News Article: Toews says he’s NOT a vegan

BK

"Goalie Apologist"
Feb 8, 2011
Minneapolis, MN
That and bbq are where it definitely has a place.

Medium rare steak = more flavor of the beef, and less dried out. One of the same reasons my steaks gets seasoned with only salt and pepper most the time, and get a small dollop of butter on top while they rest, and that's it. I like to actually taste the beef flavor. A steak well done is dried out and flavorless, with the exception of whatever seasoning was put on it. It's like chewing bark. That's obviously just my opinion. I have to make my fiance's well-done. :cry: But for her, it's about the texture, and nothing more. She hates the texture of beef when it's too red/pink in the middle.

BBQ just sucks if it's not done well(quality), so everyone should be snobby about that.

If you want to make a great steak sous vide it then finish it in a cast iron skillet.

I basically sous vide most meats at this point. Cooks it perfectly every time plus you can really infuse some great flavors into what you are cooking.

Reactions: RememberTheRoar

BK

"Goalie Apologist"
Feb 8, 2011
Minneapolis, MN
Sous vide??

It is a french cooking technique.

Definition stolen from wikipedia.

Sous-vide is a method of cooking in which food is placed in a plastic pouch or a glass jar and cooked in a water bath or steam environment for longer than normal cooking times (usually 1 to 7 hours, up to 48 or more in some cases) at an accurately regulated temperature. The temperature is much lower than normally used for cooking, typically around 55 to 60 °C (131 to 140 °F) for meat, higher for vegetables. The intent is to cook the item evenly, ensuring that the inside is properly cooked without overcooking the outside, and to retain moisture.

I have used it to make eveyrthing from steaks to sea bass to ribs to veggies.

Pez68

Mar 18, 2010
Chicago, IL
Interesting.... What's the purpose of cooking this way, aside from the last line? I just grill pretty much everything.

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
What region of Texas has the best brisket?

Austin is really the only city in Texas I want to visit tbh.
not in Austin lol...Austin has good food but more variety and not really known for anything in particular IMO.

any rural regions have been the best for brisket, going towards West Texas or heading more South towards San Antonio you can't miss with either region.

Reactions: RayP

JaegerDice

The mark of my dignity shall scar thy DNA
Dec 26, 2014
This was always a non-story.

Guy decides to come out of his shell, get on social media, show some of his hobbies... like growing vegetables...and people went nuts. He grows his own vegetables, thinks you should know where the food you eat comes from, and works with school programs to help kids eat healthier at a younger age. Which certain subset of the population decided meant 'He's a vegan! He hates meat!'.

The irony is that all the stuff Toews cut out of his diet for health reasons, because they were making him ill, were the same things that athletes without the same negative reactions were cutting out of their diet by choice, to eat 'cleaner'.

Last edited:
Reactions: icekoob

BK

"Goalie Apologist"
Feb 8, 2011
Minneapolis, MN
Interesting.... What's the purpose of cooking this way, aside from the last line? I just grill pretty much everything.

I used to grill but it is now all sous vide and cast iron.

You can get really precise and have a lot of control when cooking with sous vide. The draw back is that is takes longer. You can also really develop flavors with this method.

I also find it easier to cook for large groups as you can spreadsheet and time everything out (I am really anal about providing a great meal for people when they are over).

I will post a picture of a steak I cooked with it.

BK

"Goalie Apologist"
Feb 8, 2011
Minneapolis, MN
75CFB70E-F9C2-4764-9AB8-C3C49B7EDB14.jpeg

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
I am with you, I need more char on my steak I don't like when the fat looks as glossy or shiny, I grill as well - medium rare only- try using one of those grill mats if you haven't yet - big difference for me is I cook my steaks with garlic butter, so on the grill you can keep scooping the butter all over the steak as you cook which you would do in a pan, but now you get the grill marks and flavors as well.

I am not a fan of a lot of these rubs and marinades people use on steaks, but one I have used for a decade that I have yet to find anyone complain about is rubbing A-1 sauce on the steak 30-60 minutes before cooking...the flavor that adds and the tenderness it keeps is insane, even if you don't like the A-1 flavor you really do not taste A-1...try it and let me know what you think! Salt and Pepper for seasoning only for me...

ChiHawks10

Jul 7, 2009
Chicago 'Burbs
I am with you, I need more char on my steak I don't like when the fat looks as glossy or shiny, I grill as well - medium rare only- try using one of those grill mats if you haven't yet - big difference for me is I cook my steaks with garlic butter, so on the grill you can keep scooping the butter all over the steak as you cook which you would do in a pan, but now you get the grill marks and flavors as well.

I am not a fan of a lot of these rubs and marinades people use on steaks, but one I have used for a decade that I have yet to find anyone complain about is rubbing A-1 sauce on the steak 30-60 minutes before cooking...the flavor that adds and the tenderness it keeps is insane, even if you don't like the A-1 flavor you really do not taste A-1...try it and let me know what you think! Salt and Pepper for seasoning only for me...

Most people don't really use a rub/marinade on steaks when grilling them, afaik.

ChiHawks10

Jul 7, 2009
Chicago 'Burbs
oh they do, tons of steak seasoning salts and rubs out there...I have always been around people trying to put crazy **** on steaks for seasoning...I always like it simple and let the meat do the talking...

I don't think it would be "most" people is all. I see people using Weber "Montreal Steak" seasoning or some all-in-one seasoning like that. But I wouldn't consider that a "rub" or a "marinade".

Do people try it? I'm sure. I just don't think "most" people is going to be accurate, and we're likely thinking of different things in terms of rubs and marinades, or going by different definitions of those terms.

Last edited:

RayP

Tf
Jan 12, 2011
I like the sous vide cooking method in general but hate it for steaks. Rather just cook a steak from start to finish on the grill or cast iron.

Reactions: ChiHawks10

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
I don't think it would be "most" people is all. I see people using Weber "Montreal Steak" seasoning or some all-in-one seasoning like that. But I wouldn't consider that a "rub" or a "marinade".

Do people try it? I'm sure. I just don't think "most" people is going to be accurate, and we're likely thinking of different things in terms of rubs and marinades, or going by different definitions of those terms.
yeah, too much effort in this convo hahaha

just seeing if your bro who likes to grill uses the grill mats so he can marinade the steaks in garlic butter as he grills...get the same char/grill marks without the dripping disaster.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->