Confirmed with Link: Toffoli Signs for 3 Years/$4.6 AAV

KopitarFAN

Reno Sucks!
Oct 14, 2008
San Pedro, CA
Perfect term for Toffoli and Pearson considering the team will look a lot different in 2-3 years. It's quite possible Gaborik, Brown, and maybe even Doughty won't be around. Having options to trade Pearson and/or Toffoli as well could set them up decently for a complete rebuild.

Hell, could even be different a year from now, Dewey with 1 year left, Pearson with 3 and Toffoli with 2, all at reasonable rates, not to mention either Muzzin or Martinez (maybe both, but I doubt it) at $4M for 2 and 3 more years, respectively, all could have good years and the whole season be derailed by Quick getting hurt again.

Indeed, they would be well positioned to rebuild.

deeshamrock

Jul 25, 2011
Philadelphia, PA
Good and fair deal for both sides. TT's only 28 when the new deal comes and 3 yrs to put up big numbers for that payday. Good for him to get a short deal. Guess that will depend on what's left if they sign DD the yr before

Blake done good...

And stronger rumors about the Kings wanting a top 6 winger, via FA if not trade. Even rumors of Oshie (if Caps can't meet his number)

I guess with 6 M left, or so, and still contracts to be signed, including a backup (I don't think they are rolling with Zatkoff) , if they want that legit top 6 winger, another contract will be moved. Which has been out there for some time

Pearson's deal, I think, is the home run. His tenacity and consistency, physical game, just going to get better.

kings11

Sep 29, 2011
Las Vegas
Not sure how the Oshie rumors can even be true considering his age and style of play, i'd rather give Joe Thornton a 2 year/ $8 million contract and either place him as a 3C or move Carter to the wing and have JT as the 2C.... we could then trade a Muzzin/Martinez for a legit 3C and prospect or pick.... maybe Jesse Puljujarvi..

Pearson - Kopitar - Toffoli
Brown - Thornton - Carter
Kempe - Lewis - Brodzinski
Clifford - Shore - Nolan

Forbort - Doughty
Muzzin - LaDue
Fantenberg - Gravel

Quick
Campbell

Or if we swap Jesse Puljujarvi for Jake Muzzin/Alec Martinez + .... uber talents winger on the 2nd year of his ELC and who is likely to breakout....

Pearson - Kopitar -( Puljujarvi...Toffoli)
Brown - Carter - (Toffoli...Brodzinski)
Kempe - Thornton - (Brodzinski...Puljujarvi)
Lewis - Shore - Nolan
Marian Gaborik

Forbort - Doughty
Muzzin - LaDue
Fantenberg - Gravel
MacDermid

Quick
Campbell

Last edited:

kovacro

Uvijek Vjerni
Nov 20, 2008
Hamilton, ON
Not sure how the Oshie rumors can even be true considering his age and style of play, i'd rather give Joe Thornton a 2 year/ $8 million contract and either place him as a 3C or move Carter to the wing and have JT as the 2C.... we could then trade a Muzzin/Martinez for a legit 3C and prospect or pick.... maybe Jesse Puljujarvi..

Pearson - Kopitar - Toffoli
Brown - Thornton - Carter
Kempe - Lewis - Brodzinski
Clifford - Shore - Nolan

Forbort - Doughty
Muzzin - LaDue
Fantenberg - Gravel

Quick
Campbell

Or if we swap Jesse Puljujarvi for Alec Martinez .... uber talents winger on the 2nd year of his ELC and who is likely to breakout....

Pearson - Kopitar -( Puljujarvi...Toffoli)
Brown - Carter - (Toffoli...Brodzinski)
Kempe - Thornton - (Brodzinski...Puljujarvi)
Lewis - Shore - Nolan
Marian Gaborik

Forbort - Doughty
Muzzin - LaDue
Fantenberg - Gravel
MacDermid

Quick
Campbell

The Oliers are not trading Puljujarvi. He's going to be playing on McDavid's wing sooner or later.

kings11

Sep 29, 2011
Las Vegas
The Oliers are not trading Puljujarvi. He's going to be playing on McDavid's wing sooner or later.

Just looking at all possibilities... I'm sure it would take Muzzin + 2nd/3rd/Martinez + 11 OA to even start the conversation... However, also take into account what a Muzzin/Martinez does for that defense and the team as a whole... Your underestimating the value of an unproven prospect compared to that of a top 4 defenseman which are harder to come by than a top 6 winger....

A deal with LV to take both Dowd and McNabb clears $2.4 million in additional cap space, I'm sure we could get a 2nd/3rd..

lumbergh

It was an idea. I didn't say it was a good idea.
Jan 8, 2007
Richmond, VA
If we trade for a fwd before the expansion draft we would have to expose Forbort (protecting, with your scenario, 7-3-1). Unless you're trading a D?

Well that's the idea, right? Muzzin/Martinez for a top six forward. Several teams are looking for D and have young forwards to trade. Seems like the Kings are very high on Ladue. He and the Fantenberg signing gives the Kings a surplus of D.

I think that the Kings should wait until the expansion draft is over and see how things shake out before making a move, but that's my opinion. The teams with forwards available will likely still be in the same boat after the expansion draft.

Protect Kopi, Carter, Toffoli, Pearson, Doughty, Martinez, Muzzin, Forbort, and Quick. If Vegas takes McNabb, I would think twice about moving Muzzin/Martinez. Maybe look towards free agency for help up front. If Vegas takes Dowd or Lewis, the Kings can pull the trigger on a D for F trade.

Stimpythecat

Jul 1, 2015
If the players vote for the same cap increase of 2.2% as last time, that is $1.6 million more. 3 more cap increases before doughty's extension. Same % over all 3 years would mean $5 million.

And it looks like we may have $1.5 million in cap space after signing everyone. Plus we lose someone so we could have as much as $2.5ish plus whatever the cap goes up. Trading or burying clifford/nolan could let us have around $5 million.

deeshamrock

Jul 25, 2011
Philadelphia, PA
Well that's the idea, right? Muzzin/Martinez for a top six forward. Several teams are looking for D and have young forwards to trade. Seems like the Kings are very high on Ladue. He and the Fantenberg signing gives the Kings a surplus of D.

I think that the Kings should wait until the expansion draft is over and see how things shake out before making a move, but that's my opinion. The teams with forwards available will likely still be in the same boat after the expansion draft.

Protect Kopi, Carter, Toffoli, Pearson, Doughty, Martinez, Muzzin, Forbort, and Quick. If Vegas takes McNabb, I would think twice about moving Muzzin/Martinez. Maybe look towards free agency for help up front. If Vegas takes Dowd or Lewis, the Kings can pull the trigger on a D for F trade.

I think that's what GM's shopping will do...

Can't do FA w/o moving Muzz or AMart. And esp if they are serious about a legit top 6er, FA needs a new deal and that would be at least that.

deeshamrock

Jul 25, 2011
Philadelphia, PA
If the players vote for the same cap increase of 2.2% as last time, that is $1.6 million more. 3 more cap increases before doughty's extension. Same % over all 3 years would mean $5 million.

And it looks like we may have $1.5 million in cap space after signing everyone. Plus we lose someone so we could have as much as $2.5ish plus whatever the cap goes up. Trading or burying clifford/nolan could let us have around $5 million.

Except this year, more than e ver, from the NHLPA rumblings, that's not likely.

DoktorJeep

Expediency x Sentimentality = Mediocrity
Aug 2, 2005
OC
Good deal for the Kings and TT. Nice work by Blake. I'm glad he was able to sign the two key RFAs early in the summer. Now there will be no distractions about either of them being offer sheet targets, trade rumors or camp hold outs.

kings11

Sep 29, 2011
Las Vegas

Can't do FA w/o moving Muzz or AMart. And esp if they are serious about a legit top 6er, FA needs a new deal and that would be at least that.

Although not likely possible, a Martinez + trade for a Puljujarvi means we clear $3+ mill while acquiring a fwd who is exempt to the expansion draft... this is why i would do this now and move to a 7-3-1 format rather than a 8-1 protection.. it allows us to facilitate a trade with LV as i mentioned before...
Kopitar, Carter, Toffoli, Pearson, Dowd, Lewis, Nolan
Doughty, Muzzin, Forbort
Quick

I would only protect Dowd with the intention of forcing LV to take McNabb, Shore or Mersch.. most likely McNabb and then trying to strike a deal to send both players to LV for a 2nd/3rd rounder in either this draft or the next....

Stimpythecat

Jul 1, 2015
Except this year, more than e ver, from the NHLPA rumblings, that's not likely.

Yeah, I'm not sure where the players are going this time. Oil prices have recovered a bit from the low in the $30s. Just have to wait and see what the numbers come out to.

At least if it's a flat cap, we can still fit everyone in.

KingTrouty

Allons!
Jan 18, 2015
The Valley

I agree. 4-4-1 is the way I would go, barring something outrageous that we can't pass up. We all agree on whom should be protected. I hope we don't lose Dowd. But it will be he or Lewis, unfortunaly, imo.

I agree on waiting, as well.

KingTrouty

Allons!
Jan 18, 2015
The Valley

Eggsactly!

Don't see any significant trades being made, from any team, until the Vegas situation is shored up.

Stimpythecat

Jul 1, 2015
Probably not. Most teams have at least 8 skaters they want to protect. Seems a lot of teams have 3-4 quality defensemen they want to keep.

Herby

Now I can die in peace
Feb 27, 2002
Mullett Lake, MI
Just let the expansion chips fall as they may.

Last time we tried to get cute in an expansion draft it cost us Timonen so we could keep Galley, Storr and Feces.

BigKing

Blake Out of Hell III: Back in to Hell
Mar 11, 2003
Belmont Shore, CA
google.com
Just let the expansion chips fall as they may.

Last time we tried to get cute in an expansion draft it cost us Timonen so we could keep Galley, Storr and Feces.

They couldn't make a decision on Storr/Fiset in 1998 so they protected both and then traded Timmonen so they wouldn't take Galley.

Then they lost O'Donnell to the Wild in 2000 because they had to keep Storr/Feces together two years after the Nashville draft so they protected both of them again! Wheeeee!!!

Whole lot of trash selected in that 2000 draft. Out of the players drafted that day that actually wound up playing for MIN/CBJ, O'Donnell had easily the best career. Kings lost him though because they couldn't decide which of the 1B/1C goalies they wanted to keep.

Herby

Now I can die in peace
Feb 27, 2002
Mullett Lake, MI
I think the official deal was giving Nashville a bunch of assets including Timonen so they would agree to take Freddie Chabot so the Kings wouldn't lose either Storr or Feces in the following expansion drafts (could only lose 1 goalie during the expansion drafts).

Fiset was complete garbage and Storr was another Garon, had the physical tools but didn't have it between the ears to be a top goalie.

Ziggy Stardust

Master Debater
Jul 25, 2002
Parts Unknown
By getting Nashville to agree to select a goalie in the '98 expansion draft, the expansion rules thus protected the Kings from losing a goalie to Atlanta in the '99 expansion draft.

Naturally, by 2001, none of Fiset nor Storr would establish themselves as starters, so they went out and took a chance on Felix Potvin and lucked out.

The Kings also sent a sizable package of players to Nashville in order to ensure that Jere Karalahti would also not be selected by the Preds. Marian Cisar, Jan Vopat, Vitali Yachmenev and Kimmo Timonen were all sent to Nashville as part of this agreement. Boy did that turn out to be a mistake in the long haul.

Last edited:

BigKing

Blake Out of Hell III: Back in to Hell
Mar 11, 2003
Belmont Shore, CA
google.com
I think the official deal was giving Nashville a bunch of assets including Timonen so they would agree to take Freddie Chabot so the Kings wouldn't lose either Storr or Feces in the following expansion drafts (could only lose 1 goalie during the expansion drafts).

Fiset was complete garbage and Storr was another Garon, had the physical tools but didn't have it between the ears to be a top goalie.

Interesting since Helene's article about losing O'Donnell reads like the Kings had to protect both goalies so they couldn't protect OD.

Ziggy Stardust

Master Debater
Jul 25, 2002
Parts Unknown
Interesting since Helene's article about losing O'Donnell reads like the Kings had to protect both goalies so they couldn't protect OD.

I think the Kings were protected in '99 from losing a goalie to Atlanta, so they wound up losing Matt Johnson to them.

In '00 they had to protect both goalies again and went 7F-3D-2G.

Palffy, Stumpel, Robitaille, Murray, Smolinski, Laperriere, Buchberger

Blake, Norstrom, Berg

Fiset, Storr

Exposed list:

Forwards - Eric Belanger, Dan Bylsma, Bob Corkum, Allan Egeland, Nelson Emerson, Craig Johnson, Nathan Lafayette, Steve McKenna, Igor Melyakov, Jason Morgan, Jason Podollan, Pavel Rosa, Mikael Simons, John Thomas, Jukka Tillikainen, Marko Tuomainen, Juha Vuorivirta, Magnus Wernblom

Defensemen - Philippe Boucher, Rich Brennan, Garry Galley, Dave MacIsaac, Jaroslav Modry, Jan Nemecek, Sean O'Donnell, Martin Strbak

Goalies- Marcel Cousineau, Michael O'Neill, Steve Passmore, Travis Scott

BallPointHammer

Los Angeles Kings - We're Back!
Oct 25, 2006
Maryland
Yeah, I'm kind of a dick like that sometimes.

...and RP, please don't go back and point out when you were right about something, because that makes you a dick too. (dripping with :sarcasm:)

Nice job by Blake thus far, but nothing spectacular, so C+ is my honest assessment.

I think a B would be fair all around, plus show the requisite optimism. ☺ Now if Blake keeps it up through the two drafts and free agency than some level of A is certainly within reach.

KingsFan7824

Dec 4, 2003
Visit site
Great, now we're going back and second guessing a move from 19 years ago, involving a guy that was drafted 24 years ago, with the 250th pick, who hadn't played in an NHL game by that point.

We're getting into the paralysis by analysis area now. Literally any move made could go right or wrong. An attempt at creativity in the past didn't work, so don't try anything again. Then we'll complain that coaches don't allow players to do anything, because they may have made a mistake in the past.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad