Confirmed with Link: Toews to Avs for 2021 and 2022 2nd rd picks.

ScaredStreit

May 5, 2006
Tampa, FL
it is not only that we would have +3m, but every other team also would have +3m more to spend and therefore unloading players would be easier under normal circumstances with higher cap this year

Toews was easier to move because he has value. Hickey and Komarov are expensive anchors...do you really think they'd be easy to move in a normal off-season?

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
Toews was easier to move because he has value. Hickey and Komarov are expensive anchors...do you really think they'd be easy to move in a normal off-season?
If the other team also has added flexibility under the cap, then yes on Komarov, no on Hickey.

Komarov yes because he was still playing regularly in the NHL and there's always a young team on the cusp of the playoffs looking for an intangibles guy for the room (Kyle Dubas just signed a boatload of them). Hickey no because of his concussion history and the fact that he couldn't make the Islanders and then missed practically all of the season in Bridgeport due to injury.

buud

Ping Pong Predator
Oct 3, 2017
43N -79
it is not only that we would have +3m, but every other team also would have +3m more to spend and therefore unloading players would be easier under normal circumstances with higher cap this year
agreed. probably about 75% of the teams are dealing with cap issues, that aren't the norm. it's not like all the GM's knew ahead of time and adjusted, while sleepy Lou was in denial.

as you said, Lou has been good. and honestly, i think his reputation is a big part of his success. players like him, because he tells it like it is. brings a bit more enthusiasm to the team, as well as the prospects.

and let's not forget his biggest coup.

Barry Trotz.

ScaredStreit

May 5, 2006
Tampa, FL
If the other team also has added flexibility under the cap, then yes on Komarov, no on Hickey.

Komarov yes because he was still playing regularly in the NHL and there's always a young team on the cusp of the playoffs looking for an intangibles guy for the room (Kyle Dubas just signed a boatload of them). Hickey no because of his concussion history and the fact that he couldn't make the Islanders and then missed practically all of the season in Bridgeport due to injury.

$3million over 4 years was crazy for Komarov. Thornton signed under a million for one year, can't really compare the two.

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
$3million over 4 years was crazy for Komarov. Thornton signed under a million for one year, can't really compare the two.
Thornton is 41 years old. Leo was 31 when he signed here. Can’t compare the two is right. But I stand by my point. Guys like Komarov as a stand alone example were easier to move before the pause and the cap stagnating. Teams still look for intangibles guys at the TDL. Bogosian to the Lighting and Nate Thompson to the Flyers stand out in my mind. If a team was desperate for a glue guy they would have taken Leo and his 2 remaining years.

buud

Ping Pong Predator
Oct 3, 2017
43N -79
Starting to think Colorado overpaid due to islanders cap situation.
you have to believe that Colorado's picks are going to be very late, so it's not like we're getting a shot at generational players. i bet LL and BT would prefer to keep him, if he would sign on the cheap. still, i think it is a decent return, given the circumstances.

Seph

Sep 5, 2002
Oregon
Visit site
That's not necessarily a good way to manage a team or any company.
Not necessarily a bad one either. Also, it's very possible there was more than one team interested in Toews, so even if the Isles had to move him, it doesn't mean Colorado had all the leverage.

Newsworthy

Jan 28, 2018
USA
We made it to the conference finals and you are all acting like we were a bottom feeder. Toews had to be dealt. We could not afford him, Pulock, and Barzal. Pulock and Barzal are much more valuable. We have Dobson, Aho, Wilde, maybe Greene...one of them will step into that Toews role youre so worried about.

You make it to the conference finals. Doesn't it make sense to now address the team needs that stopped us from advancing further?

At least improve our PP by bringing in a player who can snipe from the point.

Reactions: Quicklime

ML19

Nov 21, 2011
Long Island
You make it to the conference finals. Doesn't it make sense to now address the team needs that stopped us from advancing further?

At least improve our PP by bringing in a player who can snipe from the point.

Two words... salary cap.

If you know a way to move boychuk and Ladd then please enlighten us. Otherwise, it's virtually impossible to sign a sniper

Newsworthy

Jan 28, 2018
USA
Two words... salary cap.

If you know a way to move boychuk and Ladd then please enlighten us. Otherwise, it's virtually impossible to sign a sniper
The Isles could bring in outside help that won't cost us an arm and a leg. Under the radar type moves on the cheap. To me Czarnik is an example of that. Will he make a big difference?
I doubt it. All I'm saying is the more guys you gamble on low risk high reward something may stick. Look at the contract Wenneberg signed for?
No he is t a sniper and yes he usually plays C but those are the type of offensive minded players we seem to lack on the PP.
We already have plenty of grit
No need to keep guys like MDC or resign Martin.
We are stuck with some head stretching contracts for sure.
I'm glad people think this team is fine as is.

Beacon Isles

Feb 20, 2015
Beacon, NY
The Isles could bring in outside help that won't cost us an arm and a leg. Under the radar type moves on the cheap. To me Czarnik is an example of that. Will he make a big difference?
I doubt it. All I'm saying is the more guys you gamble on low risk high reward something may stick. Look at the contract Wenneberg signed for?
No he is t a sniper and yes he usually plays C but those are the type of offensive minded players we seem to lack on the PP.

I dont think anyone thinks this team is fine as is, but be realistic. Unless you can move some salary out, there's no room at the moment to sign anyone other than Barzal and Pulock, if that. Literally ZERO cap space.

If you want to say don't resign Martin, fine, but are you finding a sniper that moves the needle at what Martin would be making?

To not keep MDC, or Komarov, or Clutterbuck, etc. means cutting or trading them. So yeah, we are stuck with some bad contracts. It is what it is at the moment, and bitching about it doesn't make it better.

Reactions: buud and MJF

Newsworthy

Jan 28, 2018
USA
I dont think anyone thinks this team is fine as is, but be realistic. Unless you can move some salary out, there's no room at the moment to sign anyone other than Barzal and Pulock, if that. Literally ZERO cap space.

If you want to say don't resign Martin, fine, but are you finding a sniper that moves the needle at what Martin would be making?

To not keep MDC, or Komarov, or Clutterbuck, etc. means cutting or trading them. So yeah, we are stuck with some bad contracts. It is what it is at the moment, and bitching about it doesn't make it better.

Really, would it matter if the Islanders released MDC?
I don't see what the appeal is. He's on the team because he's cheap but IMO he's a career AHLer.

TMI

Dec 15, 2019
It's pretty clear you don't understand this whole salary cap thing. Saying in one thread they are signing cheap players and dumpster diving, then saying here they can take chances on guys who won't cost an arm and a leg (contradict yourself much?), when the Isles don't even have fingers and toes to spend.. Man, you gotta be just trollin...???

Newsworthy

Jan 28, 2018
USA
It's pretty clear you don't understand this whole salary cap thing. Saying in one thread they are signing cheap players and dumpster diving, then saying here they can take chances on guys who won't cost an arm and a leg (contradict yourself much?), when the Isles don't even have fingers and toes to spend.. Man, you gotta be just trollin...???
A player faster and better than MDC for similar salary shouldn't be difficult to find.

Quicklime

Sep 25, 2006
Denver, CO
A player faster and better than MDC for similar salary shouldn't be difficult to find.

Both - maybe.

One or the other that can work it next to JGP? Possibly; yeah.

Lou had to do what he had to do. That being said, the NTC triplet of Lee/Nelson/Eberle decreases the balance one may feel from the combo of Bailey/Pageau/Lee. (Yes - Lee wears the “C”; not the concern.)

The EXCELLENT center depth does make one wish there were a bottom-6 center *who could be shielded somehow* that could be made expendable for a winger, but we NEED Pageau.

In the end, ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

periferal

Jul 5, 2007
The offseason is still young...

Oh definitely...But doesn't mean it's going to be pretty.

Also keep in mind that the longer the NHL goes without fans the worse it's going to be. NHL teams are mostly gate-driven and all of a sudden even if a team has cap room their ownership may not even let them take on further salary if they don't know there will be 50%+ fans in their buildings in early 2021 to offset some guaranteed losses.

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013

Also keep in mind that the longer the NHL goes without fans the worse it's going to be. NHL teams are mostly gate-driven and all of a sudden even if a team has cap room their ownership may not even let them take on further salary if they don't know there will be 50%+ fans in their buildings in early 2021 to offset some guaranteed losses.

I wonder if some of the warmer weather locations will find ways to generate revenue. Having watch parties outside or something could help generate some kind of revenue for the team. Maybe exclusive content for team subscribers. I'm not expecting anything to replace gate revenue completely but I think there are ways to generate additional revenue instead of just sitting and doing nothing.

I'd sign up to be a team supporter for a low cost just to get some additional access or merchandise or something else.

Reactions: periferal

periferal

Jul 5, 2007

Agree with all, but one of the main reasons of this board is to come on and vent. I mean until there a way to directly reach Lou from here and impact his decision-making venting is going to be a primary function of any message boards.

Newsworthy

Jan 28, 2018
USA

Star talent is a major draw when you consider hockey being gate driven. Merchandise revenue is also very important to financial gain. Winning is another factor. A lot of high powered teams do so well on the road even though their record may not be very impressive. I feel despite the surprise success the last couple of seasons the current roster isn't a big enough draw outside our division. This also affects the amount of Nationally televised games a team warrants.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad