Todd Reirden says T.J. Oshie will be out a while | No suspension for Warren Foegele

Jbwest31

Feb 9, 2017
This is definitely one of those gray areas. On one hand, the hit definitely isn’t malicious. On the other hand, it’s still a dangerous play that resulted in an injury. I won’t be surprised if he’s suspended, but I also won’t be upset if he’s not.

Hope TJ makes it back for the later rounds, but that feels like wishful thinking.

Freudian

Clearly deranged
Jul 3, 2003
Doesn't take a lot of force to create a dangerous situation when you cross check someone in the back at that distance from the boards.

Obviously bad luck Oshie got injured, but this should be a suspension.

Crosbyfan

Nov 27, 2003
Pushing or shoving from behind is not illegal in itself. Nor was Oshie looking very vulnerable at the point of the shove.
Was it a dangerous play? Obviously there is some danger in it as you can tell from the result, but outside of the result that shove does not get called ever.
It would obviously be dirty if Oshie was at speed more directly toward the boards, but that looks like an unfortunate result of what at NHL level is considered a hockey play.
If they call that any type of suspension they should re-look at how they call games. Foegele was looking for a competitive advantage with that shove, nothing more. It was not one that would normally cause an NHL player in that position to lose an edge.

Very unfortunate for Oshie.

sfvega

Apr 20, 2015
But OV launched him at a high speed skating down the length of the ice where as this is a low speed nudge by comparison

Absolutely. Ovi was flying and forced Campbell pretty hard right into the boards. This isn't really comparable. And Oshie is one of my favorite players in the league. I hate to see him go down. But he's always had god awful balance except when reverse hitting. Here, he gets a mostly innocuous push and goes into the board about as awkwardly as possible. He did that once as a Blue, where Letang hit him and he essentially did the splits on the boards as awkwardly as I've seen anyone hit the boards. It was a miracle he wasn't injured there. The result is unfortunate, but the hit wasn't much more than a minor penalty.

Reactions: fivesberg

TheDawnOfANewTage

Dahlin, it’ll all be fine
Dec 17, 2018
I broke my collar bone in highschool. When I tried to walk thats exactly how I looked. Squeezing my wrist trying to keep my arm upright

Got mine broken on an interference- f***er got 2 minutes and it wrecked my season. I feel like I just kept it down by my side though, but the memory isn't totally clear- I do remember that getting my jersey off was one of the most painful things I've had to do (coulda cut it off, but it's a pride thing, so you're just raising an arm that doesn't wanna raise until it's high enough that the coach can remove it.. oof).

Anyways, if collarbone.. 4 weeks is minimum normally, but he could potentially play in 3? I waited 4-5 weeks and rebroke it, waited 8 weeks and rebroke it- could also be surgery depending on how you break it. Hoping for sprained wrist, but man that didn't look good.

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
I don't see good reason for a suspension for this. Foegele is just back checking trying to get to a puck that Oshie is protecting and it's not really much of a hit--so there's no real malice to drive him in hard. You're allowed to check the puck carrier. As far as Oshie's being off balance--it's questionable whether Foegele realized it--sometimes the difference between balance and off balance is a split second.

The S5

Jul 27, 2017
Really doesn’t matter, I learned when I was 8 years old playing minor hockey that you can’t hit players from behind into the boards. I learned because I did it, now 8 year old me couldn’t have injured anything yet I was still given a game misconduct. Why is it different for a fully grown man who’s played the game his entire life with the strength to cause harm? He hit Oshie from behind into the boards. It’s pretty black and white.

That is an interesting question. So, why does Wilson run guys from behind continually and not get called?

Reactions: turtle27

The S5

Jul 27, 2017
Orpik’s gonna go hunting now. Wilson too.
Ummm, isn't that what they do all the time? Orpik gets to hits well before the opposing player gets to the puck. Wilson looks like all he does is cruise around the ice hoping to catch a guy in a bad spot.
If they ramp up that garbage even more, it won't matter that Oshie is out of the line up, this thing will be over in 6.

Shagged Yer Nan

Tom Filthson
Feb 15, 2012
NoVa
I don't understand the rationale here; Oshie was never in an eligible position to be hit in the first place. Intent doesn't matter, Oshie is extremely vulnerable (off balance and 6-8ft from the boards) and he took a crosscheck directly to the numbers. Just because this type of "no hit" happens on a game to game basis with no bad results doesn't make this instance a nothing hockey play.

I understand mistakes happen, I really don't think Foegs was trying to bury Oshie like that. But it happened and a bad injury was the outcome. Despite what everyone seems to think, this is classic boarding in one of the most vulnerable spots of the ice (8ft from the boards). I doubt the league will do anything because head contact wasn't involved.

I'm imagining the role reversed now, Rod the Bod would be f***ing furious....I mean look how he handled an injury resulting from a fight between two willing "combatants". Oh but I guess McLovin' did say he was just trying to lift his stick, he's clear :sarcasm:.

Last edited:

southernbeardown54

Apr 23, 2012
Look up Patrick Kane’s broken collarbone hit by Florida’s petrovic. Very similar low back push.

Very dangerous doing that to someone that far from the boards.

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
Canes lost Jordan Martinook in the 1st on a similar unfortunate crash into the boards. Bad luck.

Except Martinook went in to hit Orlov and hurt himself in the process by hyperextending his leg and Foegele crosschecked Oshie in the numbers and sent him head first into the boards which injured his arm/wrist/collarbone. I don't think Foegele was being malicious there and it's not an overly violent action on his part but let's not call these incidents "similar unfortunate crashes." The only thing similar is that two players ended up hurt.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
I don't see good reason for a suspension for this. Foegele is just back checking trying to get to a puck that Oshie is protecting and it's not really much of a hit--so there's no real malice to drive him in hard. You're allowed to check the puck carrier. As far as Oshie's being off balance--it's questionable whether Foegele realized it--sometimes the difference between balance and off balance is a split second.

Not only that, but super comparable hits didn't get a suspension either:

This hit was almost a carbon copy and Petrovic didn't get suspended. A suspension for this would 100% be suspending based on outcome, which the NHL says they don't do. Suspensions become worse with an injury, but an injury doesn't cause a non-suspendable hit to become suspendable.

islandersbob

Jan 1, 2006
saved me
If DoPS has players safety in mind, DANGEROUS plays, like this hit, should carry such a huge penalty that they never happen. Foegele, as every NHL player has been told pretty much from day 1, DON'T hit someone in the numbers that distance from the boards. How many freaking reminders does someone need?

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
Man, players are dropping like flies in this series. Generally speaking I don't like what Foegele did. That area ~2 feet from the boards is the most vulnerable spot on the rink. The consequence from any contact in that space has the potential to be far greater than the action itself so while Foegele didn't viciously crosscheck Osh or attempt to ram him through the boards it was still reckless and dangerous. Not sure if it's suspendable but I don't like it. Players need to be aware of where they are on the rink when they're making contact.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad