Toews the new Scott Gomez?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lehkonen4Calder

Feb 24, 2015
This guy has the worst contract in the entire league. He got 58 point last year and start this year with 2 point in 7 games. He's paid 10.5m till 2023 and is on a steady decline. I can't think of any worst contract out there

TheMule93

On a mule rides the swindler
May 26, 2015
Ontario
Toews has certainly disappointed ever since signing that contract, on the flip wide Kane has exceeded all expectations

You win some and you lose some i guess

Leafs87

Mr. Steal Your Job
Aug 10, 2010
Toronto
You can't think of any worst? Here let me help you with a couple.

Dustin Brown
David Clarkson
Nathan Horton
Joffrey Lupul
Clayton Stoner
Dave Bolland

A couple that will start looking real ugly soon plus Toews is very important to the Hawks who are using him primarily as a shut down guy this season. His points would be higher plus he gets chances.

TML1967

Jul 20, 2010
So...

Where does Toews rank now? Id still have him as a top 20 F/D.
Not saying the contract has good value right now, but he has been playing really well and making smart plays. Points just arent happening, which I fault at least a good amount to his linemates and usage.

mashedpotato

full stack.
Jan 10, 2012

Dustin Brown
David Clarkson
Nathan Horton
Joffrey Lupul
Clayton Stoner
Dave Bolland

A couple that will start looking real ugly soon plus Toews is very important to the Hawks who are using him primarily as a shut down guy this season. His points would be higher plus he gets chances.

From an observational view - this list is an incredibly narrow view of comparables to a player like Toews.

His value isn't measured purely in production (I'm assuming). His work ethic and leadership might possibly be a factor.

Skinnyjimmy08

WorldTraveler
Mar 30, 2012
hes a good leader and proven winner... but IMO that still doesn't make up for the amount of insane cash hes making.

he deserves a huge contract, but not this massive

Lehkonen4Calder

Feb 24, 2015

Dustin Brown
David Clarkson
Nathan Horton
Joffrey Lupul
Clayton Stoner
Dave Bolland

Brown is a good one. The thing with Toews is if his production continu to decline how this contract will look in 4 years? He has 7 years left lol

Ezekial

Cheap Pizza, Okay Hockey
Sponsor
Nov 22, 2015
Chicago
So...

Where does Toews rank now? Id still have him as a top 20 F/D.
Not saying the contract has good value right now, but he has been playing really well and making smart plays. Points just arent happening, which I fault at least a good amount to his linemates and usage.

Hard to pick up points with the league leader in goals and a 57% Offensive Zone start%, eh?

:sarcasm:

Mikeshane

Jan 15, 2013
Ya he plays way too much hard hockey to last for that contract. Kane has the advantage of floating around on the perimeter so he'll be able to maintain for longer.

TML1967

Jul 20, 2010
Hard to pick up points with the league leader in goals and a 57% Offensive Zone start%, eh?

:sarcasm:

haha Nice! Didnt mean just this year. When people compare him to Kane I think its a bit unfair.
Panarin has been a revelation, but that line is much worse defensively.

Five Alarm Fire

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 17, 2009
Mike Richards maybe? Both seemingly got worn out by their late 20s, but I fully expect Toews to turn it around.

ViD

#CBJNeedHugs
Sponsor
Apr 21, 2007
Blue Jackets Area
haha Nice! Didnt mean just this year. When people compare him to Kane I think its a bit unfair.
Panarin has been a revelation, but that line is much worse defensively.

Didn't they try to separate the Party line to put Panarin with Toews in pre season ? It didn't work as far as I remember

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
It was always an insane contract. But what could Chicago do? After 3 cups Toews could have asked for anything. You gotta give it to him.

It's gonna look bad for sure. His numbers are unlikely to go much beyond 50-60 points unless Chicago miraculously find him a new prime Hossa and some kid like Saad again. However if they win another cup with Toews around, it will be worth it. That's looking more and more doubtful though.

CanadianPensFan1

Jun 13, 2014
Canada
It was always an insane contract. But what could Chicago do? After 3 cups Toews could have asked for anything. You gotta give it to him.

It's gonna look bad for sure. His numbers are unlikely to go much beyond 50-60 points unless Chicago miraculously find him a new prime Hossa and some kid like Saad again. However if they win another cup with Toews around, it will be worth it. That's looking more and more doubtful though.

This. 100% this.

SLAPSHOT723

QU! Bobcats!
Jan 14, 2008
Long Island/NYC
www.nhl.com

Completely agree with this.

Toews won them 3 Cups, he deserved to cash in with Kane. Toews' game was also more likely to decline sooner than Kane's. What they need is a cheap ELC productive center. Hopefully Nick Schamltz can make up for some of the lack of production Toews has.

BruinsBtn

Dec 24, 2006
Even peak Toews wasn't worth $10.5m. There was no way that could have been a good contract.

Balance

Jesus loves you!
May 20, 2013
Intangibles+Good ol Canadian boy

Lol Toews must have been laughing to the bank. A guy who has never been a top 15 forward in the league getting that type of contract.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
This guy has the worst contract in the entire league. He got 58 point last year and start this year with 2 point in 7 games. He's paid 10.5m till 2023 and is on a steady decline. I can't think of any worst contract out there
That's funny, because i can't think of a worse comparison.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• USA vs Sweden
    USA vs Sweden
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $1,217.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Finland vs Czechia
    Finland vs Czechia