Todd Reirden says T.J. Oshie will be out a while | No suspension for Warren Foegele

Svechhammer

THIS is hockey?
Jun 8, 2017
I mean it sucks, you never want to see players injured, but Oshie put himself in an extremely vulnerable situation and effectively lost control of his own body on his skates. Being touched at all was going to cause that to happen, which you just can't expect a player to not be touched in the playoffs. Did it deserve a 2 min penalty? Probably. Does it deserve a suspension? Hell no

And I saw Ovi's comments last night about players needing to take player safety into their own hands. Yes, I did notice the irony of him saying that after willingly concussing another player with his fists a night before.

Tryamw

Loyal Fan of Jerks
Sponsor
Nov 2, 2016
Durham
Man, players are dropping like flies in this series. Generally speaking I don't like what Foegele did. That area ~2 feet from the boards is the most vulnerable spot on the rink. The consequence from any contact in that space has the potential to be far greater than the action itself so while Foegele didn't viciously crosscheck Osh or attempt to ram him through the boards it was still reckless and dangerous. Not sure if it's suspendable but I don't like it. Players need to be aware of where they are on the rink when they're making contact.
Except it wasn't 2 feet from the boards the contact STOPPED before the edge of the face off circles.. 5.5' at the min.

85 ft wide Face off dots are 44 feet apart and the circles are 15'. 85-44-30 /2=5.5ft

GoldiFox

Apr 21, 2014
Except Martinook went in to hit Orlov and hurt himself in the process by hyperextending his leg and Foegele crosschecked Oshie in the numbers and sent him head first into the boards which injured his arm/wrist/collarbone. I don't think Foegele was being malicious there and it's not an overly violent action on his part but let's not call these incidents "similar unfortunate crashes." The only thing similar is that two players ended up hurt.

Yeah I was at the game and didn't get to see the Martinook replay until later. From where I was on the south end I thought he got tripped into the boards and I was mistaken.

This same Oshie play has happened 3-4 times a game regardless. Faulk got shoved awkwardly into the boards as well and judging by the Oshie hit it would have been a penalty had he been injured. Unfortunate Oshie caught a bad break. Next man up for Washington. Canes themselves are down Svechnikov, Ferland, and Martinook.

I was surprised by how physical Washington wanted to play game 1 and 2. Then game 3 with the Ovi/Svechnikov fight kicked up the physicality even more. Ratchet up the violence in a series enough and injuries are inevitable. Cost of playing that type of game.

Ryuji Yamazaki

Do yuu undastahn!?
Jul 22, 2015
I mean it sucks, you never want to see players injured, but Oshie put himself in an extremely vulnerable situation and effectively lost control of his own body on his skates. Being touched at all was going to cause that to happen, which you just can't expect a player to not be touched in the playoffs. Did it deserve a 2 min penalty? Probably. Does it deserve a suspension? Hell no

And I saw Ovi's comments last night about players needing to take player safety into their own hands. Yes, I did notice the irony of him saying that after willingly concussing another player with his fists a night before.

This is such a BS cop out. He didn’t put him self in a vulnerable position and he didn’t lose balance. He was fighting for the puck and Foegele blatantly shoves him in the numbers.

People are completely out to lunch with this whole “Oshie was off balance” nonsense. I suppose if I was skating hard and some 200+ lbs. guy shoved me in the back I’d be “off balance” too.

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
Except it wasn't 2 feet from the boards the contact STOPPED before the edge of the face off circles.. 5.5' at the min.

Arguing about another foot or whatever is irrelevant -- that's why I put the "~" sign before the "2" in my post. It's still the most vulnerable spot on the rink and crosschecking a player in the back in that spot is still dangerous, even if the force isn't excessive. It's an awkward location where players are trying to figure out how to navigate their next move given their proximity to the boards and they're prone to being off-balance there. We just had a guy on my beer league team go through the same type of incident and he now has a plate and 7 screws holding his collarbone together. Again, my opinion is I'm not sure I'd suspend for the hit since the action wasn't really malicious itself but I just don't like guys making contact with other players from behind at all in that area.

Svechhammer

THIS is hockey?
Jun 8, 2017
This is such a BS cop out. He didn’t put him self in a vulnerable position and he didn’t lose balance. He was fighting for the puck and Foegele blatantly shoves him in the numbers.

People are completely out to lunch with this whole “Oshie was off balance” nonsense. I suppose if I was skating hard and some 200+ lbs. guy shoved me in the back I’d be “off balance” too.
The guy was stretched out lunging for the puck and lost an edge after being touched. He put himself in that position to get hurt. It sucks, but part of hockey is not putting yourself into a position to get hurt.

Or at least, isn't that what you said about Svech?

Reactions: SaskCanesFan

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
Yeah I was at the game and didn't get to see the Martinook replay until later. From where I was on the south end I thought he got tripped into the boards and I was mistaken.

This same Oshie play has happened 3-4 times a game regardless. Faulk got shoved awkwardly into the boards as well and judging by the Oshie hit it would have been a penalty had he been injured. Unfortunate Oshie caught a bad break. Next man up for Washington. Canes themselves are down Svechnikov, Ferland, and Martinook.

I was surprised by how physical Washington wanted to play game 1 and 2. Then game 3 with the Ovi/Svechnikov fight kicked up the physicality even more. Ratchet up the violence in a series enough and injuries are inevitable. Cost of playing that type of game.

Yeah, it's getting more physical than I was expecting. There didn't seem to be any animosity between these two teams but whoever advances is going to have had a chunk bitten out of them. As for Faulk, like I said in the post above this one, I hate the subtle pushes from behind close to the boards. There's just too much vulnerability for players in that situation.

GoldiFox

Apr 21, 2014

Oshie doesn't have the right to ice in the offensive zone. He tried to slow down Foegele 5 feet off the boards. Foegele plays a fast, heavy game and is going to take that hit every time.

I suppose Caps fans wanted Foegele to just let Oshie have possession free and clear 15 feet from the net? Should Foegele have bear hugged Oshie and gently placed him on the ice? Oshie made a bad decision trying to gain an advantage. Unfortunate break on the boards.

Ryuji Yamazaki

Do yuu undastahn!?
Jul 22, 2015
The guy was stretched out lunging for the puck and lost an edge after being touched. He put himself in that position to get hurt. It sucks, but part of hockey is not putting yourself into a position to get hurt.

There's 3 lies in this sentence.

1) Stretched out lunging for the puck
2) lost an edge
3) being "touched"

What video are you watching?

Reactions: nothingbeatshockey

Beauner

Jun 14, 2011
Pittsburgh
Arguing about another foot or whatever is irrelevant -- that's why I put the "~" sign before the "2" in my post. It's still the most vulnerable spot on the rink and crosschecking a player in the back in that spot is still dangerous, even if the force isn't excessive. It's an awkward location where players are trying to figure out how to navigate their next move given their proximity to the boards and they're prone to being off-balance there. We just had a guy on my beer league team go through the same type of incident and he now has a plate and 7 screws holding his collarbone together. Again, my opinion is I'm not sure I'd suspend for the hit since the action wasn't really malicious itself but I just don't like guys making contact with other players from behind at all in that area.
It's hockey (and the Stanley Cup Playoffs for that matter), you're not going to just let a guy skate around in your zone untouched because there's a .2% chance something like this happens. Foegele is trying to impede Oshie, not hurt him.

gtrower

Feb 10, 2016
Still don’t understand how the elbow to Kuzy’s head in G2 got pushed under the rug. That was an auto-suspension in my book. But it looks like DOPS is still just looking for injuries. So this will probably get a game or two.

Honestly it should. Wasn’t vicious, but at the end of the day you crosschecked a defenseless player in the back 5 yards from the boards. That’s a reckless play and you should have to own it. And his explanation was horseshit. “I was trying to lift his stick.”

gtrower

Feb 10, 2016

The irony in this post is just too glorious. :laugh:

Unspecified

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Apr 29, 2015
Kinda looked like he tried to settle the puck down with is hand then lost an edge. Didn't really seem like much a push from Foegele.
Oh get the f*** out of here with that shit. He cross-checked him in the numbers 5 feet away from the boards.

ZeroPucksGiven

Feb 28, 2017
Wait- so Oshie doesn't like getting hit when people are close to the boards because they can be dangerous plays?

Hmmm.....

Ridley Simon

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Marin County — SF Bay Area, CA
There is no bias by anyone against the Caps, why do so many fanbases think there is some kind of bias by other fans, the officials, media or league against their team?

Unfortunate play, might get a game but come on, the fact that it's the Caps has no bearing.

Lol. Seriously?

Of course their is bias by then their fanbases. Specifically the Canes here. Their fans have been all up in arms over the Ovechkin beateown and other Caps related plays.

gtrower

Feb 10, 2016
Cool story, bro

You say Oshie is at fault for his injury because he put himself in a vulnerable position but then turn around and continue to cry about Svechnikov getting injured after dropping gloves?

And you don’t see the irony? It’s almost too good not to be a troll.

Reactions: nothingbeatshockey

Chardo

Apr 27, 2007
I honestly am at a loss listening to Cap fans in this thread. You are all a bunch of hypocrites. When you have, take his head off Tom Wilson on your team, you lose the right to complain about a hit on any of your players.

I was about to post something like this. The hypocrisy is rich.

TheDawnOfANewTage

Dahlin, it’ll all be fine
Dec 17, 2018

What a terrible comparison- there's a huge difference between choosing to fight and choosing to.. play hockey? It's like saying playing chicken with a train and getting in a car accident that was the other guy's fault are the same thing.

Chardo

Apr 27, 2007
Oshie doesn't have the right to ice in the offensive zone. He tried to slow down Foegele 5 feet off the boards. Foegele plays a fast, heavy game and is going to take that hit every time.

I suppose Caps fans wanted Foegele to just let Oshie have possession free and clear 15 feet from the net? Should Foegele have bear hugged Oshie and gently placed him on the ice? Oshie made a bad decision trying to gain an advantage. Unfortunate break on the boards.

Aside from the crease, no player has a right to any part of the ice.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad