News Article: Toews says he’s NOT a vegan

Pez68

Mar 18, 2010
Chicago, IL
A lot of athletes cut red meat out of their diet. Cutting out saturated FAT in any diet is a good thing. Fish and Chicken is a good source of substitute protein.

If you read chimpanzee research, red meat is only eaten as a treat. It's so high in calories and saturated fat, they shouldn't eat it every day. I would think it's the same for humans. Most Americans can eat less red meat.

Doesn't most medical research now refute the whole "saturated fats are bad for you" crap that came about in the early 20th century? Granted, I'm not a cardiologist, or nutritionist(I have stayed at a Holiday Inn Express before, though), but most of what I have read in recent times states there is absolutely no association between saturated fats and heart disease. Saturated fats also raise good cholesterol?

ChiHawks10

Jul 7, 2009
Chicago 'Burbs
A lot of athletes cut red meat out of their diet. Cutting out saturated FAT in any diet is a good thing. Fish and Chicken is a good source of substitute protein.

If you read chimpanzee research, red meat is only eaten as a treat. It's so high in calories and saturated fat, they shouldn't eat it every day. I would think it's the same for humans. Most Americans can eat less red meat.

Why is fat randomly capitalized here? Donald, is that you? :laugh:

piteus

Dec 20, 2015
NYC
Doesn't most medical research now refute the whole "saturated fats are bad for you" crap that came about in the early 20th century? Granted, I'm not a cardiologist, or nutritionist(I have stayed at a Holiday Inn Express before, though), but most of what I have read in recent times states there is absolutely no association between saturated fats and heart disease. Saturated fats also raise good cholesterol?
Doctors can argue among themselves all they want. I just use common sense.

A hundred thousand years ago, our ancestors were mostly vegetarian. Red meat was a reward due to its high calorie and fat content. Food was a means of survival back then. Now food is an art / leisure activity for most. The intake of excess fats through red meat can't be that good for you. Just think how you feel after a great steak meal. You pay for it the next day. Now think how you feel after a nice salad and the proper amount of well prepared fish. The body feels great the next day.

IMO, red meat should be used as a reward ... not as a food staple. Trust me, I'm a huge red meat fan. However, even I know we should limit our red meat intake. I suspect it's even more imperative for professional athletes.

Blue Liner

Dec 12, 2009
Chicago
Why is fat randomly capitalized here? Donald, is that you? :laugh:

My fat, it's the best fat in the history of fat. The best. Only the best fat. You won't find any better ever. Ever. Fake News will say otherwise but they're the worst people. The worst. Not like my fat, which is the best. And it's going to be yuuuuge. Yuuuge fat gains. Believe me.

Pez68

Mar 18, 2010
Chicago, IL

A hundred thousand years ago, our ancestors were mostly vegetarian. Red meat was a reward due to its high calorie and fat content. Food was a means of survival back then. Now food is an art / leisure activity for most. The intake of excess fats through red meat can't be that good for you. Just think how you feel after a great steak meal. You pay for it the next day. Now think how you feel after a nice salad and the proper amount of well prepared fish. The body feels great the next day.

IMO, red meat should be used as a reward ... not as a food staple. Trust me, I'm a huge red meat fan. However, even I know we should limit our red meat intake. I suspect it's even more imperative for professional athletes.

As long as I don't gorge myself, I actually feel great after a steak... I'm typically eating that steak with a potato and other vegetables, as well. Half the time with a salad. I certainly don't notice a difference between eating grilled chicken, seafood, or pork, and eating a good portion of steak.

Burgers are a completely different story...

A nice salad and fish? I'm typically hungry right away after that, and if I have a hockey game the next day, I feel like I'm lacking energy. Gotta have the carbs.

Moderation is the key to eating pretty much anything...steak included. Like you said, common sense.

BobbyJet

I am Canadian
Oct 27, 2010
Dundas, Ontario. Can
urn up

I agree for the most part, however pro athletes become mega calories on a daily basis hence can tolerate, and in fact need, much more high protein red meat than the general public.

ChiHawks10

Jul 7, 2009
Chicago 'Burbs
My fat, it's the best fat in the history of fat. The best. Only the best fat. You won't find any better ever. Ever. Fake News will say otherwise but they're the worst people. The worst. Not like my fat, which is the best. And it's going to be yuuuuge. Yuuuge fat gains. Believe me.

Now you have me wondering if you or piteus is The Donald... :eek:

If I hadn't met you before, I'd be tempted to believe he actually typed that. :laugh:

Blue Liner

Dec 12, 2009
Chicago
As long as I don't gorge myself, I actually feel great after a steak... I'm typically eating that steak with a potato and other vegetables, as well. Half the time with a salad. I certainly don't notice a difference between eating grilled chicken, seafood, or pork, and eating a good portion of steak.

Burgers are a completely different story...

A nice salad and fish? I'm typically hungry right away after that, and if I have a hockey game the next day, I feel like I'm lacking energy. Gotta have the carbs.

Moderation is the key to eating pretty much anything...steak included. Like you said, common sense.

Yeah, there's a big difference between the 6 or 8oz sirloin you're having with veggies, potato, etc and the 18oz strip you're getting at Morton's for your birthday dinner.

Reactions: ChiHawks10

Pez68

Mar 18, 2010
Chicago, IL
urn up

I agree for the most part, however pro athletes become mega calories on a daily basis hence can tolerate, and in fact need, much more high protein red meat than the general public.

That's how I feel too. When I'm playing 3-4 games a week, even at recreational levels, I need to eat a ton of food to not feel physically drained by the end of the week.

A nice 12 oz. ribeye, or 10 oz. filet a couple nights during the week does wonders.

piteus

Dec 20, 2015
NYC
You guys are right. Red meat in moderation is the key. That said, as long as Toews is getting the proper protein through other means ... no one should be complaining. I think it was a blown up story by people looking for answers to his diminished play.

Reactions: Blue Liner

ChiHawks10

Jul 7, 2009
Chicago 'Burbs
Yeah, there's a big difference between the 6 or 8oz sirloin you're having with veggies, potato, etc and the 18oz strip you're getting at Morton's for your birthday dinner.

I was supposed to be going to Gibson's for my birthday tonight... but my stomach is all f***ed up and I don't know why. Not going to waste that meal on a bad stomach that may or may not keep it down, or may or may not make me miserable afterwards.

Just ate my lunch at work, and my stomach is killing me. :cry:

Don't want that to happen after eating a 22oz Chicago Cut.

Pez68

Mar 18, 2010
Chicago, IL
I'll eat a good cut of steak anywhere from medium-rare to medium-well. I'm not picky as long as it ain't burnt! Take your snobdom elsewhere. It has no place with steak!

piteus

Dec 20, 2015
NYC
I actually eat steaks rare. There's nothing better than dried aged meat in NYC. A nice wedge and sizzling canadian bacon as a starter. Asparagus, mash potatoes, and a good red on the side. Yummy.

Putt Pirate

Dec 15, 2015
I am not a big red meat person. A rare-medium rare 8oz. Fillet is a lot for me. I probably only eat it once every two months. Makes me hot when I sleep For some reason. I guess looking back Indont eat much meat by choice. Just listen to the body.

RayP

Tf
Jan 12, 2011
I am not a big red meat person. A rare-medium rare 8oz. Fillet is a lot for me. I probably only eat it once every two months. Makes me hot when I sleep For some reason. I guess looking back Indont eat much meat by choice. Just listen to the body.

I eat a steak about every other week but it’s pretty much the only beef product I eat. Everything else is chicken and fish. Almost never eat pork.

Team ribeye.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad