Confirmed with Link: Toews/Hawks agree that he will not be traded. Health related.

Giovi

Sponsor
Feb 1, 2009
Agreed, but it’s far closer than I would have imagined 6-7 years ago.
There will definitely be more debate surrounding his entry than would have been had his career not taken such a sudden early dip.

Muffinalt

Mar 1, 2016
Hungary
Toews might be the main responsible for this franchise ressurection, not Kane, not Keith, no Corey, not Q. He has been the most important piece during this era, despite the all ups and downs and not being the same for quite a time. He's not good as Kane, nor vigorous as Keith, and maybe he doesn't have Hossa's hockey IQ. But I think he was the glue that made everything works. After all he has written his name in history as the face of the franchise in its most successful period and I belive this is the way he should be remembered by the fanbase.

Toews was the will. The embodiment of will, hence why hes so respected amongst poeple in the actual league.

We've come further, but this is still so undervalued by the average fan. Yet without it, no team ia successful, just look at the Leafs for example.

Truly fortunate Toews enedes up in thr indian head. Amazing guy. I try to draw a lot from his mindset to my life as well.

MarotteMarauder

Jul 23, 2022
The other thing that seems to be overlooked in this thread in talking about Toews' importance during is our lack of centre depth. It is pretty incredible the load that he had to shoulder during his peak.
Through Cup #1 Toews-Sharp-Bolland-Madden were the Centers
Through Cup #2 Toews-Bolland-Frolik-Kruger
For Cup#3 Toews-Shaw-Kruger-Richards

Pretty solid up the middle

Reactions: Behn Wilson

Hawkaholic

Dec 19, 2006
London, Ont.
Through Cup #1 Toews-Sharp-Bolland-Madden were the Centers
Through Cup #2 Toews-Bolland-Frolik-Kruger
For Cup#3 Toews-Shaw-Kruger-Richards

Pretty solid up the middle
Sharp wasn't even a real center, he was forced there because we had nothing else.
Handzus was a center on Cup #2, Frolik was a never a C.
Shaw wasn't a center, Richards was a shell of his former self,

Last edited:

Hawkaholic

Dec 19, 2006
London, Ont.
Pretty sure Sharp was drafted as a center for thr Flyers and played center in their minor league system (almost positive he was a center when they won the Calder Cup). He played wing here after he was traded.
He was a wing here, his entire career outside of that year and a spot start here and there. He wasn't a real center in the NHL.

Reactions: x Tame Impala

Hawkaholic

Dec 19, 2006
London, Ont.
so you agree he was a center at that time. I do disagree we were solid up the middle after that 2010 run.
No, he was a winger forced into the C position. Shaw wasn't a C, but played there, Frolik wasn't a C, but played there, Kane wasn't a C, but played there, etc.

BHawk21

Mar 21, 2022
No, he was a winger forced into the C position. Shaw wasn't a C, but played there, Frolik wasn't a C, but played there, Kane wasn't a C, but played there, etc.
lol your saying it. he was forced to be a center. Making him a center at that time.

Toews was a wing on the 2010 Canadian Olympic team.

Pez68

Mar 18, 2010
Chicago, IL
What an insufferabley stupid argument. All to try and argue, unnecessarily, how important Toews was to the cup wins. As if people are contesting that. Par for the course I suppose.

The Hawks didn't lack center depth. They just lacked a true 2C. They had plenty of guys in those cup wins playing as shutdown centers. Sharp was also a perfectly good 2C in 2010.

BHawk21

Mar 21, 2022
What an insufferabley stupid argument. All to try and argue, unnecessarily, how important Toews was to the cup wins. As if people are contesting that. Par for the course I suppose.

The Hawks didn't lack center depth. They just lacked a true 2C. They had plenty of guys in those cup wins playing as shutdown centers. Sharp was also a perfectly good 2C in 2010.
lol jumps into the argument

Hawkaholic

Dec 19, 2006
London, Ont.

They didn't lack C depth, but didn't have a #2 C...lol

Yes, they had other C's that could help Toews defensively, but they were never "really solid up the middle", thats why Sharp played #2C in 2010, why Handzus played #2C in 2013 and why the corpse of Brad Richards played #2C in 2015.

I'm not trying to argue anything about how important Toews was to our Cups, anyone with a brain knows how important he was. I was arguing the "really solid up the middle" argument. But thanks for coming out.

lol your saying it. he was forced to be a center. Making him a center at that time.

Toews was a wing on the 2010 Canadian Olympic team.
Sure, no idea what the point of your 2nd sentence is.

ClydeLee

Mar 23, 2012
You break down who was at center in games in these playoffs you realize things you forgot. Versteeg centered the 2nd line for some 2010 playoff games. I believe kopecky did for a game or 2 besides Hossa too.

Sharp certainly had the most frequent time centering. But they did #2 center by committee a lot and having thr 2 way force of Toews made that possible.

Giovi

Sponsor
Feb 1, 2009
Patrick Sharp's lack of playing center was a personal choice. It wasn't that he wasn't a good center, he just preferred to play wing... And they accommodated him.
That's how I recall it too.

MarotteMarauder

Jul 23, 2022
So, in 2010 we somehow had a non center (Sharp) playing center and being the 3rd leading scorer in playoffs despite playing out of position? 3 of the top 6 scorers in that playoff run were centers plus John Madden in the lineup. But they weren't solid at C.

2013 run was with Hnadzus who somehow was dissed in this thread. He was the 6th leading forward scorer, seems like a 2nd line C to me. He was toast after that season.

2014 was weak down the middle...and no Cup.

2015 run brought Brad Richards, AKA the corpse. That corpse played well enough to be right on the heels of Hossa and Sharp in scoring.

Seems, that rather than forgetting 19's efforts, some forgot the support the team had up and down the lineup.

Reactions: Pez68

Pez68

Mar 18, 2010
Chicago, IL
So, in 2010 we somehow had a non center (Sharp) playing center and being the 3rd leading scorer in playoffs despite playing out of position? 3 of the top 6 scorers in that playoff run were centers plus John Madden in the lineup. But they weren't solid at C.

2013 run was with Hnadzus who somehow was dissed in this thread. He was the 6th leading forward scorer, seems like a 2nd line C to me. He was toast after that season.

2014 was weak down the middle...and no Cup.

2015 run brought Brad Richards, AKA the corpse. That corpse played well enough to be right on the heels of Hossa and Sharp in scoring.

Seems, that rather than forgetting 19's efforts, some forgot the support the team had up and down the lineup.

2015 center depth was so lacking that Antoine Vermette played wing. :huh:

Handzus was actually perfectly fine in 2013, as well.

Reactions: MarotteMarauder

Hawkaholic

Dec 19, 2006
London, Ont.
None of those guys listed were that great (outside an out of position Sharp) nor top 6 Cs. They were adequate enough because of our depth elsewhere, that's about it.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Finland vs Norway
    Finland vs Norway
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Slovakia vs USA
    Slovakia vs USA
    Wagers: 1
    Staked: $50.00
    Event closes
    • Updated: