Confirmed with Link: Toews to Avs for 2021 and 2022 2nd rd picks.

periferal

Jul 5, 2007
They would need to somehow shed another 12 mil to resign our 2 guys AND add a forward the way i see. No chance.

Pulock+Barzal = 13?
Hoffman = 7mil?

Exactly. Tell the people who still don't get it (and complain when you try to tell them).

periferal

Jul 5, 2007
Prices are way down on UFAs, I'd be shocked if Hoffman ended up commanding that much. I also don't think Barzal gets more than $7M (and I don't think he hits that).

Name your price on a bet that Barzal gets at least 7M/year. Regardless of a bridge or long term deal he's easily our best player and will be paid as such. Him and his agent won't allow to be paid less than Lee who's getting 7M/year, and even in this Covid world he deserves that much.

So again...Name your bet.

PWJunior

Stay safe!
Apr 11, 2010
Long Island, NY
Name your price on a bet that Barzal gets at least 7M/year. Regardless of a bridge or long term deal he's easily our best player and will be paid as such. Him and his agent won't allow to be paid less than Lee who's getting 7M/year, and even in this Covid world he deserves that much.

If he signs for less then you can't post your whining crap for a month on here so basically you take a month off. If he signs for more then I'll take a month vacation.

I'd gladly fall on the sword for everyone to shut you up for a while..

Lame Lambert

Fire Lou
Mar 5, 2015
Oh - So you don't get that either? Gosh I thought you had some semblance of cognitive skills.

Anyway because you seem like a really nice guy, let me help you out...We we're never going to win with charles wang as owner the way the Jets are never going to win with the Johnsons as owners. Cheer (or complain about the GM/coach) all you want, but spending money on mismanaged teams is simply throwing your money away unless you don't care if your team wins a championship.
Now tweet about it and post a link to your own tweet. That should pretty much cover it all!

majormet

Nov 12, 2009
Dix Hills, NY
As much I kind of like this trade if it leads to a better asset... I do think Toews is going to be a 40 point plus scorer in that system with those players.

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013

giphy.gif

steveat

Jun 4, 2011
Barzal is the benchmark for younger stars when negotiating their next contracts

also, on multiple podcasts, people have mentioned that the high-end players will get normal market rates..it's everyone else that will get a pay cut, especially the further down the food chain you go.

Seph

Sep 5, 2002
Oregon
Visit site
Anyone know what happened to the guy that made a bet for $100 that Sorokin wouldn't sign with the Islanders about two days before he signed? He ever pay up or did he just change user names/disappear?

Anyways betting on a discussion message board seems pretty silly to me.

Reactions: Strummergas

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
Anyone know what happened to the guy that made a bet for $100 that Sorokin wouldn't sign with the Islanders about two days before he signed? He ever pay up or did he just change user names/disappear?

I'm about to be a million dollars richer in a few weeks so shut your mouth. :laugh:

Last edited:
Reactions: Seph

Scramble

Dec 22, 2013
Long Island, NY

I bet you $1,000 he never shows his face again

Reactions: Seph

periferal

Jul 5, 2007
If he signs for less then you can't post your whining crap for a month on here so basically you take a month off. If he signs for more then I'll take a month vacation.

I'd gladly fall on the sword for everyone to shut you up for a while..

Either you'd rather whine about me or you don't know how to use the ignore button, but how stupid is it that you need to win a bet for the very thing you could have this very moment.

periferal

Jul 5, 2007
Now tweet about it and post a link to your own tweet. That should pretty much cover it all!

Distract all you want, but fact remains you thought that now that the Isles traded Toews that they could take on salary to improve the team. Instead of owning your lack of understanding and knowledge of the cap, you decided to attack me.

periferal

Jul 5, 2007

Well anytime you want to quote that movie you get a thumbs up from me. So :thumbu:

Now want to make it a dead serious $100 that Barzal gets at least 7M a season starting this year regardless of how long the contract runs?

BelovedIsles

Oct 22, 2005
This was my analysis to the Avs' board:

This is a 'win-win' for both teams, his trade makes NYI better by subsequent moves and the return was better than most D men. Whomever on the main board is making Toews out to be superior than he is, well, I'll tell you my unbiased POV. He was one of my favorite Islanders, drafted and developed. Calvin deHaan was deemed expendable by management b/c Toews was next in line. CDH is a better defensive D man, BTW. I've followed Toews' career since Bridgeport.

Toews is a 'rangy,' useful #4 D man, his straight-ahead speed is thoroughbred-like; ask him to challenge MacK. His mobility allows him to cut off plays quickly; thus, his gap control is his best defensive ability. He has a long reach, which enables him to deflect pucks away, stick check on simple plays. On more complex defensive plays, he doesn't have the defensive IQ to perceive and react. His coverage is either lazy or not cognizant of the threat. He is inconsistent in his reads around the net especially. His outlet passes tend to 'look' lazy; instead, he carries the puck up. Further, weak clears, *blind passes (annoying), weak passes, fumbles the puck; creating turnovers. He's big enough to pin guys along the boards, though I've always wanted to see more physicality, as he lost board battles. They look like half-assed pins, but he compensates by using his reach. He made a few egregious turnovers that cost NYI games in the playoffs, however, he's usually solid, yet not spectacular. I think he has more upside in his D game, though it's small. He's an older RFA and has a lot of seasoning already.

That said, he's a redundancy on the Avs' blueline, IMHO. You have Makar, Girard, Mack, and on occasion Johnson moving the puck forward. IMHO, the Avs needed a shutdown, gritty D man like Hamonic, or a better Schenn/Bogosian/Ian Cole. Not another transition D man (Toews) who isn't as good as Makar, Girard et al.

Offensively, when Devon sees open ice, he takes it. Noah Dobson has the same tendency, a quicker, more aggressive Pietrangelo, but raw; that's, in part, why DT was expendable. For example, the opponent will be changing, Toews recognizes and races up the ice to create a play. IMHO, this is his best gift, his awareness to take advantage of open ice and his N-S speed (again, the Avs have that already). Further, he has a sneaky wrister from the point; hard, pretty accurate. He can pick spots 30% *if he has the time. Most often, he's just throwing at the net; if the Avs are in the playoffs he will do the same, with less time and space. That said, give him a lane, with some space, roughly 1 out of 5 he'll score. I've never seen him take a slapper.

Anyway, that's all I got.

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
Well anytime you want to quote that movie you get a thumbs up from me. So :thumbu:

Now want to make it a dead serious $100 that Barzal gets at least 7M a season starting this year regardless of how long the contract runs?

I thought $1,000,000 was pretty serious.

As previously mentioned, I don't bet on sports, ever.

Lame Lambert

Fire Lou
Mar 5, 2015
Distract all you want, but fact remains you thought that now that the Isles traded Toews that they could take on salary to improve the team. Instead of owning your lack of understanding and knowledge of the cap, you decided to attack me.
That’s not what I said, that’s the way you interpreted it. If Lou uses those picks to help move Boychuk (which was reported right after the Toews trade) we will have cap space to improve the offense. There are several other moves on the table that can clear cap as well.

All I said was going into next season with the same roster minus Toews is an absolute failure of an offseason. The off season isn’t over yet, so I’m reserving judgement.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011

Yeah, that was pretty apparent when Vegas got a lone 3rd rd pick for Schmidt later in the day. Lou did very well here to net 2 , 2nd rd picks. I don't want to belittle Toews here, and I am not really. But as I said in the GDT's in the playoffs, I thought he was the weakest D on the Isles, which coincidentally shows he was expendable. I clearly see him as a #5 or #6 on deep D. I don't want to be too cold here, but Dobson is going to make people forget about him pretty quickly. Infact I have forgotten him already. Time to move on.

Reactions: YearlyLottery

Kevin27NYI

Aug 5, 2009
I also think Leddy having a strong playoffs made it ok for these guys to move on from Toews

Frankie41987

Feb 1, 2007
Kings Park
Two 2nds may very well be a good return in this market but that doesn't change that I'm upset about it. Lou said himself the goal was to keep all the RFA's and we weren't able to do that. With an aging team whose core is made of mostly 30 year olds on longer term contracts, you want to be able to sign the younger guys and move out the older guys. Would have much rather have Toews than Komarov, Johnson and Hickey (6.5 million right there in contracts that I didn't like from day 1).

Also, are we really going to start to pretend that Toews was always overrated and we didn't really like or need him anyway?

Last edited:
Reactions: Newsworthy

YearlyLottery

The Pooch Report
Feb 7, 2013
South Carolina
Two 2nds may very well be a good return in this market but that doesn't change that I'm upset about it. Lou said himself the goal was to keep all the RFA's and we weren't able to do that. With an aging team whose core is made of mostly 30 year olds on longer term contracts, you want to be able to sign the younger guys and move out the older guys. Would have much rather have Toews than Komarov, Johnson and Hickey (6.5 million right there in contracts that I didn't like from day 1).

Also, are we really going to start to pretend that Toews was always overrated and we didn't really like or need him anyway?

I don't get the Johnston hate. From what I understand the Isles can send him down and his entire contract does not count against the cap. He did not stop anything regarding Toews.

Reactions: MJF

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
I don't get the Johnston hate. From what I understand the Isles can send him down and his entire contract does not count against the cap. He did not stop anything regarding Toews.

That is correct. His contract, and any contract at $1M is a complete non-issue. I believe there's a rule on how many contracts you can bury in the AHL but I don't recall what it is, maybe someone else knows, but his deal isn't a problem at all.

Reactions: YearlyLottery

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad