Confirmed with Link: Toffoli Signs for 3 Years/$4.6 AAV

Ziggy Stardust

Master Debater
Jul 25, 2002
Parts Unknown
The Flyers saved 5 mil plus in cap space when they put Pronger on LTIR for like 4 seasons, then traded him to ARZ . Everyone knew he was done and they figured out a way to skirt the cap by not having him retire.

I think the difference with Pronger though was that he suffered from a career ending injury. Similar to what happened with Savard, Clarkson, Horton. Their playing careers were over, so they still collected a paycheck and sat out.

Whereas Gaborik or Greene may still want to give it a go. I wish there was a way to make them "disappear." Isn't that what Toronto did with Lupul?

Primakov!

Dec 9, 2003
Yesteryear
From what I understand LTIR does not add cap space.

The team still has to account for it

I think most people look at it like subtraction and that the cap hit of the player on LTIR comes off the books to allow you to spend more. Whereas it is more like addition to the salary cap maximum that only kicks in when a team is going to go over the limit in trying to replace that player on the roster.

LTIR does not really do anything to help if you're not overspending the cap. Which is why last year the team recalled Scuderi from the minors to temporarily add his cap hit to the overall total before using LTIR to maximize how much they could overspend by.

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
I think the difference with Pronger though was that he suffered from a career ending injury. Similar to what happened with Savard, Clarkson, Horton. Their playing careers were over, so they still collected a paycheck and sat out.

Whereas Gaborik or Greene may still want to give it a go. I wish there was a way to make them "disappear." Isn't that what Toronto did with Lupul?

TO fans affectionately call it "Robidas Island," as in Stephane is there with Lupul...seems like everyone forgot about him so it seems to be working!

There were pictures of Lupul at Coachella during TO's run, so. Loophole Lou isn't slowing down.

Jun 30, 2006
Lomardi set a low standard based on the number of poor decisions he made leading up to his removal.

Getting Toffoli and Pearson locked up at under $9M combined is good. Restocking the cupboard with prospects that Lombardi would have looked over is good. I'm sure there are more transactions that will be made that'll address what this team has been lacking.

Any GM can "restock" the cupboard and hype up some college free agents. Not sure it will have any impact on the big club. Might as well award Blake the GM of the year trophy.

mbar

Dec 7, 2006
Los Angeles
I guess my only question is if TT is still RFA after this contract? If UFA that is a little alarming he could leave after just 3 more seasons.

Dog as Man

Mostly sniffing around.
Feb 27, 2002
Napa
Maybe there should be a little more rah rah for Tyler. The guy is a marvel. Thank you Tyler for not being super greedy. How many would only take enough?

bob77

Nov 19, 2014
The Flyers saved 5 mil plus in cap space when they put Pronger on LTIR for like 4 seasons, then traded him to ARZ . Everyone knew he was done and they figured out a way to skirt the cap by not having him retire.

The LTIR increases cap space so you can go over your daily limit. However, the main idea of the LTIR is to cut a team a break when a player gets injured and won't be coming back the rest of the season, excluding playoffs. So, they allow the one extra player on the roster, etc. and you go over. The kicker to the LTIR is that if the injured player comes back during the season, the whole thing is retroactive and treated just like the regular IR rules. The regular IR rules don't grant cap relief, you just get to go from 23 to 24 players, and they all have to fit. So, it's tricky with whether teams will use LTIR. I agree with dam1156 comments, but then add my caveat here. Think about it. If using LTIR was simple, teams would never use regular IR. They'd just use LTIR and go over the cap. In Pronger case, you don't get your paycheck if you retire. Next year, Matt Greene won't get his paycheck if he retires. But, if Matt is LTIR for the whole season, the Kings can go safely over the cap for the season (24 players including Greene). The thing is that a team can't tell a player he's still injured. If Matt claims he's healthy and wants to actually play, he has that right. The Kings can send him to Ontario also, but only save about 950k in cap space. So, Matt can essentially retire while still on the payroll by claiming he's still injured. The Kings put him on LTIR, go over cap, Matt gets paid all year and everyone is happy. So, as dam1156 stated, the cap space is created a buyout with penalty, trade for draft pick, or Matt actually retires, which he won't do because of 2.5 million reasons, just like
Scuderi didn't retire last year for 3.75 million reasons. I would not either!!!

bob77

Nov 19, 2014
I think most people look at it like subtraction and that the cap hit of the player on LTIR comes off the books to allow you to spend more. Whereas it is more like addition to the salary cap maximum that only kicks in when a team is going to go over the limit in trying to replace that player on the roster.

LTIR does not really do anything to help if you're not overspending the cap. Which is why last year the team recalled Scuderi from the minors to temporarily add his cap hit to the overall total before using LTIR to maximize how much they could overspend by.

You are correct

KingTrouty

Allons!
Jan 18, 2015
The Valley
So, people still think hiring Rob Blake as GM was a bad idea? Thus far his signings have been pretty damn spectacular.

So far no complaints, and I hated the hire. He's done excellent thus far with what he was given. But I'm still waiting for more than half an off-season to anoint him. Cautiously optimistic, now. Never thought I'd even get to this point.

Hell of an extension. Good job, Blake.

kingsholygrail

We've made progress - Robitaille
Sponsor
Dec 21, 2006
Derpifornia
I know right? He should've pulled the Lombardi and traded both of them for expiring contracts!

Right? DL never made a good decision. Team won in spite of him. It was a miracle. Surprised Rob didn't take over sooner. He coulda been the first Player-GM rather than going to the Sharks.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad