Todd Reirden says T.J. Oshie will be out a while | No suspension for Warren Foegele

Svechhammer

THIS is hockey?
Jun 8, 2017
You say Oshie is at fault for his injury because he put himself in a vulnerable position but then turn around and continue to cry about Svechnikov getting injured after dropping gloves?

And you don’t see the irony? It’s almost too good not to be a troll.
Yeah that's totally what happened. Totally not pointing out that now you all are so concerned about player safety after gloating over Ovi knocking out Svech with his fists the previous game. There totally wasn't a main board thread where numerous Caps fans couldn't hold back their glee over it. Nah, that didn't happen.

But you're right, lets be concerned about player safety now

gtrower

Feb 10, 2016
Yeah that's totally what happened. Totally not pointing out that now you all are so concerned about player safety after gloating over Ovi knocking out Svech with his fists the previous game. There totally wasn't a main board thread where numerous Caps fans couldn't hold back their glee over it. Nah, that didn't happen.

But you're right, lets be concerned about player safety now

What are you talking about? That’s literally what you just said. That Oshie was at fault for putting himself in a vulnerable position. Did you not? Do I need to quote it again?

I was in that same thread you were. Nobody was celebrating Svech’s injury. You don’t cheer when a guy can’t get off the ice. And you certainly shouldn’t boo a guy staggering to the locker room holding his shoulder.

You can’t see the difference between a guy getting injured in a fight and a guy getting injured on a boarding? You can’t see that those aren’t equivalent?

Last edited:

Chardo

Apr 27, 2007
Oshie needs to keep his head up and be aware where he is on the ice
Aware of where he is? He was 15 feet from the boards. Even with his head up, he still shouldn't expect or prepare for an illegal hit from behind. But he was 15 feet from the boards when contact was initiated, 10 feet when he started falling, 5 feet when he hit the ice. The injury is unfortunate, but this was not a malicious act any more than a crosscheck in the back at center ice.

Reactions: TooManyHumans

izzy

go
Apr 29, 2012
Nova Scotia
I broke my collar bone in highschool. When I tried to walk thats exactly how I looked. Squeezing my wrist trying to keep my arm upright

yeah same here

except my coach made me finish the 3rd period of my hockey game which maybe was the worst experience of my life

ZeroPucksGiven

Feb 28, 2017
What are you talking about? That’s literally what you just said. That Oshie was at fault for putting himself in a vulnerable position. Did you not? Do I need to quote it again?

I was in that same thread you were. Nobody was celebrating Svech’s injury. You don’t cheer when a guy can’t get off the ice.

You can’t see the difference between a guy getting injured in a fight and a guy getting injured on a boarding? You can’t see that those aren’t equivalent?

"Keeping your head up" and "being aware where you are on the ice" were literally the reasons given why Wilson shouldn't be suspended.
So why shouldn't the same standard apply?

TheDawnOfANewTage

Dahlin, it’ll all be fine
Dec 17, 2018
Wait- so Oshie doesn't like getting hit when people are close to the boards because they can be dangerous plays?

Hmmm.....

Gee, if only there were some sorta "two wrongs don't make a right" sorta thing we learned when we were f***ing 5 years old.

Get the f*** outta here with this hypocrisy, he put himself in that position sorta bs. You wanna say there was no intent, it happens, fine. But this justification is trash, deep down you know it's trash, stop doing it.

Reactions: gtrower

ZeroPucksGiven

Feb 28, 2017
Gee, if only there were some sorta "two wrongs don't make a right" sorta thing we learned when we were ****ing 5 years old.

Get the **** outta here with this hypocrisy, he put himself in that position sorta bs. You wanna say there was no intent, it happens, fine. But this justification is trash, deep down you know it's trash, stop doing it.

So my post above. Do the same standards not apply?

nothingbeatshockey

May 3, 2013
It wasn’t a “tap”.
It wasn’t a “push”.
It wasn’t a “shove”.
It was contact to the numbers with two hands on a horizontally oriented stick - it was a crosscheck.
It was a cross check to an unsuspecting player.
It was a crosscheck to an unsuspecting player 6 feet, give or take, from the boards. Players know better than to make “that” hit at “that” spot.
It was only called a 2 minute minor, but there looks to be a resulting injury.
These hits do not happen “all the time every game”, or we’d have threads about this “all the time, every game.”
This has zero to do with Ovechkin-Svechnikov.
This has zero to do with Oshie-LeTang.
This has zero to do with Martinhook.

I don’t know if the league will look at it, but it should. Any honest Canes fan would admit the same if it was one of their’s who was crosschecked in this manner.

Reactions: IlikeEich

gtrower

Feb 10, 2016
"Keeping your head up" and "being aware where you are on the ice" were literally the reasons given why Wilson shouldn't be suspended.
So why shouldn't the same standard apply?

Oh hi more Pens fans desperate insert Wilson into every thread. If Tom made this same hit you’d be amazon priming the pitchforks.

izzy

go
Apr 29, 2012
Nova Scotia
Please tell me this coach was fired shortly after this? WTF

haha nooope. also, in the ER after they thought i dislocated my shoulder and gave me a needle to numb it when they popped it back in. missed 3 times and right before they were going to pop it back in they got the xray back and realized it was a broken collarbone

rough night for sure

(tbh the coach was my dad lmao)

Reactions: JMUcapsfan07
Sep 19, 2008
listening to caps podcast right now

lot of injuries piling up for these clubs. Oshie and Kempny for DC and a litany for Carolina. I'm concerned though about how dirty the play was. It was low brow let's not sugarcoat anything. You can't check someone in the back like that.

ZeroPucksGiven

Feb 28, 2017
Oh hi more Pens fans desperate insert Wilson into every thread. If Tom made this same hit you’d be amazon priming the pitchforks.

Are you going to answer the question if the same standards apply or just attack my allegiance?
I'm just saying that certain fan bases shouldn't create silly excuses when their players do something dumb. Because eventually the shoe lands on the other foot.

I'm mean the next excuse is "he should be aware who is on the ice with him". So Oshie should have responsibility for the hit too, right?

Reactions: Shockmaster

T REX

Feb 28, 2013

I was in that same thread you were. Nobody was celebrating Svech’s injury. You don’t cheer when a guy can’t get off the ice. And you certainly shouldn’t boo a guy staggering to the locker room holding his shoulder.

I am pretty sure they were booing Ovi because he was ranting and raving at the same time Oshie was leaving. That was my interpretation.

TheDawnOfANewTage

Dahlin, it’ll all be fine
Dec 17, 2018
So my post above. Do the same standards not apply?

What? Oshie knows where he is on the ice- what he doesn't know is that he's gonna get shoved in the numbers. Once again, argue that it wasn't a vicious shove and you at least have an argument, but putting this on Oshie's positioning is asinine.

Do that and I'll go back 7 years and say Kaleta's boarding on Richards shoulda been 2 minutes at worst- and that was one of the nastier ones I've ever seen.

And once again, this may lose me points, but- normally I argue against result factoring into suspension, but I think it should be considered here. Because this play admittedly does happen every game, and it shouldn't, but it's tough to suspend a guy every single time it happens. But here the guy gets hurt, that helps the Canes in the series, and even though I believe Foegle had no intent- you can't allow it. Cause the Cookes of the world would be putting sticks in players backs every chance they get, knowing that 1 outta 10 of em will end up in a nasty injury. Even just in this series, it gives the Canes an edge as the result of a dangerous penalty- honest mistake from Foegle, but you can't let that sorta thing be rewarded.

Chardo

Apr 27, 2007
It wasn’t a “tap”.
It wasn’t a “push”.
It wasn’t a “shove”.
It was contact to the numbers with two hands on a horizontally oriented stick - it was a crosscheck.
It was a cross check to an unsuspecting player.
It was a crosscheck to an unsuspecting player 6 feet, give or take, from the boards. Players know better than to make “that” hit at “that” spot.
It was only called a 2 minute minor, but there looks to be a resulting injury.
These hits do not happen “all the time every game”, or we’d have threads about this “all the time, every game.”
This has zero to do with Ovechkin-Svechnikov.
This has zero to do with Oshie-LeTang.
This has zero to do with Martinhook.

I don’t know if the league will look at it, but it should. Any honest Canes fan would admit the same if it was one of their’s who was crosschecked in this manner.

We kinda do. Maybe not every game, but all the time.

Bruinaura

Resident Cookie Monster
Mar 29, 2014
haha nooope. also, in the ER after they thought i dislocated my shoulder and gave me a needle to numb it when they popped it back in. missed 3 times and right before they were going to pop it back in they got the xray back and realized it was a broken collarbone

rough night for sure

(tbh the coach was my dad lmao)
B1oMSRJiTq63e.gif

Reactions: Kuzya daddy

ZeroPucksGiven

Feb 28, 2017
What? Oshie knows where he is on the ice- what he doesn't know is that he's gonna get shoved in the numbers. Once again, argue that it wasn't a vicious shove and you at least have an argument, but putting this on Oshie's positioning is asinine.

Do you think Oskar Sundquivst knows he's gonna get smoked & blindsided after he takes a harmless shot in a pre season game?
I doubt it

To be clear I am against what happened to Oshie. I don't think the intent was for him to go flying into the boards so the shove wasn't bad, but it was reckless and the Car player has to bear some responsibility for his actions

I'm sure all Caps fans would agree with the sentence above, but for some reason it doesn't apply to their own team when we talk about Wilson's trashy antics. We call that hypocrisy where I'm from.

So it's too bad for Oshie really, but how many games has Tom Wilson erased from other players' careers? This is a full dose of karma for the Caps organization/teammates that has defended poor Tommy Wilson...well the chickens have come home to roost.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad