News Article: Toews says he’s NOT a vegan

RememberTheRoar

“I’m not as worried about the 5-on-5 scoring.”
Oct 21, 2015
That's me in the corner
Most of my read meat consumption comes in the form of thinly sliced roast, soaked in juice, piled on bread, re-soaked in juice, then topped with some mix of peppers and shit.

At least that was the case when I lived back home.

Reactions: ChiHawks10 and RayP

ChiHawks10

Jul 7, 2009
Chicago 'Burbs
I'll eat a good cut of steak anywhere from medium-rare to medium-well. I'm not picky as long as it ain't burnt! Take your snobdom elsewhere. It has no place with steak!

That and bbq are where it definitely has a place.

Medium rare steak = more flavor of the beef, and less dried out. One of the same reasons my steaks gets seasoned with only salt and pepper most the time, and get a small dollop of butter on top while they rest, and that's it. I like to actually taste the beef flavor. A steak well done is dried out and flavorless, with the exception of whatever seasoning was put on it. It's like chewing bark. That's obviously just my opinion. I have to make my fiance's well-done. :cry: But for her, it's about the texture, and nothing more. She hates the texture of beef when it's too red/pink in the middle.

BBQ just sucks if it's not done well(quality), so everyone should be snobby about that.

Pez68

Mar 18, 2010
Chicago, IL
Properly cooked medium and medium-well steaks aren't dried out at all. That's why they have pink in them. ;)

There's a reason I left well done out of that...

ChiHawks10

Jul 7, 2009
Chicago 'Burbs
Too busy driving around in the Steak Police cruiser.
tenor.gif

Reactions: Blue Liner

ChiHawks10

Jul 7, 2009
Chicago 'Burbs
Properly cooked medium and medium-well steaks aren't dried out at all. That's why they have pink in them. ;)

There's a reason I left well done out of that...

Medium, yes, there's some pink. Medium-well... not really any pink left.

Medium-well
Medium-Well-new.jpg

Medium

original

Medium-well is still chewy and lacking in tenderness, IMO.

ChiHawks10

Jul 7, 2009
Chicago 'Burbs
Well made chopped chicken thighs are so underrated.

Thighs are so good, as are legs. I'm a dark meat guy when it comes to poultry, so I feel ya on that.

And I still love me some wings. The breast is probably my least favorite part of the chicken, honestly. Especially when it's not cooked well.

Pez68

Mar 18, 2010
Chicago, IL
I still go by the Outback Steakhouse chart of doneness(most upper-end steakhouses are the same, in my experience).

15.jpg

Medium well is half pink, half brown, IMO.

RememberTheRoar

Oct 21, 2015
That's me in the corner
Still missing out on pork ribs and/or pulled pork. Both are so delicious.

For me it basically goes:

1A. Brisket
1B. Pulled Pork
2. Ribs
3. Chicken

I’d put pulled pork 1 and brisket 2, for most places. There are a few who have kickass brisket.

Also, have you ever had burnt ends from Black Dog in Champaign?

ChiHawks10

Jul 7, 2009
Chicago 'Burbs
I’d put pulled pork 1 and brisket 2, for most places. There are a few who have kickass brisket.

Also, have you ever had burnt ends from Black Dog in Champaign?

I have not. I don't make it down to Champaign very much... :laugh:

Pulled pork will go 1A and brisket 1B if the pulled pork is really well done. So many places f*** up brisket, so it does happen quite a bit where I'll like the pulled pork more.

ChiHawks10

Jul 7, 2009
Chicago 'Burbs
I still go by the Outback Steakhouse chart of doneness(most upper-end steakhouses are the same, in my experience).

15.jpg

Medium well is half pink, half brown, IMO.

I guess. I still don't know why anyone would go over medium on a steak. I've even tried to convince Maria to get over the texture thing because the steak is so much better when it's medium or medium rare.

RememberTheRoar

Oct 21, 2015
That's me in the corner
I have not. I don't make it down to Champaign very much... :laugh:

Pulled pork will go 1A and brisket 1B if the pulled pork is really well done. So many places **** up brisket.

If you ever go there, definitely make your way to the restaurant. I believe they have a location in the middle of downtown now. Last time I was there, they only had a small shack in Urbana. People would line up down the sidewalk waiting for them to open.

Reactions: ChiHawks10

ChiHawks10

Jul 7, 2009
Chicago 'Burbs
A really good brisket blows pulled pork away... Hands down.

Problem being that most places don't make a really good brisket. Most the places I've tried around here dry it out beyond belief. Whereas they'll all have solid pulled pork because it's so hard to f*** up.

RememberTheRoar

Oct 21, 2015
That's me in the corner
Problem being that most places don't make a really good brisket. Most the places I've tried around here dry it out beyond belief. Whereas they'll all have solid pulled pork because it's so hard to **** up.

I can’t stand most briskets for that reason. I also hate sliced brisket instead of chopped brisket.

Reactions: ChiHawks10

Pez68

Mar 18, 2010
Chicago, IL
I just think beef has more natural flavor than pork. When BBQing pork, you're really not getting "pork" flavor. The flavor is almost entirely whatever you rubbed, smoked, and smothered it in. With brisket, you still absolutely taste the beef. Unless of course they f*** it up and overcook it.

Most BBQ places quite obviously don't rest their brisket. I've recently figured out that resting the brisket as long as humanly possible is KEY to a great brisket.

ChiHawks10

Jul 7, 2009
Chicago 'Burbs
I can’t stand most briskets for that reason. I also hate sliced brisket instead of chopped brisket.

Sliced is ok for me. Chopped is my preference. But again. I've yet to find somewhere that doesn't dry out the sliced beyond belief within about 45 mins of my house. Burnt ends, though... mmm.

I'm getting hungry now. :laugh:

I just think beef has more natural flavor than pork. When BBQing pork, you're really not getting "pork" flavor. The flavor is almost entirely whatever you rubbed, smoked, and smothered it in. With brisket, you still absolutely taste the beef. Unless of course they **** it up and overcook it.

Pork definitely has flavor. If you can't taste the flavor in the pulled pork, you should get it somewhere else. Or do a better job smoking it. ;)

migi

Feb 25, 2015
Sooo.. is Toews vegan or not?

At least we all know what you are. Climate change is on you. We need to eat less meat to make world great again!

piteus

Dec 20, 2015
NYC
Sooo.. is Toews vegan or not?

At least we all know what you are. Climate change is on you. We need to eat less meat to make world great again!
Climate change simple. When you have 8 billion humans trying to survive, it's going to change the earth. If you want to stop climate change, cull humans. Otherwise, nature will do it itself. That's the simple truth.

Well, that took a dark turn. It's all Toews fault.

Reactions: migi and ChiHawks10

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad