show what led up to the stick-swinging rampage.
Apparently, Bob Crystal got into a wrestling match with Bernie. The article describes this encounter as routine and not particularly eventful. Trouble started when Murphy went after Geoffrion in retaliation. He refused to drop his stick. A linesman tried to get the stick away from Murphy.

Geoffrion was trying to throw punches at Ron. He was unsuccessful because the official was in the way trying to get Murphy's stick. Ron managed to hold on to his stick and he hit Bernie in the side of the head, which opened up a small cut. Geoffrion went ballistic at this point. He grabbed his stick and was seeing red. He was looking to put some hurt on Murphy.

At this point, the video clip shows the brutal stick-swinging affair. Bernie swung with three vicious two handers. Murphy was able to block the first two. The third landed right on his jaw and dropped him to the ice. Ron was badly hurt and had a broken jaw as a result of the attack.

This was one of the brutal stick-swinging attacks in NHL history. Murphy brought trouble on himself by refusing to drop his stick and settle his dispute with his fists. He was doomed once he drew first blood with his stick on Geoffrion. This does not justify what Bernie did. However, in the heat of combat fear will make a man do horrible things.

Murphy missed several games recovering from his injuries. The Rangers sent him to the minors to teach him the lesson that he would not survive long in the NHL if he got into dangerous stick fights. Ron was chastened and came back the next year with the club. Murphy went on to have a long and productive NHL career. He made the all-star team and won a Stanley Cup in Chicago in 1961.

Geoffrion went on to have a legendary career. He was not a troublemaker on the ice. He learned to control his temper after this isolated incident. Bernie was the second man to score 50 goals in a NHL season. He was on six Stanley Cup winners. He won two scoring titles and one MVP award.

Bernie was criticized because he won the scoring title in 1955 after Maurice "Rocket" Richard went on a sustained stick-swinging rampage. Many fans in Montreal held a grudge against him. I can't understand the mentality behind this. What was Geoffrion supposed to do, not try to score for the remainder of the year. His case reminds me of the flak Roger Maris took for beating Babe Ruth's record for home runs in a season and beating out Yankees crowd-favorite Mickey Mantle.

Geoffrion was made of strong stuff. He let the criticism and jealousies roll off his back. He had a phenomenal NHL career. He made it to eleven all-star games. He may have had a hard time emerging from the shadow of Rocket Richard, but he became a legend in his own right. Bernie was one of the great snipers in NHL history. The stick fight with Murphy was an anomaly in his career. He was a good guy and a class act.

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
Oh please, what a lot of us are trying to say is that what he said is no big deal.

Sure, if he was trying to be a kindergarten teacher, or a 100% fully politically correct, dry spokesmen for a children's TV show host, then yes, it's bad...but we are all adults here (generally speaking), he's a top athlete for a sports franchise...what he said, simply, is a whole lot of nothing. No one is going to be offended by it, and even if by some obscure rarity they are...big bloody whoopdy do. They need to just chill.

It's not what he said its the fact that he felt he should say anything at all.
Very poor judgement in my mind.
He looks and sounds like he's the one in kindergarten.
Get a grip on your game and shut your piehole...

NotProkofievian

Nov 29, 2011

If anything, P.K.'s statement in the playoffs should give him a little lee-way with this statement. So far, he's backed up statements like this with his play. We'll see what he does Thursday. I'm expecting a big game.

LePoche69

Jul 15, 2004
Montreal

Ah come on. PK and Stamkos are friends. He was just teasing him.

PricePkPatch*

If anything, P.K.'s statement in the playoffs should give him a little lee-way with this statement. So far, he's backed up statements like this with his play. We'll see what he does Thursday. I'm expecting a big game.

+1

Is there an anti-ignore list? I wanna have your posts highlighted to see if you regularily post that well.

LePoche69

Jul 15, 2004
Montreal
Geoffrion was not known as a fighter, although he was a rugged guy who could handle the rough play. He showed on this occasion that he was capable of hurting a guy if he was provoked. Ron Murphy was a young player for the Rangers. He really got under Bernie's skin in this game. The result was that the two engaged in one of the most brutal stick fights in NHL history.

The clip posted is short and does not show what led up to the stick-swinging rampage.
Apparently, Bob Crystal got into a wrestling match with Bernie. The article describes this encounter as routine and not particularly eventful. Trouble started when Murphy went after Geoffrion in retaliation. He refused to drop his stick. A linesman tried to get the stick away from Murphy.

Geoffrion was trying to throw punches at Ron. He was unsuccessful because the official was in the way trying to get Murphy's stick. Ron managed to hold on to his stick and he hit Bernie in the side of the head, which opened up a small cut. Geoffrion went ballistic at this point. He grabbed his stick and was seeing red. He was looking to put some hurt on Murphy.

At this point, the video clip shows the brutal stick-swinging affair. Bernie swung with three vicious two handers. Murphy was able to block the first two. The third landed right on his jaw and dropped him to the ice. Ron was badly hurt and had a broken jaw as a result of the attack.

This was one of the brutal stick-swinging attacks in NHL history. Murphy brought trouble on himself by refusing to drop his stick and settle his dispute with his fists. He was doomed once he drew first blood with his stick on Geoffrion. This does not justify what Bernie did. However, in the heat of combat fear will make a man do horrible things.

Murphy missed several games recovering from his injuries. The Rangers sent him to the minors to teach him the lesson that he would not survive long in the NHL if he got into dangerous stick fights. Ron was chastened and came back the next year with the club. Murphy went on to have a long and productive NHL career. He made the all-star team and won a Stanley Cup in Chicago in 1961.

Geoffrion went on to have a legendary career. He was not a troublemaker on the ice. He learned to control his temper after this isolated incident. Bernie was the second man to score 50 goals in a NHL season. He was on six Stanley Cup winners. He won two scoring titles and one MVP award.

Bernie was criticized because he won the scoring title in 1955 after Maurice "Rocket" Richard went on a sustained stick-swinging rampage. Many fans in Montreal held a grudge against him. I can't understand the mentality behind this. What was Geoffrion supposed to do, not try to score for the remainder of the year. His case reminds me of the flak Roger Maris took for beating Babe Ruth's record for home runs in a season and beating out Yankees crowd-favorite Mickey Mantle.

Geoffrion was made of strong stuff. He let the criticism and jealousies roll off his back. He had a phenomenal NHL career. He made it to eleven all-star games. He may have had a hard time emerging from the shadow of Rocket Richard, but he became a legend in his own right. Bernie was one of the great snipers in NHL history. The stick fight with Murphy was an anomaly in his career. He was a good guy and a class act.

It wasn't much criticism. It was booing. And I always considered the fans were booing the situation more than Geoffrion. Geoffrion kept being liked by Montreal fans after that.

CupInSIX

My cap runneth over
Jul 1, 2012
Alphaville

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal

I hope so. We are paying this guy an awful lot of money hoping he becomes the face of this franchise. I don't think I'm far off when i say there is a certain dignity that comes with wearing our "C".
PK has yet to find the easiness of a Markov or a Plecky it shows both on and off the ice.
When he does he can truly be great.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad