News Article: Toews says he’s NOT a vegan

RememberTheRoar

“I’m not as worried about the 5-on-5 scoring.”
Oct 21, 2015
That's me in the corner
Figured I’d make this it’s own thread, just to ensure certain posters see it. There were a lot of claims made about this, without proof, over the last few years.

Edit: to be fair, I haven’t listened to the interview yet. So I’m not totally sure if there was other context provided.

ChiHawks10

Jul 7, 2009
Chicago 'Burbs
Figured I’d make this it’s own thread, just to ensure certain posters see it. There were a lot of claims made about this, without proof, over the last few years.

I don't think anyone(for the most part) actually thought he was a vegan. It was more just a running joke people said to be funny. He had talked about how he limited his meat protein intake to fish and chicken, I believe, but I never thought he was a full-blown vegan.

RememberTheRoar

“I’m not as worried about the 5-on-5 scoring.”
Oct 21, 2015
That's me in the corner
I don't think anyone(for the most part) actually thought he was a vegan. It was more just a running joke people said to be funny. He had talked about how he limited his meat protein intake to fish and chicken, I believe, but I never thought he was a full-blown vegan.

Are you sure some didn’t actually believe it? There are some who think a pro bodybuilder plays on the Hawks’ blueline.

DisgruntledHawkFan

Blackhawk Down
Jun 19, 2004
South Side
That’s the part I don’t know, maybe @DisgruntledHawkFan can shed some light on whether he addressed that.

He said he’s not vegan, said he changed his workout routine and that this summer he had to work much harder than in previous years. Didn’t say if he used to be or not.

His favorite cheat meal is pizza. He’s big on fishing. Was kind of a fluff piece.

Reactions: ChiHawks10

clydesdale line

Connor BeJesus
Jan 10, 2012
He said he’s not vegan, said he changed his workout routine and that this summer he had to work much harder than in previous years. Didn’t say if he used to be or not.

His favorite cheat meal is pizza. He’s big on fishing. Was kind of a fluff piece.

Yea... he's back guys.

hawksfan50

Feb 27, 2002
Even if he never gave up fish or chicken...if he abstained during the 3 "off" seasons after our last Cup from beef ...you know...real "meat" then while many of us technically joked about him being vegan was an error in definition...the real question remains. ..has he gone back to beef /steaks etc ..."red meat" to put energy back into his muscles which were limp for 3 seasons ?If he did do thia in addition to his new training regime under a new trainer (why he did not use Paul Goodman before is a mystery since I believe Goodman is the Hawks strength and conditioning coach...which implies that for these 3 seasons he deliberately chose not to use the services of Goodman in Chicago in his summer routine and instead took the advice of someone else ...which obviously was bad advice on how to train overy the summer)...Whatever he changed seems to have worked...Praise The Lord! Our old Johnny is back and we love it...

BobbyJet

I am Canadian
Oct 27, 2010
Dundas, Ontario. Can
Whatever he changed seems to have worked. Our old Johnny is back and we love it...

I think all Hawks fans agree with the bolded but the rest of your post is pure speculation on your part. We may have to wait for the book before we get the real inside story but let's just hope the first 4 games is a true reflection of what we will see from Jonny this season and going forward.

featherhawk

Dec 13, 2006
like some others have said, whatever change he made seems to be working so it don't matter to me.

I will say that I tried to be a vegetarian once when I lived in Asia and although I was getting the recommended protein from veggies I felt that the protein was not the same as meat protein. Seemed to me like my strength was compromised while I tried that and bam when I went back to meat the strength was back.

piteus

Dec 20, 2015
NYC
A lot of athletes cut red meat out of their diet. Cutting out saturated FAT in any diet is a good thing. Fish and Chicken is a good source of substitute protein.

If you read chimpanzee research, red meat is only eaten as a treat. It's so high in calories and saturated fat, they shouldn't eat it every day. I would think it's the same for humans. Most Americans can eat less red meat.

Reactions: BobbyJet

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->