Confirmed with Link: Toews to Avs for 2021 and 2022 2nd rd picks.

Newsworthy

Jan 28, 2018
USA
We made it to the conference finals and you are all acting like we were a bottom feeder. Toews had to be dealt. We could not afford him, Pulock, and Barzal. Pulock and Barzal are much more valuable. We have Dobson, Aho, Wilde, maybe Greene...one of them will step into that Toews role youre so worried about.
Step in and replace are two different animals.

Newsworthy

Jan 28, 2018
USA
Two 2nds may very well be a good return in this market but that doesn't change that I'm upset about it. Lou said himself the goal was to keep all the RFA's and we weren't able to do that. With an aging team whose core is made of mostly 30 year olds on longer term contracts, you want to be able to sign the younger guys and move out the older guys. Would have much rather have Toews than Komarov, Johnson and Hickey (6.5 million right there in contracts that I didn't like from day 1).

Also, are we really going to start to pretend that Toews was always overrated and we didn't really like or need him anyway?
Good points all around.

Chapin Landvogt

Jul 4, 2002
Germany
Also keep in mind that the longer the NHL goes without fans the worse it's going to be. NHL teams are mostly gate-driven and all of a sudden even if a team has cap room their ownership may not even let them take on further salary if they don't know there will be 50%+ fans in their buildings in early 2021 to offset some guaranteed losses.

This will ultimately become critical.

I don't see how any team survives even a truncated 50-game season with restricted numbers of 500+ in attendance. I could be wrong. The NHL may be strong enough in other avenues to hold some type of season basically without people in attendance, but that is only imaginable in another temporary, special-case scenario.

I can say that the German DEL is currently a no-go for this very reason. Everything is in a state of limbo and there's no telling when or if a season will take place. The government has set a limit to how many people are allowed to attend a game and it's a number so small that the DEL teams can't even attempt to make things happen. There's just not enough income from sponsors and nothing like a "league-supporting" television contract that could keep the teams running for the time being.

The minor leagues are set to begin play at the beginning of November, also with regulated attendance, but still scheduled to get enough proceeds from the gates to be able to stay afloat, with a break in action being possible at any point. As you can imagine, a handful of DEL players are either being loaned to the lower league teams or have just downright decided to sign with one for this season.

But to be clear, Germany is currently on path to its next shutdown, so even the minor leagues may be put on hold soon too.

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
Two 2nds may very well be a good return in this market but that doesn't change that I'm upset about it. Lou said himself the goal was to keep all the RFA's and we weren't able to do that. With an aging team whose core is made of mostly 30 year olds on longer term contracts, you want to be able to sign the younger guys and move out the older guys. Would have much rather have Toews than Komarov, Johnson and Hickey (6.5 million right there in contracts that I didn't like from day 1).

Also, are we really going to start to pretend that Toews was always overrated and we didn't really like or need him anyway?
I'm not going to dig up my old posts but I was quite disappointed with Toews regular season. I thought his level of play took a step backwards and I had no problem letting him be a trade chip.

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
This will ultimately become critical.

I don't see how any team survives even a truncated 50-game season with restricted numbers of 500+ in attendance. I could be wrong. The NHL may be strong enough in other avenues to hold some type of season basically without people in attendance, but that is only imaginable in another temporary, special-case scenario.

I can say that the German DEL is currently a no-go for this very reason. Everything is in a state of limbo and there's no telling when or if a season will take place. The government has set a limit to how many people are allowed to attend a game and it's a number so small that the DEL teams can't even attempt to make things happen. There's just not enough income from sponsors and nothing like a "league-supporting" television contract that could keep the teams running for the time being.

The minor leagues are set to begin play at the beginning of November, also with regulated attendance, but still scheduled to get enough proceeds from the gates to be able to stay afloat, with a break in action being possible at any point. As you can imagine, a handful of DEL players are either being loaned to the lower league teams or have just downright decided to sign with one for this season.

But to be clear, Germany is currently on path to its next shutdown, so even the minor leagues may be put on hold soon too.
Until the NHL would have to start refunding NBC and Rogers their money the league will keep delaying the start of the season and knocking games off the schedule until they can get fans in the buildings. But I do think the league will allow the season to begin with limited capacities in arenas.

periferal

Jul 5, 2007
This is crucial for so many reasons...

First - NHL teams will start losing serious money starting next week. With no official start to next season in sight many teams who don't make much money, or even lose it, on a yearly bases have to be scared stiff and don't want to take on any more salary.

In fact this could force more teams to want to dump salaries on to the richer teams. Going to make being a seller just ugly to complete a deal if not nearly impossible.

It's just really ugly out there right now.

Throttle

Sep 22, 2020
This is crucial for so many reasons...

First - NHL teams will start losing serious money starting next week. With no official start to next season in sight many teams who don't make much money, or even lose it, on a yearly bases have to be scared stiff and don't want to take on any more salary.

In fact this could force more teams to want to dump salaries on to the richer teams. Going to make being a seller just ugly to complete a deal if not nearly impossible.

It's just really ugly out there right now.

They all magically survived numerous work stoppages and cancelled full or partial seasons. This may hurt, but it’s not like in 3 months teams are failing and contracting.
The NHL and its teams have plenty of credit lines to tap, if needed.

periferal

Jul 5, 2007
They all magically survived numerous work stoppages and cancelled full or partial seasons. This may hurt, but it’s not like in 3 months teams are failing and contracting.
The NHL and its teams have plenty of credit lines to tap, if needed.

Not the point nor what I was suggesting. Instead of swinging a wrecking ball, try using a pen.

In regular years some teams (like the Senators) have internal budgets independent of the salary cap. Now they may not even spend to that. Also other teams that normally spend higher might not want to take on additional salary. And of course with the cap not going up for at least 2 years (and maybe more) you may see players' salaries drop not to mention it being a real buyer's market for years to come. Whatever happens I think there's going to be a significant change in the landscape of how NHL business is done - Even without teams "contracting."

Newsworthy

Jan 28, 2018
USA
It's pretty clear you don't understand this whole salary cap thing. Saying in one thread they are signing cheap players and dumpster diving, then saying here they can take chances on guys who won't cost an arm and a leg (contradict yourself much?), when the Isles don't even have fingers and toes to spend.. Man, you gotta be just trollin...???
I'm talking about uncovering hidden gems. Great example would be the Rangers trading Brassard. Maybe sign a couple reclamation projects. Many of the players we seem to bring in have limited potential. We obviously aren't getting Hoffman or any proven scorer.

Seph

Sep 5, 2002
Oregon
Visit site

Losing Johnson, Komarov and Hickey only frees up 3.5 mil in actual cap space, though.

Glory Days

Aug 16, 2012
Charlotte
I haven’t read most of this thread but trading Toews is good asset management in addition to creating cap space. Trotz obviously prefers Leddy over Toews. With Pelech and Leddy ahead of him Toews was going to cost too much to be a 3rd pairing D. It is also reasonable to assume the Isles were not going to protect Toews from the expansion draft. IMO Trotz values Mayfield on the PK over Toews on the PP. So instead of potentially losing Toews for nothing they turned him into draft picks.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad