Toews the new Scott Gomez?

Status
Not open for further replies.

bobermay

Mar 6, 2009
Fredericton
Makes 10 mil a year, has won 3 cups... Why would he care about being the best he could be anymore? He's just enjoying the rest of his "ride" now.

Pez68

Mar 18, 2010
Chicago, IL
Makes 10 mil a year, has won 3 cups... Why would he care about being the best he could be anymore? He's just enjoying the rest of his "ride" now.

Perfect example of the people I'm referring to. Yeah, he just doesn't care anymore. That's totally the type of player he is.

bobermay

Mar 6, 2009
Fredericton
Perfect example of the people I'm referring to. Yeah, he just doesn't care anymore. That's totally the type of player he is.

Not saying he doesn't try/care when he plays... but I think you'd be kidding yourself if you don't think that making "big bucks" doesn't mentally influence some players and their work ethic. (mostly in the offseason)

Pez68

Mar 18, 2010
Chicago, IL
Not saying he doesn't try/care... but I think you'd be kidding yourself if you don't think that making "big bucks" doesn't mentally influence some players and their work ethic.

Some players? Sure. What, exactly, would make you think that applies to Toews?

He got paid after the 2010 cup. Went out and won another in 2013. Signed this new contract in 2014. Went out and won a cup in 2015. You're off your meds if you think the issue is his work ethic. I'd also say you don't know much about an athlete's mindset or competitiveness, either.

The guys that lose their work ethic after signing a big contract, especially in the NHL, are few and far between... Again, his struggles have absolutely nothing to do with how hard he is working.

Hawksfan2828

Mar 1, 2007
Libertyville, IL
McDavid will sign for $10m+ but that's assuming he's going to be one of if not the best player in the NHL. Toews will be making the same as potentially a 50 point player and you think that's going to look good?

When was $6.5m among the the highest paid players in the NHL? That was a looong time ago.

It's not going to be "just McDavid"..... McDavid will get the max under the CBA.

McDavid is going to get 13+.

6.5 per was reserved for the best players in the league like 6-7 years back.

Look at a guy like Brian Campbell for reference.

Hell, look at Wade Redden and Scott Gomez while you're at it...

bobermay

Mar 6, 2009
Fredericton
Some players? Sure. What, exactly, would make you think that applies to Toews?

He got paid after the 2010 cup. Went out and won another in 2013. Signed this new contract in 2014. Went out and won a cup in 2015. You're off your meds if you think the issue is his work ethic. I'd also say you don't know much about an athlete's mindset or competitiveness, either.

The guys that lose their work ethic after signing a big contract, especially in the NHL, are few and far between... Again, his struggles have absolutely nothing to do with how hard he is working.

I think it applies to Toews based off of what he's been showing so far this season...

Look, every players are different, and several factors can influence a players productivity. I'm not pretending to know Toews, but its generally known that this season has been significantly worse than most of his previous seasons played in the NHL. There has got to be a reason for this.

It is generally well known that many players do decline after contract years... if you don't believe me, give this a read and put more research into it instead of pointing fingers and throwing jabs.
https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2014/01/140122170622.htm

Blackhawks

Jul 25, 2007
His shooting percentage is 6.3%. That is not sustainable and is almost 9% below his career average. At some point he will go on a run and the puck will start going in. Probably in bunches.

He has 28 goals in each of the three seasons prior to this one. His assist totals were down last season, mostly because of Hossa's struggles to score. The "horrible decline in his performance" people keep referencing isn't based on reality. He's still playing well, the puck just isn't going in the net. He was also hurt this season, which contributed to his struggles to score.

This is very similar to Hossa last season, when he shot 6.8%. He wasn't washed up either, which is obvious by the fact that he is currently 7th in goal scoring in the entire NHL...

Toews is, and will be, fine. Only people that really don't understand hockey are bashing him.

You must not be watching the games if you think "the puck is just not going in"

playasRus

Mar 21, 2009
I think it applies to Toews based off of what he's been showing so far this season...

It is generally well known that many players do decline after contract years... if you don't believe me, give this a read and put more research into it instead of pointing fingers and throwing jabs.
https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2014/01/140122170622.htm

Except that he signed his contract 2 years ago, not this past summer. AND he also delivered a third Cup after signing that big paycheque, while leading the team in scoring in regular season, and tied 2nd in playoff scoring.

Hardly can say he declined after signing his contract.

Mulletman

Feb 23, 2013
Well I think we can all agree that Toews will get less points this year than the 58 points he had last year. So that's two seasons in a row of subpar play from Toews.

I have a feeling that Toews' road to a inevitable buyout will be some of the most hilarious fun we'll ever have here on HF.

Satastic

Nazi punks **** off
Sep 12, 2014
Riverbank, CA
Well I think we can all agree that Toews will get less points this year than the 58 points he had last year. So that's two seasons in a row of subpar play from Toews.

I have a feeling that Toews' road to a inevitable buyout will be some of the most hilarious fun we'll ever have here on HF.

I'll never say never (Lecavalier is a good reason why) but I Would be very surprised if they buy out that contract.

Individual 1

Jan 25, 2012
You are one of the people he is speaking of in his last sentence.

Well his shot totals are down, from 2009-10 to 2013-14
Toews stats are 338GP 317 points 956 shots 2.8/game

This season and last he has averaged 2.3 shots/game
106GP 72 points 243 shots

Over a full season at a 15% shooting percentage like the guy mentioned that is 6 goals.

NJDevils17

Going Up?
Apr 21, 2013
Raleigh
Toews' contract doesn't hurt until the Blackhawks are no longer one of the best teams in the league. He is a shutdown center and even if he is overpaid, he is exactly who you want leading the team in the playoffs. It's not like it's unearned.

Lehkonen4Calder

Feb 24, 2015
He's not going anywhere. No one will ever wear #19 for the Hawks again, and there will be a statue outside the United Center less than 5 years after he finishes his career that he spent entirely in Chicago.

The franchise knows he is the reason they went from the bottom to the top. They know he is the reason there are 3 Cup banners hanging in the rafters. They never paid Toews for his regular season. They pay him for what he does when it matters. Few in sports have been as important to multiple championship teams as Jonathan Toews has.

Last year was proof of his importance. He wasn't good, neither were the Hawks. On the same hand, Kane had a career year, yet couldn't make the Hawks successful .Nerds need to leave the basement and stop relying on stats. There are 30 GM's in the league that would take Toews, his current play and his contract in a heartbeat.

Not sure about that one:laugh:

H a w k s*

May 18, 2012
These responses... If you put Toews in Anisimov's role between Panarin and Kane he would certainly outscore Anisimov over a full season. But that would make the Hawks easier to shut down with only one scary line. Quenneville relies on him a lot as a shutdown guy and he is a beast. He stands out even on Team Canada.

Disagree strongly, Anisimov is the perfect center for a guy like Kane a big guy that creates space with his size but still has plenty of finish to his game.

Toews needs the puck to be most effective, he's a better set up guy than a goal scorer. That why he was consistent placed with guys like saad and sharp along with Hossa.

Now when the "nuclear option" was most effective it was with a guy like bickell or Byfluglien who while had some finish were best at creating space by being that extreme bull in a china shop that really didn't need the puck while Toews and Kane were basically handling the puck the majority of the time.

CokenoPepsi

Oct 28, 2016
He's not going anywhere. No one will ever wear #19 for the Hawks again, and there will be a statue outside the United Center less than 5 years after he finishes his career that he spent entirely in Chicago.

The franchise knows he is the reason they went from the bottom to the top. They know he is the reason there are 3 Cup banners hanging in the rafters. They never paid Toews for his regular season. They pay him for what he does when it matters. Few in sports have been as important to multiple championship teams as Jonathan Toews has.

Last year was proof of his importance. He wasn't good, neither were the Hawks. On the same hand, Kane had a career year, yet couldn't make the Hawks successful .Nerds need to leave the basement and stop relying on stats. There are 30 GM's in the league that would take Toews, his current play and his contract in a heartbeat.

How do you explain his poor 2010 final showing and generally terrible (from offense) showing in 2013? Shocker the Hawks still won the Cups thanks to Kane willing them

CokenoPepsi

Oct 28, 2016
Disagree strongly, Anisimov is the perfect center for a guy like Kane a big guy that creates space with his size but still has plenty of finish to his game.

Toews needs the puck to be most effective, he's a better set up guy than a goal scorer. That why he was consistent placed with guys like saad and sharp along with Hossa.

Now when the "nuclear option" was most effective it was with a guy like bickell or Byfluglien who while had some finish were best at creating space by being that extreme bull in a china shop that really didn't need the puck while Toews and Kane were basically handling the puck the majority of the time.

Toews hasn't done a thing playing with them yet

Hawksfan2828

Mar 1, 2007
Libertyville, IL
Overpaid. Overhyped. At $10.5M, CHI should've held onto Saad and rebuilt around Kane & Panarin.

Hawks signed Panarin after Toews signed.

Also, I take Anisimov and Panarin over Saad any day of the week - and I'm a huge Saad fan.

Bowman was right for signing Toews and trading Saad for Anisimov, Dano + and signing Panarin.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad