Todd Reirden says T.J. Oshie will be out a while | No suspension for Warren Foegele

Copenhagen91

Jan 28, 2016
Wasn’t a violent shove or an intent to injure. Was just a bad play and Oshie was in a bad position and hit the board awkwardly. 2 mins was more than enough.
Really doesn’t matter, I learned when I was 8 years old playing minor hockey that you can’t hit players from behind into the boards. I learned because I did it, now 8 year old me couldn’t have injured anything yet I was still given a game misconduct. Why is it different for a fully grown man who’s played the game his entire life with the strength to cause harm? He hit Oshie from behind into the boards. It’s pretty black and white.

Chan790

Sponsor
Jan 24, 2012
Bingy town, NY
I doubt we see a suspension come of it, that's a 10-times-a-game play that almost 100% certain doesn't get called if Oshie gets up.

There have been plenty of debateable calls and non-calls in this series favoring and disfavoring both sides; I wouldn't be surprised if Foegele gets a stern talking to, but more onus needs to go to frankly-mediocre officiating (I get "swallowing the whistle" because the refs and the NHL don't want officiating seemingly deciding games...but non-calls have let to dangerous liberty-taking even before Oshie was hurt) and I think the officials get "a talk" before Saturday.

illpucks

May 26, 2011
I doubt we see a suspension come of it, that's a 10-times-a-game play that almost 100% certain doesn't get called if Oshie gets up.

There have been plenty of debateable calls and non-calls in this series favoring and disfavoring both sides; I wouldn't be surprised if Foegele gets a stern talking to, but more onus needs to go to frankly-mediocre officiating (I get "swallowing the whistle" because the refs and the NHL don't want officiating seemingly deciding games...but non-calls have let to dangerous liberty-taking even before Oshie was hurt) and I think the officials get "a talk" before Saturday.

If they don't suspend him, he's going to have a meeting with Wilson, and the NHL doesn't want that so they might factor that in so they can control the series.

Ovechkins Wodka

Dec 1, 2007
DC
Oshie will be a big loss. But it will let Tom Wilson go on PP1 where he could be an upgrade.
Second line will likely be Vrana Kuz Hags. Which is our 3 fastest players .
4th line looks horrible now and DSP needs to be called up ASAP

nothingbeatshockey

May 3, 2013
The problem with DOPS all along has been that they tend to base the penalty [suspension/fine/etc] on the outcome and not the action. You have really bad hits where the player isn’t hurt that barely draws the attention of DOPS. Here you have a crosscheck to the back of a player near the boards that wasn’t particularly vicious, but had a bad outcome. So, the DOPS should suspend if the outcome matters. Which is ridiculous and I’ve said it over and over - you suspend based on the action, not the outcome.

Blue and Green

Out to lunch
Dec 17, 2017
Best thing so far in this thread is the post with the tweet that referred to it as a "viscous" crosscheck. I want a minimum 2-game suspension for any hit that resembles a light motor oil and 5 or more games for a real corn syrup type of hit. You can't allow that type of resistance to flow.

This looks like more of a watery hit to me so I don't think any suspension is forthcoming.

Tryamw

Loyal Fan of Jerks
Sponsor
Nov 2, 2016
Durham
And unfortunately I think Oshie made it worse for himself by attempting to play the puck after (the hit) with his hand..

Chan790

Sponsor
Jan 24, 2012
Bingy town, NY
If they don't suspend him, he's going to have a meeting with Wilson, and the NHL doesn't want that so they might factor that in so they can control the series.

I fully expect that the officiating gets a talking to, the calls tighten up, and both teams get admonished before the puck drops that anything like "A talk from Mr. Wilson" or other continued shenanigans will be dealt with harshly.

Buffalo Preds

Jun 18, 2013
Buffalo, NY
Really doesn’t matter, I learned when I was 8 years old playing minor hockey that you can’t hit players from behind into the boards. I learned because I did it, now 8 year old me couldn’t have injured anything yet I was still given a game misconduct. Why is it different for a fully grown man who’s played the game his entire life with the strength to cause harm? He hit Oshie from behind into the boards. It’s pretty black and white.

Thanks for noting that. You get coached on this when you’re a kid, and refs will call you for it every time, because hitting someone who is square with the wall in the numbers is dangerous. Fans who never played might not think it looks like much because it’s often a low speed hit with space between the opponent and the wall, but if a skater gets hit like that, there is very little they can do to stop before hitting the boards with their head or shoulder. Trying to turn out of it means you may be increasing the force on your shoulder/collarbone because of angular momentum.

Zirakzigil

Global Moderator
Jul 5, 2010
Canada
Sucks he got injured, but I don’t see a suspension there. I don’t think there’s even a penalty on that without the injury.

Reactions: cptjeff

Ad

Upcoming events

• Toulouse vs Montpellier
    Toulouse vs Montpellier
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $246.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Hoffenheim vs RB Leipzig
    Hoffenheim vs RB Leipzig
    Wagers: 4